A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dare say

A few years into playing Holdem

I have noticed when a pair shows in the flop- and I'm first to act- and I do NOT have a set? OR others have checked- ESPECIALLY if others have checked before me ?

If I QUICKLY shove ? seems 9 out of 10 times I win there.

And I too would be folding if I wasn't first to call it

Anyone else do this?

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t know about auto shoving, but I’ve been doing pretty well leading when IP and check-raising when OOP.

H

hearts_spades

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They don't have to call off that often to make this play not profitable. It depends on the opponent. If they fold too much in that spot then it could be good.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Firstly thats trips not a set.

Secondly thats the dumbest move I have ever heard of, you are only ever going to get called by a better hand.

Good luck with your poker busto goals of 2018.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a generality I have found that a min bet will normally do the job.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure a Jam is always appropriate. I will say betting most paired boards regaurdless of possition is profitable.... now we should be betting big, around 2/3 pot.... but keep in mind if we are called and dont improve we need to rethink our stratagy on the turn....

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a generality I have found that a min bet will normally do the job.
On unconnected/dry boards I believe this to be correct, but when its connected, or 2 suited we need to bet bigger to avoid giving odds to Villian to make the call with a draw.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are thinking of Trips.. a set is when you make 3 of a kind while holding a pocket pair. Trips is when a pair is on the board and you make 3 of a kind.

http://www.thepokerbank.com/articles/questions/sets-and-trips/

This is not a good strategy in my eyes. Why must you shove? Why not just place a large bet and see how they react? If you get called, it will most always be by better hands and since you are all-in... now your busted.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the specific situation (blind size, stack sizes, pre-flop action) but in general I don't like this play. When trying to bluff you should think about the hand you're representing. If you actually had trips wouldn't you bet a smaller amount, trying to get one caller? The all-in smells like desperation from a lower pair, 2 high cards or similar so would be called too often by only hands that beat you. I'm not sure all the small wins will make up for the large losses. If I were to make this play it would be later in a tourney when there is more incentive to make moves like this. Early on it's too risky to be worth it.