PLO or PLO8

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your favorite PLO or PLO8 and most profitable?

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my favorite games are PL08, not the cash games or tournaments, but sit and goes.
I play $1 double or nothing PL08, that's the game like best :)

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found I can make more money with the PLO8, if you tie the low and have the high. A lot of players will bet big with just low and a high card. You can rake it in when that happens. They will bet big hoping you will fold and have the nut low to make them brave. lol

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have only just started playing Omaha recently, within the past year .... I prefer just straight Omaha as I'm still learning the game it easier for me than the hi low game .. I love those just not yet comfortable with Omaha in that sense .... : ) but I'll get there ...

M

Meroveus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I prefer PLO8 -- both cash and tournaments.
at low stakes many sites have a culture where everyone limps into every pot and hopes to see what the flop brings.

You can work this to your advantage by raising premium hands pre, and usually you can get a multitude of callers. You still need to hit the board well of course, because in such an environment no-one folds.

A PLO8 hand needs to have a strong low component, since 60% of all boards have 3 cards <= 8, so usually a low hand exists. As a prev poster mentioned, getting 3/4 of the pot is a plus -- so is scooping it!

If you're pretty sure you're going to split the pot, don't pump up the pot, since then both lose to rake -- not a problem in tournaments of course

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and what is the main difference between these games? please describe. still if it is possible about NLO8? Why is there a separation of the bank?

M

Meroveus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and what is the main difference between these games? please describe. still if it is possible about NLO8? Why is there a separation of the bank?

:pPLO == Pot Limit Omaha
:DPLO8 == Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Split -- the same as PLO but the pot is split between the best high hand, and the best low hand. A low hand must contain 5 unpaired cards 8 or less. Straights or flushes do not matter -- the low hand only looks at card rank. Why do this? Because people like to play it :cool: :cool:
:mad:NLO == No Limit Omaha is like PLO but no betting limit.
:help:NLO8 == No Limit Omaha like PLO8 but no betting limit. This means that you can shove your entire stack pre-flop. People do this. This is a game for ninjas, but there is no ninja emoji here :confused:

M

moonshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO is going to be high variance. PLO8, being split pot for 2/3 of the hands, will help reduce variance. there are edges to be had in both, but opponent skill (or lack thereof) is the difference maker. any important note is that the 6-max versions are so commonly spread online, vs full table at live cardroom. blinds come at you faster, so you have to learn to open up more.

M

moonshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i suggest trying to find limit versions of each game first and cut your teeth there. then dabble in the pot limit versions where you now have to consider bet sizing. just because you have 4 cards, they have to be all connected, no danglers! and what "connected" means is obv different for each variant

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are different strategies. Both are profitable. In my case I perform quite well in PLO8 . I play Hi-Lo as if it were PLO and try to feed on the chips of those who play everything hoping to connect low. Playing everything to low is a fairly frequent mistake in players of PLO8.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play both, but lately I play more PLO 8, because gives me more thrill.

K

kapobar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like more PL08 but when play more seriously and bigger tournament i prefere PLO because is easy.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your favorite PLO or PLO8 and most profitable?

I much prefer PLO8, the extra layers of thinking make it enjoyable

In terms of making money though, you will find much more action and high stakes games at PLO. So if that's the priority I would go with regular omaha.

I play it for fun tho, so plo8 is what gets me feeling great :p

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker

plo8 by far lots of action and several ways to win the key is patience