poker book club.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i want to start a book club on "winning tournaments one hand at a time vol.1" anyone interested let me know. or just go pick up the book. i'm going to start it up in the 3rd week of april. 4/19/20. if you know the book i was thinking of trying to do simular hands from each player. one each from the start of the tourney the middle etc. i think this will point out how differenet each players style is. i think this will be more interesting that way as well. for those of you who do not have the book still will be able to follow as i'll post the hands and you will be able to have input as well. i will announce the 3 hands i would like to start with on the 19th of april. but if you got the book and have an idea which 3 to do you can send me a message.

Attachments

• 27846492.jpg
    27846492.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 27
slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interested, already have the book - thanks for starting this!

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok looking though the book i got new way to do this. what i've figured i will do a hand from each player. this may change next week if it doesnt work out. but i will start w/hand #1"pearljammer",#51"rizen",+ #101"apestyles" i hope this work for all. i will post more on wednesday and we can discuss then. so read up. see you then.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hand #1

ok here's hand#1 it took alot longer than i thought it would i hope to have the others posted soon.

set up: $50 buyin $50k guan. blinds are 10/20 seat 6 is a solid player no reads on anyone else.

full tilt poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 10/20 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
pearljammer (SB): 1,970
s1 (BB): 2,530
s2 (UTG): 2,000
s3 (UTG+1): 2,000
s4 (UTG+2): 2,380
s5 (MP1): 780
s6 (MP2): 2,440
s7 (CO): 1,980
s8 (BTN): 1,920
Pre-Flop: (30) T
clubnormal.gif
T
heartnormal.gif
dealt to pearljammer (SB)
s3 calls 20
s4 raises to 40
s5 folds
s6 calls 40
s7 folds
s8 folds
pearljammer calls 40
s1 folds
s2 folds
s3 calls 40
Flop: (190) 8
heartnormal.gif
spadenormal.gif
clubnormal.gif
(4 Players)
s3 checks
s4 bets 190
s6 calls 190
pearljammer folds
s3 folds
Turn: (570) 8
heartnormal.gif
spadenormal.gif
clubnormal.gif
[ 6
diamondnormal.gif
] (2 Players)
s4 bets 570
s6 calls 570
River: (1,710) 8
heartnormal.gif
spadenormal.gif
clubnormal.gif
diamondnormal.gif
[ K
clubnormal.gif
] (2 Players)
s4 checks
s6 bets 700
s4 raises to 1,580 and is All-In
s6 calls 880
Results: 4,870 Pot (4,870 Rake)
s4 showed A
heartnormal.gif
J
clubnormal.gif
(a pair of sixes) and LOST

s6 showed 3
diamondnormal.gif
heartnormal.gif
(a full house, threes full of sixes) and WON

questions:
1.) our hero has pocket tens preflop which figure to bet the best hand do you agree with just calling why or why not?
2.) seat4 makes a very odd min. bet preflop what could this tell you?
3.) post flop seat3 bets the pot and seat4 flat calls you are getting great odds to call and you flopped an over pair why do think the hero folds here? do you agree with the fold? what would you do here?
you dont got to answer these questions feel free to post your own or just make a comment.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cardplayer, my apologies, I'm traveling on business and don't have my copy of the book with me... :eek: so I'm going to respond directly to what you've posted here, rather than what pearljammer actually wrote...

Suggestion - may be better to do this like HA, and not post the whole hand, since the results tend to color the discussion.

In general, I was surprised by pearljammer's approach to early tourney play - it's pretty tight/weak in the early rounds.

1. My natural inclination would be to 3bet TT from SB to about 150 rather than flat call. If I remember right, he's explicitly setmining here, and the fact that seat 6 flat called played into that decision. If we hit the set, we stand to gain chips against seat 3 if not seat 6, and it's a cheap flop (relative to stack size) to see. No need to go crazy at the first level, when everyone will call light and hit on seemingly dry boards - and the potential reward doesn't outweigh the risks of playing aggressively on the first level.

On the other hand, I like TT a lot, so I still think I'd 3bet even at the first level.

2. Seat 3's minbet, in the first level, indicates either a fishy player or a monster. Another reason I'd rather 3bet from SB - I'm pretty sure I'm ahead of both seat 3 and seat 6 preflop, and the 3bet would clarify their hands (I'm folding to a 4bet, playing cautiously if seat 6 calls).

3. We have an overpair to the board on the flop, seat 6 didn't show any particular strength pf, and I'm still thinking seat 3 is a little fishy. If we'd 3bet pf, we're leading the flop - since we called pf, checking makes sense.

Now, with the read that seat 6 is a solid player, the fact that he calls seat 3's potsized bet is a concern. That puts him on an overpair or a set, much less likely two pair or a draw (86s? maybe?). Calling a pot sized bet in a multiway pot with (probably) top pair, where the player IP is a good player, makes this a pretty easy fold since we're not really invested in this pot.

So part of pearljammer's specific style, I think, is to only aggressively attack early pots if you're clearly ahead - save the more aggressive play for later rounds (ante rounds). Definitely something for me to think about, since I tend to be aggressive with 88+,AK in early levels.

I hope others respond here, this is a great idea Cardplayer - obviously I'm interested in your thoughts here as well.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. when i first read this book i totally agreed with a flat call here. but today as i'm trying a more aggressive approach i would most likely raise here. there are a few reasons one i figure i got the best hand so putting more in can't hurt. two to make seat3 better define his hand. i like to have some sort of idea where i am post flop. and three i can represent a lot of flops even if i miss.
2. the min bet here justs seems to fishy here and most likely it is a good but not great hand. but its early so i'm just taking note of this odd play.
3. i agree i don't want to invest lots of chips here. and by calling the pot gets awfully big here and any good sze bet on the turn i'm facing a very tough decision. i fold here.

when i first read this book i would match my normal style with pearljammers. now reading it through once more i am trying rizens style. i figure all these styles are money makers and if i can pratice and learn eachl of them it will help me in the future. then i can make i choose as to which one fits the situation.

Last edited: