QJs vs 88

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,
Now this hand just bugging me alot, I was on btn with QJs player 1 mid position with 88. 6handed
He raised 2.5x and I called from btn.
Flop J82 rainbow
He bet 75% pot, I called and turn and river dead cards. All 3 streets he bet 75% of the pot.
Now what I supposed to do here? Or for future what to do in case this comes again? Turn and river cards also low cards.
.50$ 1$ game online.

Thanks for advice :)

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Top pair with a medium kicker.

In VERY general terms it is a one street, maybe two street hand post-flop depending on the opponent and board texture.

But to call all three streets post-flop on a dry board. That is to over-value your hand and hoping that a player either bluffs or are crazy aggressive with some worse hand than yours.

Almost NEVER happens on a board this dry.

He bets big on three streets post on a dry board. At WORST he has an overpair most of the time (and often a set).

Call one time of course but after that it is player dependent. But almost never call down three times with a hand this weak if you don't play against a total maniac, or you suspect some player tries to run you over.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
75% pot bet is a pretty serious bet, especially all three streets. You have to consider folding QJ here, it could be absolutely crushed and was. He could have had many big hands here, AA KK a Set or a better Q. You just have to believe a persons strong bets once and a while. How was he playing previous to this spot?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the 3/4 pot bet usually reps something serious. Whether it be AQ, an over pair to the board, a set, or 2 pair. QJ is a nice hand but it should be something you can fold easily especially if you're not comfortable.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the others. I would pay a street to see if a Q appears and gives me double pair, or to see what the opponent does next. But if he bets three times and you pay him most of the time he will show you a winning hand. The exception would be that you know your opponent very well and would be sure that he is bluffing or that he has a worse hand than yours. But in that scenario you have many hands that dominated you and it would be better to fold and wait for a more favorable spot

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
75% pot bet is a pretty serious bet, especially all three streets. You have to consider folding QJ here, it could be absolutely crushed and was. He could have had many big hands here, AA KK a Set or a better Q. You just have to believe a persons strong bets once and a while. How was he playing previous to this spot?
That was my first hand on table

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh wow that's a hard spot than with no previous information on your opponent, I might have laid the hand down because of the pressure he was applying but it is a hard fold with no information. You couldn't really do much here accept believe him because of the strong strong betting pattern, he played his set exactly how I would have. He got lucky no cards came out to scare you, I might have folded the turn though, because in my opinion when you call turn you almost always have to call river if it seems safe enough, He could have been playing AA, KK, or a better jack and in this case unfortunately a well hidden monster. Hard spot in all though, and I probably lay down turn with QJ thinking I am beat here most the time. You were a non-believer because it was your first hand and unfortunately you were wrong about said player, pretty unlucky first go, but sometimes big bets mean your crushed.

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with other posts - betting pattern indicated strength although I can understand that you didn't want to throw away a potential winner.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't overvalue top pair too much. Remember, you are also giving him information. When you call he starts putting you on a jack potentially because you are likely calling with something like that on a dry board. So then if he is thinking along those lines and keeps betting it shows a lot of strength.

Your hand just isn't that strong either, you are also beat by AJ,KJ, any two pair so calling down 3 streets is not going to be profitable.

Loky13

Loky13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Judging by the size of the raise,75% of the pot i would seriously think about folding even AJ,with QJ it would be an easy call,fold,even if you had him this time,most of the times you would lose the hand

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh wow that's a hard spot than with no previous information on your opponent, I might have laid the hand down because of the pressure he was applying but it is a hard fold with no information. You couldn't really do much here accept believe him because of the strong strong betting pattern, he played his set exactly how I would have. He got lucky no cards came out to scare you, I might have folded the turn though, because in my opinion when you call turn you almost always have to call river if it seems safe enough, He could have been playing AA, KK, or a better jack and in this case unfortunately a well hidden monster. Hard spot in all though, and I probably lay down turn with QJ thinking I am beat here most the time. You were a non-believer because it was your first hand and unfortunately you were wrong about said player, pretty unlucky first go, but sometimes big bets mean your crushed.
I agree I thought about folding thinking over pair or higher kicker but I was too glued to my hand and I replayed that hand 20 times and I see I was so wrong there and that was a bad day I guess because next hand I had JJ I raised 3x cutoff and btn shoved with A10o and flopped full house lol.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree I thought about folding thinking over pair or higher kicker but I was too glued to my hand and I replayed that hand 20 times and I see I was so wrong there and that was a bad day I guess because next hand I had JJ I raised 3x cutoff and btn shoved with A10o and flopped full house lol.

Yes it was a brutal start to a session for sure, I never like being in those sport first hand of anything. Lol, JJ is one of my least favorite hands and I think there is no real good way to play it. I have some threads about JJ, such a brutal hand, hardest pair to play in my opinion, and unluckiest for me. Good luck in your future games. Cheers:beerglass:beerglass