Playing on KK and AA

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a strange strategy of playing AA and KK on poker stars. Since Starz has a winnings insurance feature, I decided to go all-in on the preflop and insure my winnings against QQ or JJ. Otherwise my opponents either fold on the flop or they get a good hand. What do you think of this strategy?

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a strange strategy of playing AA and KK on Poker Stars. Since Starz has a winnings insurance feature, I decided to go all-in on the preflop and insure my winnings against QQ or JJ. Otherwise my opponents either fold on the flop or they get a good hand. What do you think of this strategy?

you will lose a lot of value vs AJ, other pairs, you just get folds most of the time, and other random hands, the good side is you win the blinds most of the times and it's variance free

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can definitely get more out of these super premium hands. This means that you are giving away EV unnecessarily through your strategy alone. Also, pokerstars makes you pay for this feature, as far as I know they deduct 1% for this insurance. So if you have a reasonable bankroll management, I would do without this insurance feature.

Tredford

Tredford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a strange strategy of playing AA and KK on Poker Stars. Since Starz has a winnings insurance feature, I decided to go all-in on the preflop and insure my winnings against QQ or JJ. Otherwise my opponents either fold on the flop or they get a good hand. What do you think of this strategy?

I checked PS and you are only giving away 1% of your equity in the pot.
However, if you are all-in with AA for $50 and someone calls for 50% and shows KK, you are 81/19 to win ... with the insurance, you will get 80$ and PS will get the other $20. Unless it runs out for KK, then you still get $80 and the other guy gets $100.

Its not a bad idea, if you dont have the bankroll to take a big hit from a bad beat.
But if your bankroll cant take the bad beats, maybe you need to play lower stakes?
If you decide to ever play live or on another site that doesnt have insurance, your post flop game will give you trouble.

By playing the AA or KK normally by making the standard 2Bet or 3Bet, this will give you more experience at playing post-flop.

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you will lose a lot of value vs AJ, other pairs, you just get folds most of the time, and other random hands, the good side is you win the blinds most of the times and it's variance free

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I checked PS and you are only giving away 1% of your equity in the pot.
However, if you are all-in with AA for $50 and someone calls for 50% and shows KK, you are 81/19 to win ... with the insurance, you will get 80$ and PS will get the other $20. Unless it runs out for KK, then you still get $80 and the other guy gets $100.

Its not a bad idea, if you dont have the bankroll to take a big hit from a bad beat.
But if your bankroll cant take the bad beats, maybe you need to play lower stakes?
If you decide to ever play live or on another site that doesnt have insurance, your post flop game will give you trouble.

By playing the AA or KK normally by making the standard 2Bet or 3Bet, this will give you more experience at playing post-flop.

I agree with you, but I only play this way on Poker Stars, when I play live poker, I naturally play it differently

Tredford

Tredford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you, but I only play this way on Poker Stars, when I play live poker, I naturally play it differently

Funny .. I never play cash but today there was a throwable on PS, and I needed to play 50 hands at 6+ cash.
Near the end, I was dealt JJ and 2B at least 1 limp, the buton (also Blind) 3bet AI and i called.
KK broke my heart ...
With 5$ in the pot, we BOTH took our equity insurance (and I was thinking of this post!)
Flop was AxxJx.
I got $1.35 and missed out on $5!
But KK took $3.45 and dodged a bad beat!

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Insurance is a good way to reduce variance, so nothing wrong there. But going Allin preflop with AA and KK loses a lot of EV.

StomatologT

StomatologT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The strategy is certainly reliable, but is that really what you want to get out of poker? After all, poker is all about risk, and if you don't risk with a hand like AA or KK, then what do you risk with? Especially AA will win 80% of the time, which means it's worth going all-in and going with it until the end, since 8 out of 10 times you'll win. It's the usual math.:deal:

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I agree

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If AA or KK, then against fish I go All-in preflop

emejota23

emejota23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a weird strategy of playing AA and KK on Poker Stars. Since Starz has a win insurance feature, I decided to go all-in pre-flop and lock my winnings against QQ or JJ. Otherwise, my opponents either fold the flop or get a good hand. What do you think of this strategy?

I also almost always use this type of strategy, since pokerstars almost always get villains, who play hands of little value, and I prefer to win something safe than lose everything. :D

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot depends on the opponents, in freerolls or low stacks many players end up calling your all-in. However, there are better ways to get value out of these hands at bigger stacks.

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would definitely loose a lot of potential profit, but also avoid a lot of traps. It's a decent play if someone is raising before you, but as first player to act I think a sizable raise would be best.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At least you have a strategy..

Doing a shove with a premium hand, with insurance, just in case, is a strategy that may work out for you. Others are going to crunch the numbers, try to get maximum return. But they forget poker is a game of feel for many, and if shoving with insurance works for your game, stick with it.

emejota23

emejota23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a weird strategy of playing AA and KK on Poker Stars. Since Starz has a win insurance feature, I decided to go all-in pre-flop and lock my winnings against QQ or JJ. Otherwise, my opponents either fold the flop or get a good hand. What do you think of this strategy?

is that this is the most rational and logical way to play, in pokerstars, I play it the same way. :D

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not very in favor of AA, I prefer KK, when going allin preflop, I'm in favor, in my case there's 85% of me losing with AA

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends if I'm playing zoom or on a regular table. As the zoom I don't have much information about the opponents at the table I usually use it often but on regular tables I try to exploit the weaknesses of the opponents to generate +EV

F

FlushKings311

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Hard not to play them if you get them. But should prepare in case it doesn't go well.

GDKavindu

GDKavindu

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LK
Chips
I did the same trick. Sometimes it works

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
To look into your two cards and see “rockets” there is one of the most pleasant and exciting moments in poker. Pocket aces are the #1 starting hand in Hold'em, however, many people manage to make blunders with it. Although aces are the best of all possible starting hands, this does not mean that they are absolutely invulnerable. And so if you play this hand without paying enough attention to it, you risk losing a big pot. First of all, we need to be clear that pocket aces are not the kind of hands we want to play in a multiway pot. The ideal situation is to go heads-up on the flop. As such, don't limp in early position with AA, it's a dangerous tactic and you should avoid it. Of particular note is the fact that aces are definitely not the hand to slowplay with. Many amateur players succumb to this addiction simply because AA is the #1 starting hand. But that's just preflop. Things change post-flop, and if you miss a set, you only have one pair.

A

Artexx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA is dangerous to play so you need to be alert of the cards on the table. Aggressiv pre flop so idealy you play heads-ups. And try to get your chips in. Slow playing can end up very bad or leads to not getting much value.
Been beaten badly with AA, also got out alot of money against players with AA. ��

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There is no correct way of playing poker, if opposition call often enough then it is theoretically correct to open, or limp shove AA, KK.

P

pokerD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
That's the same strategy I use. It used to work pretty well