Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In tournaments I can sporadically hit a card on two on the flop where I can make a hand, however, in cash games it seems to take much longer for me to match a flop with the cards I have. For instance, I have hit four of a kind once and a straight flush in tournaments and I have not (yet) hit two pair in a cash game despite the fact that I played a few hundred hands.

Are the same random card generators used for both cash and tournament games, that is, do they work off the same engine?

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My gut feeling is that they don't have different engines, but who knows. If anything, their engines would be geared toward dishing out more high hands in cash games for increased rakes.

My question to you would be do you fold more often in RNGs vs. Tournys? I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but if you do fold more often then maybe you're just not seeing the better hands because you're playing tighter. Keep in mind cash game is very different from tournaments and playing tighter is usually a good idea, but it may also explain the reductino in premium hands you get on the flop and later streets.

M

Moral_B

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My gut feeling is that they don't have different engines, but who knows. If anything, their engines would be geared toward dishing out more high hands in cash games for increased rakes.

My question to you would be do you fold more often in RNGs vs. Tournys? I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but if you do fold more often then maybe you're just not seeing the better hands because you're playing tighter. Keep in mind cash game is very different from tournaments and playing tighter is usually a good idea, but it may also explain the reductino in premium hands you get on the flop and later streets.
I think the engines are the same, but in cash games the cards are less different.

jashiggs

jashiggs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nothing differs. a couple of hundred hands is a very small sample. The RNG will work the same.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There may be a small difference with how much of the deck is being used in a hand- less cards left to hit.

RNG is the same.