pocket under the 10

ariekralt

ariekralt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have a pocket 9 or something, never raise only call. If you flopped an 3 of kind you dont raise with much money let them think you're bluffing and they raise, if they raise you go all in and you won a big pot

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmmmmmmmm..............i dont think it works like that everytime
i would raise with them in most spots preflop being that there is not a rasie in front of me
just because u bet a small amount does not make ppl believe u are bluffing
they could think u are betting for value
i dont think there are much hands that will reraise u here
the kind of hands that will reraise are probably hands that could have u beat
and who says u will win if u just have a set someone could have turnded str8 or flush

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have a pocket 9 or something, never raise only call. If you flopped an 3 of kind you dont raise with much money let them think you're bluffing and they raise, if they raise you go all in and you won a big pot

This poker thing is easy isnt it :rolleyes:

allndave

allndave

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nope had to fold a set of 9s yesterday he hit his flush, then played 9s a whole bunch of times lost every hand finally i folded preflop only to have what would have been the winning set, lol ,after that i got good cards and won a sng . lessons from th UB

O

og-trip

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yea ive had that happen to me b4..but i called some pocket 9's, hit trips, he hits flush

redlad101

redlad101

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I havent been playing poker long but I open raise with any pocket pair in mid or late position because of the value in bluffing. You hit a set so few times that you need something to add value to the hands. Also, if you hit a set on a raggy flop and bet, it looks like a bluff or c bet and is more likely to be called and results in a bigger pot taken down.

T_inc

T_inc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
today on bodogs freerol my very first hand was pocket 9.made a small preflop bet of 100 2 guys call me. flop: 3-6-7 since it was the first hand of the tourny i go all inn (hopin someone has 7)1 guy cald me with J-3:confused:and of course on the river he made 2 pair with his jack:mad:although ive been kicked out the tourny the first hand:eek:im pretty sure i played it well(i think);)i always place a big bet with pockets so i can get an indication of where they stand and how strong.the size of my bet depends on my stack(offcourse)the number of players in the pot,the runningtime of the tourny and the buy-in. pockets below 5 i only play when there hasnt been a (big)raise

Last edited:
pokerjdud

pokerjdud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you did play it well, just the luck of the draw sometimes...but there are plenty of newbs on bodoggy ...thats why i play there, anyhow...stay away from full tilt if you dont like shit like that hahaha

L

lottomode777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer suited connectors over small pairs. Without a set, they're generally worthless.If you pair your connector, you have the possibility of drawing trips, two pair, open end or gutshot straight, and flush against overpair if you get a fitting flop.

V

vagas35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The trouble with only calling is that your letting too many players see the flop even if you hit trips someone somewhere may flop something stronger or many outs with naff cards.

K

Khaosk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But the problem with raising a small to medium pair with two or three other people in the pot is that someone is bound to hit a higher pair than you, at least in my experience anyway.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pairs require at least 10 to 1 implied odds to be played profitably. In reality, even more than that for the medium pairs, because they lose more often when played as top pair and because reverse implied odds are huge for an overpair like 99.

If you have 30BB or more, you can limp or call a small raise. For smaller stacks, playing should only be done in late position because a raise kills the odds. Generally, a stack between 10-20BB doesn't allow profitable play for small and medium PPs.

For stacks smaller than 10BB, you can move all-in as pairs have good showdown value.

Note that "stack" is the smaller of your stack and your likely opponents.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very intereseting cheetah, good post that one

killerrat

killerrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All about position here.......where and why. have to sel the story. besides it is only a pair till you hit and most times you are beat. why it is key as into where you are seated to the button. whos first to act etc.........

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All about position here.......where and why. have to sel the story. besides it is only a pair till you hit and most times you are beat. why it is key as into where you are seated to the button. whos first to act etc.........

Small and medium pairs are the least affected hands by position when stacks are big.