Requiem For Pocket Jacks

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently read an article solely about Pocket Jacks by Daniel Negreanu that I would like to share with you.

Many players feel unlucky with Pocket Jacks. Well, it's not so much being unlucky, it's the fact they don't value or play them correctly.

In Hold'em, there is a difference between Pocket Queens and Pocket Jacks. With queens, there are only two overcards that could hit on the flop. With J-J, there are three overcards which makes the hand more difficult to play.

If there is no overcard on the flop, you still have trouble if it was a potential straight.

I like to quotew this next statement b3ecuase I think it sums up Pocket Jacks in general. "J-J is the one hand that seems too strong to fold yet not strong enough to hold if there is much action ahead of you." You have to be careful when you play pocket jacks. Actually, there may be some situations where you should fold them before the flop.

Even if you do hit your set, you still don't feel safe. So, protect your hand on the flop with a good size bet.

It's tough to fold your pocket jacks on a flop like 9-6-2 rainbow. Even though there aren't many hands that could beat you right now, you should bet aggressively with them. If you get raised, then you're in a dilemma.

What it comes down to is your judgement. Pocket Jacks are not easy toplay, but then, the same can be said in poker.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that pocket Jacks is THE toughest hand to play,, playing JJ is where your skill comes in,,you have to know how to read the other person and go with what it tells you,,>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> buck:hello:

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ugh Pocket Jacks..Tough to play well, but easy for me to lay down because of past problems with them.. Almost always I will raise pre-flop with them regardless of position to thin the field because obviously jacks do not play well against a full table.. Occasionally I will limp in to disguise my hand and hope to hit a set and get payed off.. Risky I know but Jacks don't look so hot when the board comes down Ace King King or the like.. Usually depending on the player I'll fold if an overcard appears on the flop and I don't hit my set and they are betting into me.. It's safe to say Jacks are my 2nd least favorite hand besides Big Slick..

whyareunvs

whyareunvs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Hooks are a pain but I think if you have good card sense then go with your gut.

H

hellwolves

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i hate hooks, they make or break you, personally i try my best not to get dragged all-in preflop w/ that hand, they've made me a LOT of money but they've also lost me a LOT of money...

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them just like any other top ten pre-flop hand.. Like I own them!
Raise pre-flop and a contination bet to find out where I stand and possibly take down the pot either pre-flop or at the flop. Never be scared to play a top ten pre flop hand.

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear a lot of people that have a stigma about Jacks. I've never really had a problem with them. Default play: raise 4-5x preflop. If I get reraised, i normally will lay down the hand. This, of course, changes depending on the number of players at the table. If there's like 5 players or less, i may decide to take stand with them.. there's only 3 hands that have you dominated preflop. 3 that are a coinflip.

If at a full table, i get a caller or two with a 4-5xBB raise... i'll usually put out a continuation-bet about 3/4 pot. UNLESS an ace falls, in which case i'm pretty much done with the hand (unless i hit the set of course). If i get cold-called, i quickly take count of what draws are possible.. straight/flush. And will bet if the next card does not help the draw(s). I do usually continuation bet if a king hits though, as it's slightly less likely to be held than an Ace is.. and Queen even morese.

At any point if i get raised and i have not hit a set.. i'm out. So simply put, I like to play them aggressively. Short-handed i like to get my money in with them every once in a while, depending on the situation. And I'll always fold to a raise at a full table if i've not hit the set.

P

Purposeful1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had a lot of trouble with Js in the past...

So basically what you guys are suggesting is...
1). Thin out the competition with a preflop raise.
2). Take it easy if there are any Q-A on the flop or likely draws.
3). Play moderately aggressively if there's a rainbow low flop, since people with cards to match those probably folded on the preflop.
4). Don't be afraid to lay 'em down if there's a threat (which sucks for suckouts, but it's risky).

U

unlucky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually like to see a cheap flop with them and hope for a set. Seen many a player lose their stack with these.

Elmer_Fudd

Elmer_Fudd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I can play JJ against one or two opponents I raise and play it fast. If not, I treat it much like I would treat 77 - as a drawing hand. Drop those Jacks on the flop if you have a lot of players in and some significant resistance.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to bet around the pot with them and hope for a set, straight draw or a bluff oppertunity. I find them very easy to bluff with in most cases because odds are that you're going to flop a good hand. The turn and river can kill you so you need to watch your opponents. If all under cards or an Ace or King flop you might be beat but you should still be able to bluff them out of it and still have that shot to catch samething with the last two cards. Like I said, pay attention to every detail of the table and try to get a good read.