Playing Hidden sets

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with two spades on the board i do not allow a free card. i try to never allow a free card. bet the pot on this one.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With two spades, no, I don't give a free card. In the example above, why did you push turn ? If you decide to slowplay you have to play small pot poker once the scare card hits (unless you face no resistance whatsoever).

Flops like K68 rainbow when you have raised UTG (with KK) and the blinds call are good spots to slowplay, like the first example since a card like a 7, pretty unlikely to give someone a straight, might give them two pairs and thus a second best hand (wich they will pay off dearly). You got unlucky in the first example: only 4 outs could help him (less than 10%) and the card hits. It happens.

B

broncos53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow play...easy you want to get the most profit out of your hand.... you have no flush draw and only a low straight draw on the board here im hoping someone has AK and catches one of them or 10 10 and catches a 10 or maybe even they have A5 because people do call with that and they catch 3 5's then giving you a fullhouse and getting action from them....however if there is a flush draw i probally bet to get the draws out of the hand

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the original hand, would you prefer it if you bet the flop and everyone folded? You played it fine and it was just a cooler - he more often has a small set more often than an unlikely straight. You had outs anyway.

In the second I like betting because that's what you'd do anyway, and the board is more drawey.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
however if there is a flush draw i probally bet to get the draws out of the hand
I feel like I'm repeating myself for the 1000th time here, but you want flush draws to stay in at the wrong price, which is why you bet, and you hope they CALL, not fold.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the original hand, would you prefer it if you bet the flop and everyone folded?

I just wanted to discuss the merits of slow playing with respect to the chance you take by giving free cards, it's why i didn't post the results originally.

W

Wlokos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As everybody's said, I'd slowplay it. On the turn, though, I'm betting a bit one way or another.

P

-PotCommited88-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say from the experience i have had with these types of hands that a small small bet would be most profitable. I like the bet of 40 or something along those lines. This says, lets see if i can take this down without much trouble. it also disuises the real strength of your hand by saying, ill bet 40 into a pot of 450.... almost everyone will call with any two cards. plus, your just putting more money into the pot for the take down on the river. If you do get two callers in this position i would check the turn being first to act. i have had situations where this exact type of play got me lots of chips. gl at the tables

A

aarogorn_

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow play in this situation comes back to haunt you to often, if slow play make small bets to increase the pot. Figure the odds for them to catch a straight, or for that ace/king to fall. It seems there are so many outs for someone to draw that taking the pot right now might be best.

S

sida77

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i havent read what everybody has said but you have 3 queens taking on small and big blind. They may of called with something suited and connected so u dont want to see every card and u also dont want to win there and then with 3 Qs i think milk the flop if a king or jack comes thats really good for you because then you may get a caller who thinks he has it won with the king so u can bet and they reraise. but if the turn comes and it greatens the chance for a flush or straight, make a bet that would give them no odds if they were close causing them to fold.