Overplayed top pair?

I

iAmBadAtPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1/2 live game 9 handed

Utg limps and folds to hero on btn with QTo. Hero raises to 10 and BB and utg call.
Flop:2Q4r $30
Utg bets 15,hero 3bets to 40
Utg shoves for 85 more,hero folds

trippin

trippin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overplayed top pair? He or She over played QT, I don't see the benefit of raising QTo QJ, and QK will just flat , good fold to the shove I guess.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm, the donk bet rarely means strength but this is a pretty dry board. Sometimes people with big hands just want to get the hand over with. They're more interested in winning pots than money. This may be one of those times. I doubt he's doing this with a just a queen but even its a better than QT. You're getting pretty good PO's and maybe he could have some kind of weird back door combo draw but I think I'd just fold this.

I came across a similar hand a couple of days ago, (also 1/2). The UTG guy had flopped a set and just open shoved, so it does happen.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the raise on the button can go either way for you. Some will advocate for flatting Q10 hoping to hit a big flop (like a straight or straight draw or two pair, or a flush draw if suited) and others will advocate for the pre flop raise you did on the button.

Personally, I think Q10 is a flat call hand even from late position at micro and low stakes.

That aside, what do we think villian has? It's probably something like QJ, AQ, or KQ. Given the board the only other possibility is a set of 2s or 4s. I think we can usually rule out AA-QQ as most players will re-raise you pre flop.

As played I think the fold here at 1/2 live is OK. However, this hand is a classic case of why we generally give ourselves less headaches postflop when we don't get out of line playing Q10 preflop in the first place.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, and I liked the preflop raise with QT vs one limper. You'll usually take it down with a flop CBet.

I

iAmBadAtPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya i was pretty torn on flatting and raising but went for a raise because there was only one limper so i didnt have very good implied odds when i hit my straight so i was hoping to just take it down pre. After playong with the utg villain im pretty sure his utg limping range is mostly low pocket pairs and maybe ace rag which would give him a gut shot with an over. Idk i just tend to fold to aggression a lot post flop

K

KevinLee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the raise to iso the limper was a good move. I would imagine the UTG would raise AQ. Maybe limp calling a 3bet with broadways and small pocket pairs. Your QT really is just a bluff catcher. Probably a good fold.

I

iAmBadAtPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got another hand similar to the first one.
9 handed two players limp to hero in CO who raises to $15 with AA. Limpers and BB call.
Flop:7K9 $60
Checks to HJ who bets $25 hero calls and other players fold
Turn:8 $110 both players check
River:8 villain bets 75 and hero shoves for 150

I decided to play this one more passively because i felt confident i would get to see the turn heads up. Should i have raised earlier?

Sent from my LGMS330 using CardsChat mobile app

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, you want to get it all in of course but I think I'd want to make my move earlier. The donk bet means he's interested but probably not strong. He wants to set the price and just like in the earlier case, you shouldn't let him. If you wait until the river he's going to fold all his missed draws and call all his made ones. In both cases you got your entire stack in, but he was able to get away from his missed draws. With bets and raises on the flop and turn he pays off. Your losses are the same either way but your wins are less.

I

iAmBadAtPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya villain ended up having Q8 for runner runner trips. In hindsigght i should have raised flop but thought i would induce another bet if i just flated. Next top pair hand i get im gonna try to get the money in as early as possible then just try to get to showdown.