Pocket Jacks

RiverRick

RiverRick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise my pocket JJs on the button to 22$ The big blind calls with who knows what as he has been aggressive and sticky. The flop come Q x x. With a queen and a flush draw I think about jamming my stack then I check like a punk. He bets 22. I think he probably doesn't have a Q but maybe a flush draw. I think again about jamming but just call. Turn flush draw gets there but now I have the flush draw. River another low spade I make the flush and jam the River he has A 8 of spades for nut flush. Where did I go wrong? I played passive the whole night. No more Mr. Nice guy.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you check raise the flop it should give you a better idea where you are at.

Jamming on the river is a mistake. He have all the combo for AX, K10s.

Now what card can you be beating? All pairs, connectors.

But what cards would he be calling with? Would he go all in with 4 on the board with 54s?

Maybe a thin value bet might have been better, but he would jam and odds are you would have call it off still, unless you are super nitty.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of details missing from this hand history including the size of the blinds. Also something does not add up. You cannot check-call flop, when you are BTN, because then you are last to act postflop. I will not comment on the hand, because it is irresponsible to give advice based on so incomplete information.

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a spot where check-raising the flop could've given you good information about the range you are against. JJ is tricky and most of the time it's outflopped

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of details missing from this hand history including the size of the blinds. Also something does not add up. You cannot check-call flop, when you are BTN, because then you are last to act postflop. I will not comment on the hand, because it is irresponsible to give advice based on so incomplete information.
+1 to this. You cant / wont get good opinions without more and correct hand details.

Two things to consider though. Bet sizing and what hands are likely to call. After he has bet $22 on the turn why are we jamming on a 4 flush board. Can we really expect to be called by the T of spades? Unless you only had 50 bucks left and your jam was trivial you should think about what hands can call your bet before ripping it in. Maybe someone would call 20 bucks with a pair or two or a set but any decent player is folding the T of spades if we jam more than the pot on a 4 flush board on the river. We only get called when we are beat most times when we take this approach.