playing the button/co in middle stages of a mtt

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i cant tell if you are being facetious or not lol.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see no problem with using this as one weapon in an arsenal of plays. I wouldn't use it all the time, or even most of the time, but as we need to change up our play, especially against what you class as 'strong opponents', then this concept isn't bad.

Like most things, it has advantages and disadvantages, and depends a LOT on relevant stack sizes (the shorter the relative stacks the worse making this play would be).

The problem I have with it is that 'strong' players will generally not play back against a late position raise with anything. They have some standards. Their stack size also has to be optimal for restealing (~15bbs is a good number). So we're losing fold equity by doing this (obviously the bigger the blinds relative to stacks the more of a big deal this is). We also of course risk letting ragged hands in for free and letting them outdraw us.

We of course cannot limp like this all the time, especially against strong opponents who we play with often, because they will invariably catch on to what you're doing and know to either check or stick in a big raise which you and your marginal hand will have to fold to.

This move is 'good' in that a strong player will know that in most mid-late tourney situations, calling an LP raise from the blinds is a horrible idea, as their opponent is handed the initiative in the hand and they will be voluntarily playing a flop out of position against an aggressor. If we limp-call, we are essentially doing the same thing, but we have position. Letting someone else take the initiative isn't necessarily such a horrible idea if we are going to be able to play a pot in position, as long as the stacks are of sufficient size to allow us to get the most out of acting in position.

So yeah, it's reasonable, but best used quite sparingly.

K

Kennyseven

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well put Dorkus...I just wish I had the talent of explaining this stuff. I definately agree with everything you said.