Playing KQs

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok folks this hand had been one of the banes of my life at the moment, how do you guys play it ? Ill start off

Early Position : If its shorthanded ill raise 3XBB from UTG or UTG +1, and drop it to a re-raise, (4 players or less) in a full table ill fold.

Middle Position : Shorthanded same as above, full table ill limp in, and will call a small raise if i have position on the raiser.

Late Position : If there is a lot of limpers ill limp, ill call a small raise or raise myself.

SB : Hate this hand for some reason in the SB, but if i can ill limp, if its late in the game and folded out to me, ill push for the BB.

BB : Usually ill check if there is a lot of limpers, if there is an example where the players left are the button and the SB ill more than likely raise.

This is just one of these hands that gets me in way to much trouble recently. Just hoping to plug a leak. So what would you change here ?

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rate this hand right up there with playing pocket Jacks - tough one to call. When I fold this I would have generally flopped a monster, when I play it I generally get tagged by aces. For me it's a limping or modest call type of hand. Not a bad one for stealing blinds late in a tourney though...

XXIII

XXIII

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play it with a raise.

KQ is not a top 10 hand but is a solid hand and more likely a better hand then 75% of the people at your table at least. True an Ace anything is ahead before the flop but you have a solid shot at hitting something.

S

StackThemUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Tenbob,
I see KQs as a raising hand in early position. I use Sklansky's 'GAP Theory' for this method. Basically, if you are first to act your hand doesnt need to be crash hot to open a raise, however your hand needs to better than an opening hand when calling a raise in mid/late position.
I very rarely like to limp in with 4/5 limpers behind me with KQs,always raise for me. I generally dont like to limp behind limpers with any hand for that matter.
Try it out and let me know how you get on.
John

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok played a live game last night, not my usual gang and it was 3 handed at this stage, €25 ($32) buy in, the prize money was good but very top heavy, 1st got €200, 2nd €50 so it was bubble stage. I was the table aggressor and i was picking up blinds on nearly every hand.

Picked up KQs on the button so i opened for the standard raise. Then the blinds went crazy (BB even swore LOL), SB re-raised me, and the BB went All-in. Now what?

I let it go only to see 99 against JJ. Would have been getting great odds with the 2 overs, (which hit a K on the flop BTW), but i had to let the hand go. Went on to do a chip deal which left me with €175 ($220) so wansnt too bad. I know 3 handed this hand is a monster, but still behind any A.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tenbob you def made the right decision to lay this hand down to a raise and a reraise all in. Its horrible when they flip and you got 2 over but even an A-rag goes in fav v your hand. You still go in the underdog, even with the two overcards

KQs looks great in your hand but realistically ten handed you gotta pray for a flush draw or no overcards, and you gotta hit a pair on the flop

I will usually limp, small raise late position. Small raise 5 or 6 handed