Playing mid-range pp's

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recieved this e-mail from PokerRoom.com with advice from a pro on how to play middle PPs, never heard of the guy.
What do you all think about the advice, its a c/p.

Learn from Lammy.
To make things a little easier for our players, we now have our very own poker guru to help you with some useful poker tips. Thomas Lamatsch has been in the industry long enough to understand a thing or two about the magical game. So let Lammy give you the vital edge in your poker.

Lammy and Middle Pairs (77 - TT)
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Middle pairs are excellent for coming in for a raise when nobody else has entered the pot. But be careful at a loose or aggressive table in the earlier positions.

When an active player has raised the pot and nobody else has called they're good re-raising hands. When a tight player has raised you should play them more carefully - use them as if they were a small pair.

If someone has raised and somebody else has re-raised they are NOT playable. The best you can hope for is a coin-flip.

They are also good to use as an all-in hand when you have a short stack (less than 20 BB) when somebody has come for a raise.

If you come to the flop a good rule of thumb is if the sum of the number of overcards on the flop and the number of opponents is 4 or more your hand is definitely no good. An ace counts as 2 in this case. Example: you have 99 and the flop brings KQ7 and there are 2 opponents. So 2 overcards and 2 opponents means your hand is no good.

Your ultimate goal if you come to the flop is to hit a set. If you do that, play it aggressively, especially if there is an ace on the board. This way you can make a lot of money.
[/FONT]

lammy_sign.gif

B

broncos53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What would you guys do if you have 88 utg in a very loose game with a lot of preflop raising?
umm well probaly fold but i might limp to see if i can see a minumum raise like alot of smaller stake players like myself seem to do alot

Eour

Eour

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off there is a big difference between 10 10 and 2 2. Instead of thinking about low middle and high pair, I try to think of it as low as 2s thru 4s, middle cards for me are 5s thru 8s, high middle cards are 9s thru jacks, and high pairs are Qs thru As. With low pairs and middle pairs I generally limp. With high middle pairs I will raise 2x BB when in position.

Homey Jeromey

Homey Jeromey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very informative and I plan to use these strategies