Population Analysis

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, does anyone have any experience doing analysis of population tendencies using tracking software? Not sure where to start. I've got Drivehud.

First I want to figure out fold and bluff frequencies on different streets and go from there. How big of a sample is big enough?

Then I would like to figure out bet sizing tendencies as well as what the most common lines taken by the most people are (the mode).

Is this doable?

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never done anywork in DriveHud, so I don't know what's possible or not possible there.

The best option to use is Hand2Note as it is the easiest and most eloquent. The feature is called Range Research. I think you can find plenty about it using Google and Youtube.

There's another way of doing it that I know of, with Holdem Manager 2 and Note Caddy. You will need a lot more time to do detailed research here, as you will need to code many more stats.

As for the sample, the bigger sample it is, the better (more accurate) it is. I suggest a sample of at least 2 million hands.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, I'm nowhere near 2 million lol. I suppose I'm better off looking for other people's analyses.

Can I export histories into hand 2 note format?

Also, I assume I don't need such a huge sample for stuff like river bluff, cbet, and 3bet frequencies since they converge quickly right?

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When coaches do population analysis for their studies, they use datamined hands. Big samples give accurate results and that's how you get the biggest samples.

Yes, you can export your hands to hand2note. You have to remember that for running a population analysis you will need the edge subscription for h2n and a decent hud (so these are costs you might've not thought about).

As for your last question, it depends on how frequent is a situation. Cbets occue in every raised pot, so that you can gather pretty quickly. 3bet needs something like 500+ hands (better if more), where as a river bluff needs a whole lot more, it's simply a rare situation. Also you have to remember that the results you get can be slightly skewed, because you only know the stuff that actually came to showdown, otherwise it's impossible to see their holecards of course.

Hope this helps!

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When coaches do population analysis for their studies, they use datamined hands. Big samples give accurate results and that's how you get the biggest samples.

Yes, you can export your hands to hand2note. You have to remember that for running a population analysis you will need the edge subscription for h2n and a decent hud (so these are costs you might've not thought about).

As for your last question, it depends on how frequent is a situation. Cbets occue in every raised pot, so that you can gather pretty quickly. 3bet needs something like 500+ hands (better if more), where as a river bluff needs a whole lot more, it's simply a rare situation. Also you have to remember that the results you get can be slightly skewed, because you only know the stuff that actually came to showdown, otherwise it's impossible to see their holecards of course.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for explaining [emoji4] this does help very much . Gonna go digging for other people's data then :)