Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do you notice stack size effect players' reads on you? Does an opponent's stack size ever effect your read on another player, either subconsciously in hindsight, or consciously?

I've noticed that when I have 2 or more buy-ins worth of chips opponents tend to give me more credit for having a hand when I bet. After sitting down at a table with players I don't know, if there's a big stack and a bunch of small stacks, I've caught myself assuming the big stack is a solid player. For all I know, they doubled up by sucking out on AA with 74 off. Anyone else notice this?

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When you join a cash table with by far the biggest stack...all you're doing is sending an invitation.

If 5 players are sat with £30 and you have £150..they have little to lose in going after yours!

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When you join a cash table with by far the biggest stack...all you're doing is sending an invitation.

If 5 players are sat with £30 and you have £150..they have little to lose in going after yours!
I'd expect people to be trying to take my money no matter how much I or they have. That's sort of the point of poker, isn't it?

Oh, and they have 30 pounds each to lose, which suits me fine.

Last edited:
S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Do you notice stack size effect players' reads on you? Does an opponent's stack size ever effect your read on another player, either subconsciously in hindsight, or consciously?

I've noticed that when I have 2 or more buy-ins worth of chips opponents tend to give me more credit for having a hand when I bet. After sitting down at a table with players I don't know, if there's a big stack and a bunch of small stacks, I've caught myself assuming the big stack is a solid player. For all I know, they doubled up by sucking out on AA with 74 off. Anyone else notice this?

I think you are right to some extent. When I build up a stack I feel my raises get more respect and are folded more and definitely if I see a mega stack I think the player cant be too bad - which is daft as have seen fish get lucky many times! I certainly take note of 400bb+ stacks though which at least indicates some ability usually.

In the end though it shouldn't really matter as you play the effective stack.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well I'm not sure that it shouldn't matter at all. It's your table image, right?
I mean it shouldn't be a big factor as it doesnt necessarily mean they play well or a particular style and there isn't any more money on the line (assuming you only have a standard 100bb or so). In the absence of other reads on villain it is at least a read, but I wouldn't vary my play too much based solely on this.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think this is what Sklansky calls the "Hammer Effect" in his book "NL Hold'em. Theory and Practice"...

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are really several things going on with regards to stack size. If you min raise a 3blind stack he will probable think you are committed if he jams, not sure if this is really a read. Sometimes there is "stack tension" say there are 4 players left, it pays 3 and there is 1 large stack, 1 small stack, and 2 medium stacks - the medium stacks have tension, because they know what one of them could easily bubble so they only want to attack each other or the big stack with value. Thinking players should get some incite into how you will play according to the current ICM given the stack sizes.

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think there are really several things going on with regards to stack size. If you min raise a 3blind stack he will probable think you are committed if he jams, not sure if this is really a read. Sometimes there is "stack tension" say there are 4 players left, it pays 3 and there is 1 large stack, 1 small stack, and 2 medium stacks - the medium stacks have tension, because they know what one of them could easily bubble so they only want to attack each other or the big stack with value. Thinking players should get some incite into how you will play according to the current ICM given the stack sizes.
I was talking about cash games. Definitely in tourneys stack sizes is a relevant consideration when taking any action.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
This is a dangerous bias, you have to play according to the information that you have on villain, not make assumptions (he has a big stack he must be solid and vice versa). If he is a LAG, why folding when you have to call ? in cash games the stack size of villain doesn't affect the outcomes. You win or loose what you have.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
In fact, your stack size will have a significant effect on how you play. For example, if you have a short stack, then it will be difficult or even impossible for you to turn big bluffs, simply because you will not have enough chips to scare your opponents and make them jump out of your hand. Conversely, if you have a big stack in front of you , then you have the opportunity for a more advanced game, more room to maneuver. With a big stack, you can manipulate your opponents into thinking your hand is better than theirs. Thus, ABC poker is best played with a short stack, which means betting strong hands and folding weak hands.If you are a short stack, then you should try to get into the early streets with strong hands that have the highest chance of winning.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
the psychology of steak is that the more steak you have, the better you play and you can play with whoever you want and who has a bigger steak, which means he played the right time and you shouldn't be too afraid of him

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good poker question. I actually believe that the previous plays define a player's style for me, more than the size of his stack. The classic example is: the typical fish player who has a huge stack mainly due to luck, since he plays super aggressive preflop (push / fold).
In hindsight we also find the opposite case to the previous one: That player who has played decently in previous hands and by destiny of poker, has ended up with a rather reduced stack of his original size. Here the perception of the opponent's playing style is clearly defined by the number of previous hands that could be observed in a given session.
If there is no prior information, there is a greater chance that I am facing a weak player. (this idea is less likely in tournament mode, but I am a cash game player).
Greetings.