Professional Poker Player in Southern California Crushing It?

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should look up proper bankroll management. It's not about "I have x buy-ins to lose." It's to reduce the risk of ruin due to variance. You also do not seem to understand what variance is. Variance is not AA vs KK, set over set, etc. You cannot avoid variance. No poker player can. Even the best players in the world who are consistent winners can have 10-20BI downswings (this is due to variance), and your bankroll needs to be able to withstand that.

And you should not be thinking how much you are going to make in a day for poker. It's about playing your A-game and making the right decisions. Even when you do, you can be breakeven or even be on a downswing. Let's say you had 4 big hands in one night in which you were all-in, and you made good decisions in the small to medium sized pots. You were ahead each time in the all-ins, yet you lose 3 or all of them (trust me, this is not uncommon). There goes 30-40% of your bankroll.

You seem to be passionate about poker, and you're making a huge change in your life by just jumping to professional poker. You might feel like you're unstoppable right now, but when variance hits you, more than just your poker life/bankroll is going to be affected.

lol you know your thread is exactly the opposite to this guy.

This guy wins a lil and owns the world.

You win big things and want to give it all up!

The irony.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, so about my Poker "Expenses" and how i did today on the tables (Bad day)

I currently rent a small studio and pay rent, car insurance, child support, your average 33 year old expenses. All in all, there about 1500 a month.

i currently have 5,500$ in my account (bank)

There is no way on gods green earth unless I am quite possibly the worst poker player on the planet, that I am going to lose 10-20 Buy-ins in a row. That is just the stupidest thing i have ever heard. If you do go on a losing streak like that you need to give up Poker I would strongly suggest. The most I can see happening is maybe two or three and even that is rare.

Today, unfortunately I did lose my buy-in. My aces got cracked by sevens All-In after the flop. (guy had quads on the flop, won a nice jackpot for it too)

Guy's I am not your average donkey who loses a buy in and then just goes on tilt and loses his entire roll lol. These are those young kids who just do not know how to control poker emotions and have proper BRM. I know all about BRM no need for the lesson. I am truly just that confident, in my skills and my abilities.

Today I made the biggest mistake. The mistake i keep making

PLAYING FOR TOO LONG! I became fatigued, bored and ended up just moving all my chips in off the flop in hopes the villain would fold. It was a stupid move and it was a sure sign that i was already too tired to be playing. I just did not want to go home -58.00$ today. Well this god damn donkey who was already down over 1,000$ of dads money calls with 1 card to go, hoping on a flush draw. LOL KID GETS A FLUSH!!!!!!!.......AWWWWWW!!!!!! Stacks me for 300.00$

SO, today was a loss of -358.00$. I knew it was time to go home once i was fatigued. I just didn't want to go home in the negative. First time in 9 days.....

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im not one to advocate stringent BRM but surely you realise that even the best player in the world is going to drop 20BI at some point (yes in a row).

It is not about whether or not you are good, variance is just a thing. Great players go on way bigger downswings than just 20BI.

We just mention it to protect you from the inevitable. Just continue to grow the roll.

Ineed1moredeuce

Ineed1moredeuce

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't sound like Brm is something you take seriously. I don't think you have hit a big enough down streak to understand what we are talking about then. You might think its impossible to lose 20BI in a row, but by the sounds of it, I don't believe you have played a serious amount of poker and long enough sessions in a consecutive time frame. You get fatigued only playing for 3-4 hours, but most professional poker players put in 8-15 hour sessions depending on how the action is. Shit, some players like phil ivey are known for playing several days in a row without sleep.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Im not one to advocate stringent BRM but surely you realise that even the best player in the world is going to drop 20BI at some point (yes in a row).

It is not about whether or not you are good, variance is just a thing. Great players go on way bigger downswings than just 20BI.

We just mention it to protect you from the inevitable. Just continue to grow the roll.

This ^^^^^^

I'm curious if he is counting the IRS's share in his BR, with his BR just going up and up, if he keeps on winning then almost half that roll belongs to uncle Sam, if I understand the US tax on winnings he would need losses to minimise his tax burden.

:dontknow:

Subbing for the lols.

Last edited:
M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, so about my Poker "Expenses" and how i did today on the tables (Bad day)

There is no way on gods green earth unless I am quite possibly the worst poker player on the planet, that I am going to lose 10-20 Buy-ins in a row. That is just the stupidest thing i have ever heard. If you do go on a losing streak like that you need to give up Poker I would strongly suggest. The most I can see happening is maybe two or three and even that is rare.

Today, unfortunately I did lose my buy-in. My aces got cracked by sevens All-In after the flop. (guy had quads on the flop, won a nice jackpot for it too)

Guy's I am not your average donkey who loses a buy in and then just goes on tilt and loses his entire roll lol. These are those young kids who just do not know how to control poker emotions and have proper BRM. I know all about BRM no need for the lesson. I am truly just that confident, in my skills and my abilities.

So you're suggesting Phil Ivey, Tom Dwan, and the best players in the world need to quit poker and should have quit a long time ago. And all the professional poker players and strong regs who have logged millions of hands. Yes, millions. Because ALL of them have been on at least 15-20BI+ downswings, even 30+. This is due to variance, something you will not understand until it finally hits you. Trust me, I thought the EXACT same when I first started out. I was a 8-10bb/100 winner at 25NL, which is a solid winrate. Out of 30 nights had only two 4BI downswings, majority of the others winning, and some other breakeven/1-2BI downswings. Then I went on a 14BI downswing. Wow, the most you can see is a 2BI/3BI downswing, and that 2BI/3BI downswings are rare? It only takes a simple knowledge of probability to see that this is not even remotely true.

