pansipos

pansipos

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
When you play poker, do you play according to a system, or do you pay more attention to the players participating in the tournament?

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you play poker, do you play according to a system, or do you pay more attention to the players participating in the tournament?
I play the people and the cards, not sure I would know how to play a system. No two games are the same, so any system would have to be dynamic to adjust to the situation, so it is no longer a system. Just guessing.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it all depends on my mood sometimes I play according to the system and also watch the reaction of the players who are at the table if I see a passive player, I immediately start playing against him aggressively

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What you call system I call theory. The way the theory is applied is called methodology and this is present in any area of liberal sciences.
As others have said before, I play following the system and the psychological behavior of my opponents, i.e, I play the cards dealt and the sitting opponents.
And for that most of times we don’t need a HUD software, which in many cases can drastically affect our decisions to simple data analysis: read statistics such as VPIP, PFR, Fold to 3-bet, etc don’t turn us into winning players, for many times these softwares are incomplete information that bias our choices.
The most important is to have a dynamic range of hands that will change depending upon the players sitting by our side at the table.
Most of professionals will say that we can open 15% hands from EP and barely 50% hands from IP (Hijack, Cut-Off and Button), however it is not so simple as the charts imply.
If we really open 15% of hands from UTG regardless or our opponents, we are going to suffer a bunch of 3-bets for value and for bluff and we are going to fold a lot. We are going to get tons of calls of passive players and calling-stations, changing our odds, once we open hands from whatever seat to have position, thus our intention is to get more calls from the blinds than from players in position.
That being said, sometimes we are to play only 5% or 7% from EP, for either the table is too much active or too passive. Many times we are not even to open raise baby pocket pairs (22-66) under the risk of putting blinds on the pot for nothing, once we will have to fold to a polarized 3-bet or for a calling station that have a very frequent C-bet flop:
Henceforward we are playing throughout the system and also playing our opponents.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think both work together but if you aren't paying attention to the players you might as well sit out (y)

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
For me you can apply a system to the cash games rather than mtts. In cash games you'll play the same opponents more often and for thousand hands, so a system will be needed, the opening range and sizes wont change that much especially if you do multi-tabling.
However the mtts have their dynamics, the blind level, tournament structure, players at the table, the bubble stage... and you have to adapt to each of that particular parameter to be a successful tournament player.

Rubycon

Rubycon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
I think that there is no such thing as a system, but a default game from which you occasionally have to deviate in order not to be easily labeled. To me, playing PLO, profiling the foes is paramount.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no matter what the system is and in the end everything will be decided by the river);)

F

freerobert

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The more i play system, the more i lose. the more i play cards on players an situations, the more i win.
SOmetimes i just having a good feeling for 93o or something and if i play this worst hand with the good feeling i hit 999 or something. can not explain but it works better as some "systems"...maybe call it instinct :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Playing with the other players, as realistic as can be, and calculating that there is a software between us.

bermejoga

bermejoga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I play by the people and by the hands I get. Sometimes systems can't work...

iman_wd

iman_wd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EE
Chips
I find playing with other players and using cards , and I only need a small amount of assistance from a HUD .

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A mix of system (I.e. theory) and exploiting base don what I know about my opponent or the wider pool.

I think it always need to be a mix of the two to have any chance of winning at a decent rate

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I play to the cards and players, it is after all, a game of luck and strategies. People who play too much to the system and percentages, hold up the game, constantly working out what to do and end up p##*#** others off ,using up the time. Check, bet, raise or fold. That's the only options......

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set up a base strategy and deviate as necessary...

eg, have a high frequency c-bet for a small sizing on X Y and Z boards... If villain is a whale size up with good hands and take him to the cleaners

zer0ne

zer0ne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Of course with attention and make a pretty good strategy to help you reach the goal .

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play as per the system. However, I do make exploitative adjustments against fish.

R

RoseBread777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I often find that rushing and not being patient often is what ultimately leads to my downfall, it's an easy thing to recognize but a difficult thing to put into practice. I've lost with the best starting hands and won with the worst, I'm sure we all have. Majority of the time it's not just about the cards I'm holding but also use of the proper timing to play them that produce success.