Overplaying my stakes?

J

jh70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time I play 1-3 no limit live and occasionally I play micro stakes online to mess around. A lot of times I feel like some of the tactics and ideas I use are too advanced for the players at those stakes. Today I had a hand that I was in the big blind, Utg raised to 3.5x, it folded to me and I called. flop was 5s 5h 8s, he bet 5x and I raised him to 15x, he called, turn was 6s he checked and I jammed. he called it off with red pocket 33. I should have all of the trips, straights, boats and maybe flushes based of my range vs. his but that apparently made no difference. This is just one example of what I'm talking about tho. I would like to play higher stakes live but I am limited by bankroll/ lack of higher stakes games. I only have one room near by and 2-3 is the highest stake to get a table except the weekend and I cant play on weekends.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Adapt to dumber play. It's easier than you think. You can build up your BR to suit the stakes that you desire.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont over bluff in these stakes, just look for better spots and get max value from your strong holdings.

fa_max4

fa_max4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most people in micro stakes games aren't defining their ranges or the ranges of their opponents. They just look at their 2 cards and play them.

And yeah like Viper Chipit said, don't over bluff... play for value and you're gonna be fine.

C

crimsonshroud88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were looking for more competitive games online, try NL25+ especially on pokerstars. People are making a living grinding these limits, so they should be quite competent.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must stay within your budget (low stakes). You will be playing against players who refuse to fold. They will call you with any two cards, and they will "slop-out" on you more often then the good players. So, you can play tighter, play less hands, try to keep the pot low, wait and wait, watch for the fish, when your cards and position match-up... then Attack the fish... and take all of their chips. Yippee !!!

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strategy for tournaments, I think that in the initial phase we should look for good games, in my point of view we should not risk our stacks with two pairs as for example. I think at the beginning of a tournament we should get the nuts or something close to reach the middle stage.In the midseason of a tournament in my point of view we should take advantage of the opportunities to steal blinds, but for this to happen we must pay attention in SB and BB, we must observe if they are paying with any two cards, or if they are safer . When the SB and BB are safe players take advantage of stealing blinds by raising.
If players apply the call, you have to continue your strategy with a continuation bet, if there is resistance you must respect this resistance if you have not hit anything. Most of the time, your strategy in the middle phase of a tournament against insurance players will work.
In Bubble depending on your stack amount you must have differentiated strategies. If you are short stacked you should be more arround, being looser, if you have big stacks you should be as tight as possible because you already have money guaranteed.