Reading the table

C

Crocodile King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stepping up but still playing micro stakes ( usually $50 rooms).

I'm playing on the weak / conservative side but my bankroll is growing with that style of play there.

I feel my weakest piece right now is reading the players at the table.

Some things are obvious.... who is the aggressor, bluffer, maniac, THE ROCK, loose (pretty much everybody, but Im probably to tight).
Watching and keeping notes on pre and post flops bets.
I do keep these things in mind and try to have a strategy for those players...push, trap, avoid....

Often Ill play 3 rooms , say 2 $50 rooms and 1 $100 room. In the lower rooms I'm just playing my cards and in the bigger room I'm spending alot more time there trying to get reads on people. (cause I cant observe all 3 well)
I was even using a dry erase marker on my screen. Now I have a dry erase board with the seats in permanent marker.

I'm thinking I should pick one thing to look for and then add on as I read that attribute better.

What would you say are the top 5 - 10 priority things I should be trying to read at the table?

Thanks

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
are you talking about Ring games or MTT`s,,, if you cant read 3 tables at once then i would stick to 1 table,,, in MTT`s its hard to get reads, you just start reading players and they move you, then your back to square 1,, i think you can make more money playing 1 game at a time, cause your more focused,, gl. buck:D

C

Crocodile King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mostly ring games.

Online mutliple table ring games has really spoiled me as I dont have to be SO patient wainting for decent cards.

I doubt Ill go down to 1 table at a time (unless Im moving up a level).
I do however have a "focus" table like mentioned above.

amygrantfan

amygrantfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in online poker, i think the best read is by betting and timing. i've found some people who always bet/check/fold quickly give some tells if there's a pause. but other than that, i think just keeping your notes on who raises on anything, who bullies, who bluffs, and who is too tight will help you take your read. would also suggest playing less tables to get a better focus. i know when i multitask, i don't do nearly as well as when i'm just focusing on one game.

V

vivaitalia1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how much bankroll do you have?

amygrantfan

amygrantfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not sure if you were responding to my post or the original guy. but for me, i have about $5, primarily won from freerolls. sad, huh?

Goldog

Goldog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you're doing alright.

Here's one I was able to use to take down some blinds.

Late in a MTT I was all in on an A high flop with AK vs A6. My opponent rivered a 6. ouch :mad:

He typed "sorry" in the chat box. NP that's poker. :)

His next BB I was SURE he would give it up since he just dealt me a bad beat so I made a decent raise with T8. He was halfway across the table but somehow no one else even bothered me. He was sorry for the bad beat and I took advantage. :D

These were huge blinds and it got me back into a decent chip position. I wouldn't have done it w/o the "sorry" tell.

Goldog

C

Crocodile King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL
I might say sorry to someone on chat (people I chat regularly with) but if I have a chance to bury them the next hand I will. Hell the best time to kick them is when they are down. You see it alot, people take a bad beat that pretty much knocks them out of the game and they are all in next hand.

Politeness and friendship are one thing an playing is another.

So I guess nobody has any tips for me.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmmm...dry erase marker on the screeen eh? CRT monitor or LCD? ive been wondering if i can use a dry erase marker on my LCD, i know you can use it on a CRT.

my main problem trying to read people is that i cant focus on the table itself, like i cant watch the table because its so boring. i have to be like multitasking like looking around on the internet or something, watching TV while i play. i guess this is probably why i like live games much better? lol. any advice for me? (sry i kinda stole your thread here, just...show the love, haha)

C

Crocodile King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Onlie multi table has spoiled my live play. With only 1 table I get bored.

Watching your cards and theirs and other tables is VERY multi tasking.

I use the small dry erase cause it has more room and wont hurt my screen.

I mark how many hands they played, put them into categories....tight,loose, aggressive, weak, strong, what some hands are they played, pre flop raises.....

To be honest I dont think it has helped me much.

Bodog has a notes feature and I think that has helped me alot.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Onlie multi table has spoiled my live play. With only 1 table I get bored.

Watching your cards and theirs and other tables is VERY multi tasking.

I use the small dry erase cause it has more room and wont hurt my screen.

I mark how many hands they played, put them into categories....tight,loose, aggressive, weak, strong, what some hands are they played, pre flop raises.....

To be honest I dont think it has helped me much.

Bodog has a notes feature and I think that has helped me alot.

lol I will stick to HUD, works much better then coloring my screen. :D

C

chefantwon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally, the bets and the raises will tell you what folks have in their hand IF they are playing tight. However, if the someone always raises 3x the BB then you may have a problem reading what they have on a specific hand.

I can generally tell what folks have IF they play straight up. Now on a turbo table its gets rather a pain as folks move in on sub par hands.

bhasin

bhasin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when playin on micro stake its hard to read people especially from betting pattterns because some of them don't know how much to bet or when to bet

bhasin

bhasin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i like turbos because they obviously are completed very quickly and you have to play a lot of hands u cant sit on ur chips and wait fot the top 10 hands. it suits me better because i get impatient sometimes when im playin in a tournament and i keep on checking how many people are left and it seems to take ages and this makes me play stupid hands and i start playing like a jackal and soon enough im eliminated.

C

Crocodile King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when playin on micro stake its hard to read people especially from betting pattterns because some of them don't know how much to bet or when to bet
NO KIDDING !!!!!!!
6 - 8 - 10 - 20 - 80 XBB OR MORE.

Its almost a completely different game.

Turbo is not for me. I play fairly tight and lossen up some on position.