Quitting a session

GrindstonePoker

GrindstonePoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I respect that point of view but my bankroll is not as deep as I’d like at this point. I hit my stop points and then evaluate the session. I’m trying to go from a fish to a baby shark right now. Slow build until I’m ready to make the next step. I fare pretty well right now and look to improve everyday wether at the table or away from it.

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I respect that point of view but my bankroll is not as deep as I’d like at this point. I hit my stop points and then evaluate the session. I’m trying to go from a fish to a baby shark right now. Slow build until I’m ready to make the next step. I fare pretty well right now and look to improve everyday wether at the table or away from it.

I hear you Grindstone. Just throwing stuff out there from the book perspective. I rarely follow that advice when trying to build. :D To be honest, and from a personal and not book perspective over the years...I will always hit and run when trying to build a roll and would have been out of there in a heartbeat in the OPs situation. Along with grabbing some Chinese food and a few drinks for a victory lap.:cool:

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
quit????

This seems to be an issue that all players learn to deal with ,or they should.
i can only speak from my perspective .
early on you see this pattern and you adjust to prevent losses.
If you run into a losing streak you adjust your betting and reevaluate your aggressiveness and tactics.
if its a winning streak you ride it and be prepared for cards going cold on you, you wont always get it right but you can minimize big swings.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When we are playing a poker session, winning or losing money should be indifferent, that is, it should not be a factor that determines whether we should abandon or continue in a certain game. It is a very common mistake that can easily be avoided.

In general, we must learn to have the discipline to recognize at what moment we must end a session, to do this, we must ask ourselves these questions:

¿Am I playing my best game (A-game)? ¿Am I in tilt? ¿I'm distracted? ¿Are rivals better than me?

Responding with honesty we can make a proactive decision that is not influenced by having a good hand or because a bad beat has affected us. In this way we will be disciplined players who make intelligent decisions.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Look a target if you bend or you triple your bankroll and you feel comfortable get up from the table

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You should quit when you are not playing your best and/or not running good but lets be honest, who really does???

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Appreciate if you guys can help in any way.

Just started to play seriously as I got some time off work. I’m somewhat confident in my game and actually up $6k in my career playing various stakes recreationally. However, I have a hard time quitting a session when I’m up.

For example, I bought in for 300 at the 1/3 game today, and was up 700 after 2hours or so. I couldn’t quit after just playing 2hours as pro players say “put in the hours”. After playing for total of 8 hours, my stack was down to 200.
Thinking I should have quit at that point but couldn’t quit as I was running good.

At what point, do I have to quit my session?
Played a zoom cash session for 2 or 3 hours patiently waiting for these 2 hands avoided the 2 outers thankfully you need to be fresh and on your A game for cash.
Won roughly a $100 and a $5 for completing Cardex challenge feeling tired now as 4am so quitting for today.:)
8 hours my patience would not be the same and I could leak lot of dollars chasing with inferior hands to be honest.:eek:

June week 2

Week 1 task 1

Week 2 task 1

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Appreciate if you guys can help in any way.

Just started to play seriously as I got some time off work. I’m somewhat confident in my game and actually up $6k in my career playing various stakes recreationally. However, I have a hard time quitting a session when I’m up.

For example, I bought in for 300 at the 1/3 game today, and was up 700 after 2hours or so. I couldn’t quit after just playing 2hours as pro players say “put in the hours”. After playing for total of 8 hours, my stack was down to 200.
Thinking I should have quit at that point but couldn’t quit as I was running good.

At what point, do I have to quit my session?

You should quit cash games when there is nothing left to gain.

Either you are compromised - tired thirsty hungry distracted phone calls etc etc

Or - there is nothing left at the table for you to win in an easy manner - fish have left the table (why sit there and play against a couple of pros and the rest of the regs?) - you have most of the chips on the table already - the room has closed and you're asked to leave because it's 4 am!

The pros talk about putting in the hours because they are working. You are a recreational player and don't "need" to put in any hours beyond what entertains you. And for the record being up $6k is very very entertaining.

I mean just calculate your hourly if you left at $700 vs. $200!!

As far as I can tell - one of the biggest reasons that we stay at cash games when we are up is that "things are working". Why do I want to leave when I am winning and "things are working"?

You need to figure out why you play cash games. The feeling of winning? The thrill of the game? The money? Social interaction? A great place to watch football? Any and all these reasons are ok - but identifying "why" should help you set some goals that work for you.

Good luck !

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem wasn't that you didn't quit after 2 hours, it was that you didn't play for 48 hours. You were just about to go on a run and be up 20k that session.

E

ekt0rac

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a dificult issue for me too, i have a 3buyin restrict to lose for cash games live so its to stop when i lose those:D
but when im winning i kinda feel i always want to go for the big wins like 5-10 buyin wins,
so even if im 2-3 buyin is profit i cant stop especialy if it happened realy fast in like 2-3hours.
so ive made a rule for me to stop after a 3buy in session profit and call it a day.