Poker Gut

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Poker Gut isnt new, but its something that really hasnt been understood completely. If you are a decent-good player who understands the concepts of pot/hand odds and you try and apply this knowledge to your game, then the concept of the Poker Gut might be a bit confusing for you.

Poker Gut is calling bets and raises with a weak/garbage hands with knowledge that you will have the best hand at the end. Most Poker Gut players follow their gut/luck instinct. The G/L instinct is that little voice you hear in your head that says "You might hit 2 pair." Another is the process of high card elimination. This theory states that players who have called big bets/raises must have a big hand. The more players there are in the pot, the better chance that they are holding each others outs. So, now your weak/garbage hand has a better chance of hitting. Now, most players who go by their Poker Gut will often justify their play with a very common phrase "It was sooted." Suited cards work a lot in the Poker Gut players' favor because it make their garbage hand look a lot better.

Here is an example of using Poker Gut. Its a(n) MTT and you're in middle position with 5Qs. UTG raises, UTG+1 reraises, and the person before you pushes all in. So, you should fold right? Not exactly. First, we'll look at the Process of High Card Elimination.

UTG raises-In order for this player to raise in this position, they have to have a strong hand. Its unlikely they'll have KK or AA because they risk a chance of everyone folding and not getting paid. So they're probably more likely to limp in with AA or KK in hopes of re-raising. Their range of hands is probably between 88-JJ.

UTG+1 reraises-In order for this person to re-raise the UTG player, they have to have a much stronger hand. Or they are at least representing a strong hand. Their hand range is usually AK, AQ, AJ.

Mid all in-Seeing the action before, this all in push can only mean one thing: AA or KK.

So, its good to assume that the UTG+1 is holding one of the MP's out; either the A or K. If you were to call the all in here, its very likely you will drive the UTG and UTG+1 players out of the hand. Even if your opponent is holding AA or KK, you still have a lot of outs to improve. 3 5s, 3 Qs, and 12 remaining suited cards for a total of 18 outs. Even if your opponent is holding AA or KK, you can safely assume that their chance of improving their hand is slim because A) their outs have been mucked and B) unless they're holding one of your suits, if their card comes on the flop, there is a 50/50 chance of it being your suit, giving you an even better chance to hit the flush.

So, a call here is the best option.

On the flop, you should be ready to call all in bets if your flush draw hits because you still have enough outs to justify a call. 9 remain suited cards and 6 of the remaining cards in your hand. You might not hit your flush, but there is a chance you hitting runner-runner 2 pair.

If you've ever been a victim of these types of players, dont be so quick to call them 'DONKs' or tell them how they are such bad players. There is a good chance that these players are applying the POKER GUT theorem to there overall poker strategy.

Here is a good example of Poker Gut being used.
[old link~tb]

Last edited by a moderator:
V

vivaitalia1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
utter bullshit.. no such thing as 'poker gut'.. u might as well believe in horoscopes.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the one thing funnier than good joke posts is people taking them seriously :D

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao fine, im a bs donk, but im winning so right now ill take it as it goes :)

C

chatoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope there will be a lot of players that believes in that BS, they can keep paying with nothing with their AK to make two pairs and then i can rake a nice pot with my trips.

Best regards

J

janark

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
LMAO!! Please spread this post widely! I so wish there will be a lot of players who will read it and start playing like this!

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Philthy, you almost had me till I read this-

still have a lot of outs to improve. 3 5s, 3 Qs, and 12 remaining suited cards for a total of 18 outs.

That was a great post and I can't wait for the usual posters who read two lines then post a response... "Dude, I think I use my poker gut ALL THE TIME."