Short stack play

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright, I withdrew part of my bankroll and deposited into empire poker and started a little bonus whoring. I opened up 4 $10NL tables and bought in for the minimum + 10BB and started playing short-stack. It's not so much of poker, I just want to clear my bonus fast and decided to try it out. 500 hands in 2 hours, that's not bad. seen about 20% of the flop with these 500 hands.

Basically, I just raise/re-raise with AA-QQ, AK, AQ in any position and push if the flop helped me, if the flop's not too scary for big pocket pairs. Yeah, I limped a little with suited connectors, mid-small PP in mid-late position. Once again, it's shove if I made a hand. I just leave the table when I double up and look for another table.

Surprisingly, it works like a charm. I'm up 2 max buy-ins in 2 hours and cleared about 100+ raked hands. The bonus can be cleared pretty quickly this way. Of course, it's not really playing poker.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really intending to rain on your parade, but a sample of 500 hands is pretty small, so your winnings could quite easily be within the normal range for variance, which means using the result from such a sample to support using this play style is mathematically dodgy if not completely invalid. That said, it's pretty easy to win at that level playing only solid starting hands and basically waiting for people who only see their own cards to give you their money.

U Wanna Fold

U Wanna Fold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really intending to rain on your parade, but a sample of 500 hands is pretty small, so your winnings could quite easily be within the normal range for variance, which means using the result from such a sample to support using this play style is mathematically dodgy if not completely invalid. That said, it's pretty easy to win at that level playing only solid starting hands and basically waiting for people who only see their own cards to give you their money.

You aren't always this negative, are you Argonius? Great job man! Nice Bonus whoring ;)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Ed Miller advocates precisely this strategy in one of his books, and apparently it can be quite successful if you just want to make money. It's not poker though.

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Agreed, it's not really a big sample, and I was only looking to clear my bonus fast. :D Cleared in a few hours. I've read on 2+2 about ed miller's short stack play. Since I was purely looking for a fast way to boost my mini BR, I thought, why not try it? Chris Ferguson used this method to turn $1 into $20,000 within a few months.

Of course, I'm not trying to duplicate that feat, just thought I'll try it for a little fun. Like said, it's not really playing poker.