Fwiw getting AA all-in OTF for 100bb is generally a losing strategy. You're going to see sets, two pair so often, especially since live players are so passive. One pair hands for 100bb+ are bluff-catchers, and yes that means AA. You might see combo draws, but only very good regulars and higher stakes player do that.

No, you are not aware of BRM. Who told you that you can have 10BI for poker, especially as a professional who plays for a living and has no other source of income? You're saying losing a bankroll only happens to young kids who tilt and don't have proper BRM. Well, for one, tilt affects you pretty adversely too, and you don't have good control over your poker emotions either. You mentioned in that last hand you played in which you did not want to be stuck 1/6BI and then tilted off your stack. 1/6BI is nothing. And second, you do not have proper BRM.

Not trying to be rude, but you should probably be a little more humble. You're not anywhere as good as you think you are; you're on a sick heater at 1/3 live. 1/3 live is the equivalent of 5NL online. And your bankroll is at risk.

Last edited:
M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol you know your thread is exactly the opposite to this guy.

This guy wins a lil and owns the world.

You win big things and want to give it all up!

The irony.

I'm back to grinding 100NL :). I just got burned out and needed a break. Past 13k hands been winning at like 1.3bb/100 though.... Running way below EV but glad that at least I'm not on a downswing. Suck-out after suck-out in really big pots, and just been running into the top of people's ranges lately for the past 9k hands. Lost two 300bb pots back-to-back in like 10 minutes as 70% favorite, losing KK vs QQ and KK vs AQ AI preflop, etc. Hopefully better luck later on this week; a little busy with school atm.

Last edited:
Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok im calling it now, hes trolling. He wins gg wp

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nah it's Aaron Soto

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think it's any former member (IP is clean and from CA) but not convinced he's for real either. Also, if real, not sure what OP plans to do when he just breaks even for a month or 2, never mind losing months.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Im not one to advocate stringent BRM but surely you realize that even the best player in the world is going to drop 20BI at some point (yes in a row).

I

This is what I tell myself every time I drop 20BI's. Actually the way I look at it when I drop 20BI's I'm on my way to becoming the best player in the world. :p

But after dropping 20Bi's 20x in a row I'm starting to worry...

:p

F

FoBreeze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is everyone hating on this guy… Some of the best players in the world are playing much higher stakes against great players, so of course they are more likely to lose 20 BI in a row. If you are a really good player playing 1/3 it's a lot less likely to happen.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't think it's any former member (IP is clean and from CA) but not convinced he's for real either. Also, if real, not sure what OP plans to do when he just breaks even for a month or 2, never mind losing months.

I think it might actually be real. Now I feel bad. I thought for sure this was a spoof. I haven't read one of these like this in awhile, and when I have the kids were 18/19 y/o or thereabouts. Now it's like watching a trainwreck, you feel bad for looking.

And no one is hating... they are just trying to kindly letting him know what he's saying isn't very smart or realistic. It's not hate imho.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I currently rent a small studio and pay rent, car insurance, child support, your average 33 year old expenses. All in all, there about 1500 a month.

i currently have 5,500$ in my account (bank)

Subbed.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it might actually be real. Now I feel bad. I thought for sure this was a spoof. I haven't read one of these like this in awhile, and when I have the kids were 18/19 y/o or thereabouts. Now it's like watching a trainwreck, you feel bad for looking.

And no one is hating... they are just trying to kindly letting him know what he's saying isn't very smart or realistic. It's not hate imho.

Maybe you should coach him. What would you charge for an hour?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe you should coach him. What would you charge for an hour?

Aaron has all the skillzz he needs dawg. He doesn't need no punk azz coach.

No seriously though, these threads never end well. It's hard when you don't have perspective on something.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aaron has all the skillzz he needs dawg. He doesn't need no punk azz coach.

No seriously though, these threads never end well. It's hard when you don't have perspective on something.

Yea agreed. Its hard cause like mentioned above, people don't understand the variance till it hits them.

Same reason some people who bink their big 100k scores don't actually save the money, its easy to think its going to continue rolling in when life is way more cruel.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Those don't exist for elite players like OP

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel bad but at the same time I don't. It's difficult for a player to understand variance until he actually endures those seemingly impossible/never ending downswings. He'll either quit or he'll be a significantly better player for it.

OP, your confidence is good. You just need to remember where you are. There are folks here who have more experience than you can imagine and can offer you great advice. Obv there is sarcasm, but beneath it all there is some really good stuff.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea agreed. Its hard cause like mentioned above, people don't understand the variance till it hits them.

Same reason some people who bink their big 100k scores don't actually save the money, its easy to think its going to continue rolling in when life is way more cruel.

True that.

Not even enough perspective to understand that these are the most profitable poker months of the year. And as the weather warms, the rec players go out and play more, and the tables tighten up.

I ran for over 55bb/100 last month (only 4.5k sample). Imagine if that was my first month playing poker what I God I'd think I was. Eazy game. lol

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
True that.

Not even enough perspective to understand that these are the most profitable poker months of the year. And as the weather warms, the rec players go out and play more, and the tables tighten up.

I ran for over 55bb/100 last month (only 4.5k sample). Imagine if that was my first month playing poker what I God I'd think I was. Eazy game. lol

Weirdly enough our games dried up for the start of the year but I know what you mean.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh man this thread is great. I wish you all the luck OP, but seems you already have it.

How do you know your not just on the positive side of variance now? Couldn't you just be on a heater? Doesn't seem like you have been playing professionally long enough to even know if your a winning player yet. I hope I'm wrong, and hope you keep winning, and I hope this isn't a troll thread. Soon enough we'll see you on TV with Phil Ivey and all the other greats.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is everyone hating on this guy… Some of the best players in the world are playing much higher stakes against great players, so of course they are more likely to lose 20 BI in a row. If you are a really good player playing 1/3 it's a lot less likely to happen.

hai Aaron Soto