SB vertigo;

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live $1-$2 NL. Villain BB raises 5bbs and two callers including UTG. Hero calls with Q9s. Flop is Js,5s,5d. Hero bets 6 bbs and only BB calls. Turn makes Hero a Q-high flush and bets 10bbs. Call. Hero shoves on the river and loses to JJs full. Analysis. :confused:

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well done by BB
You didn't have the nuts, but played like you did...and lost, a demonstation of the downside of all-in, if you don't win, you loose all your chips.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure but maybe I played badly. When I flushed the turn and got called, I had to decide to check fold the river?

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure but maybe I played badly. When I flushed the turn and got called, I had to decide to check fold the river?
depending the stack size, but a general rule is never to bet more than 50% in any hand, unless ....
Looking back (always easy), this was one of these hands where the 50% rule was good.
On the other hand, there were only few hands that would beat you 55, J5, Axs, Kxs, and JJ, with a preflop raise of 5bb with J5 making no sence, but with limpers, 55, JJ, AKs, ATs, KTs, K9s, maybe A5s, are all hands that could trigger a 5-6BB raise preflop.
In case you would have made a value bet on the river, villain might have shoved, then it was time to fold (if you believed the villain better hand).
Overall, for me, this happens. On average Q high flush is good enough, but there were signs that the villain had good cards (or was bluffing).

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling the 4 limpers was golden. Calling the 5bb raise with two callers OOP was highly suspect. Then when I semi-bluffed on flop and bet the turn(17bbs and not 10bbs) for value, I should've been alert enough to check/fold the river. The wind up is that I ended up trapping myself pre-flop. Severe violation of the rule: "when out of position, think strongly about folding."

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree oop, in this situation Q9s became risky, maybe in this position it's better to try to limit the pot size. Instead of fold you could also limp and postflop (flush draw) keep min-raising (to limit the pot size). When villain bets big, then fold.
but it's also poker, you cannot always win:D

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of combinations beat you here. It's always tough when you feel you have a made hand but checking or trying a value bet on the river would've been the best play, in hindsight. It's also annoying when you put someone on a range and they flip cards you never thought were possible. Best advice I can give you is be careful preflop especially with so many calls. Maybe only play something that could flop a premium hand if there's 3+ Players going to the flop.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think Q9s is a long-term money maker in the SB. Best to wait for a better hand before getting involved.