Playing pocket Queens versus a raise and a dry board

T

trebor1993

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
NLHE full ring.
Recently playing cash 1-3 (max 300 buy in) with a big stack of $800.
I raised UTG with pocket queens to 13, and the player to my left re-raised to 65 (stack size 300), with the small blind calling for 65.
I called wanting to see a flop of undercards, which came 10 5 6 rainbow.
Small blind checked, I shoved for around 200 into a pot of 200.
The player to my left called and had pocket Aces.
Would anyone have played this differently? / how would you have played?
I did not want to shove pre flop as I knew probably the only hand I was beating was JJ.

Last edited:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Seems hard not to go broke for 100 BI on that flop.

BUT: against some very tight and nitty players that almost never 3-bets big against a raise (especially since your raise from UTG means a very strong hand often) I can sometimes set-mine with QQ since some villains absolute worst hand is AK here (sometimes just AA and KK).

If that seems weak it is of course only a tactic against passive nits that only 3-bets with the absolute top of their range against an UTG open.

In the case you don't get 1 to 10 odds to call for a set I can even fold against some players. But you must know they are very tight and passive in that case.

If it was HU against the 3.bettor I would also check this flop most of the time to get him a chance to bluff or over-value lower pairs if he is capable of doing so.

But multi-way and with a lot in the pot you can just get it in yourself most of the time as you did. Again if your not up against total nits.

If the 3-bettor on the other hand is loose and aggressive I would probably consider 4-bet him (all-in?) to get rid of the SB and collect dead money since it is a small chance that SB is stronger than you when he just calls the 3-bet. You are in this case ahead of both their ranges and should often go with the hand pre-flop unless you are very deep.

In the later scenario you want them to either fold or call you with AK or worse since you are a favorite against everything except KK and AA. SB can trap sometimes but it is unlikely. HU against a loose aggressive you can call and trap yourself with QQ but it is very dangerous multi-way.

Now you got a very good flop with over pair so with just a pot size bet left the money goes in most of the time either by check-call or bet yourself. (If you check and the 3-bettor also check and an ace comes on the turn you should fold to any further bets especially multi-way- maybe also a king).

Multi-way to bet yourself is probably best as you did - most of the time.

Last edited:
rayrc

rayrc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Besides knowing stacks and positions, you must consider the type of player, is he tight or loose. It seems to me the best you can do on the flop is check-call. According with the image of the raiser it's a good idea to fold.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NLHE full ring.
Recently playing cash 1-3 (max 300 buy in) with a big stack of $800.
I raised UTG with pocket queens to 13, and the player to my left re-raised to 65 (stack size 300), with the small blind calling for 65.
I called wanting to see a flop of undercards, which came 10 5 6 rainbow.
Small blind checked, I shoved for around 200 into a pot of 200.
The player to my left called and had pocket Aces.
Would anyone have played this differently? / how would you have played?
I did not want to shove pre flop as I knew probably the only hand I was beating was JJ.

I´m not that famliar with Fullring, alltough if you raise UTG pre and get 4bet i wouldnt include JJ in villains range there. Depends on the dynmaics and image of hero and villain, but cold 4bet + SB Coldcall id might even consider folding pre there. Your best bet is to flip vs AK and because of the SPR you cant really just jam flop because villain(s) will just fold theire AK there and snap you with AA KK.

So id 3bet utg and fold to a 4bet + coldcall. If you only get 4bet play x/c after the flop as you are oop.

Also consider including the positions of each player and stacksize in these kind of posts, makes finding a correct answer easier.

Last edited: