Response to 3-bet (constructing 4-bet range)

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll post an example hand for reference. Opponent here is 24/21 with a 7% 3bet.

Question is what to do with 88-JJ.

Against a wider 3-bet range I think it would be profitable to 4-bet 3x with 88, 99. Flat call with TT-JJ Value 4-bet QQ+, AJs+ AQo+. I ran the numbers with 99 at least and it looks profitable. A lot better than just calling.

Here's the hand for reference. Being 3-bet where we'll have to play OOP. Let me know if my thinking is wrong.

Yatahay Network - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (MP): 112 BB
CO: 116 BB
BTN: 106 BB
SB: 340 BB
BB: 121.4 BB
UTG: 91.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9 9

fold, Hero raises to 2.4 BB, fold, BTN raises to 8.2 BB Sb BB fold... Hero ???

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this type of situations is standard Vs a 3Bet of 7% being OOP is call with those hands 88-JJ. If you make 4Bet you will suffer a lot when the opponent calls or 5Bet. My advice is to focus on learning to play postflop when you are OOP.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I have to agree with the previous poster, usually 88-JJ OOP I would look to call a flop c bet, and maybe reevaluate on the turn depending on the cards. It ight seem like 99 is a profitable 4 bet but you're not going to ever be getting called by anything worse making you significantly behind lots of his calling range, and not that far ahead of any of it

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great thread and question.

Can be a fold or a call.

If it was a possible re-steal play from btn, would that make grounds to 4-bet?

If you call the pot is 12ishbb

I'd feel slightly behind, but the 99's is totally worth the call I would have thought myself.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll post an example hand for reference. Opponent here is 24/21 with a 7% 3bet.

Question is what to do with 88-JJ.

Against a wider 3-bet range I think it would be profitable to 4-bet 3x with 88, 99. Flat call with TT-JJ Value 4-bet QQ+, AJs+ AQo+. I ran the numbers with 99 at least and it looks profitable. A lot better than just calling.

Here's the hand for reference. Being 3-bet where we'll have to play OOP. Let me know if my thinking is wrong.

Yatahay Network - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (MP): 112 BB
CO: 116 BB
BTN: 106 BB
SB: 340 BB
BB: 121.4 BB
UTG: 91.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9 9

fold, Hero raises to 2.4 BB, fold, BTN raises to 8.2 BB Sb BB fold... Hero ???

I like your idea of widening the 4-betting range, but you didn't mention using bluffs.

The best hands for 4-betting light tend to be A2s-A5s for a few reasons

#1 They have an Ace which blocks a lot of the continuing range of opponent
#2 They have 30% equity against big pairs (which will call the 4-bet)
#3 They can flop strong flush draw + overs which you can play for all the chips

With 88-JJ if you 4-bet and get called you still can't confidently play for stacks on low boards because your opponents can flat the 4-bet with KK/QQ still. Whereas with the suited aces you'll never run into this issue.

Also the hands that peel the 4-bet are typically suited broadway, so against them again the medium pairs don't do as well.

Unless you can 4-bet for all in (which then the range you have is great), using blocker hands like Axs and occasionally QJo will serve you better as you'll get more folds from your opponents and not run into troublesome spots after the flop.

Hope that helps!

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
24/21/7 is very solid stats - so I would opt for a more balanced range to defend or give up this table at NL5.

With this stack size HJ vs BTN, 99 should be mostly a 3bet calling hand and perhaps very low frequency 4bet. Adjust if you believe villain overfold to 4bet