Opening ranges in 9 max vs 6 max

S

StraightValue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I'm wondering on a table with 9 opponents vs 6, how much wider are the hands you open with? I assume in a 6-max game with the blinds coming around faster you have to play more hands but how many more and do you widen all positions or just the later ones?

Like for example, if you are UTG on a 9-max and are only play lets say 15% of hands vs UTG on a 6-max would you play over 15% or would the wider range come in later positions if at all?

Looking forward to your responses!

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the cash game and I only play with 6 players, and in tournaments I play with different numbers of players and 3-4 players and 6 players and 9

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all,

I'm wondering on a table with 9 opponents vs 6, how much wider are the hands you open with? I assume in a 6-max game with the blinds coming around faster you have to play more hands but how many more and do you widen all positions or just the later ones?

Like for example, if you are UTG on a 9-max and are only play lets say 15% of hands vs UTG on a 6-max would you play over 15% or would the wider range come in later positions if at all?

Looking forward to your responses!

The ranges change slightly, cause players do widen up a bit. I think that is the big reason as to why there are so much 3-betting in 6max as oppose to 9max tables.
For example, in 9max pocket pairs TT- are calling from late positions, while in 6max I see people 3-betting almost every pocket pair.
That being said, it is not so much about changing ranges, as it is about the change in dynamics of the play.

C

Cbob1195

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My range honestly depends on the type of people on my table loose and aggressive and what kind of ranges they look to be playing with and adjust to suit

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the table , but with 6s any ace I am usually playing with suites or not. In the end though if it's a super tight table then I can open up with a very wide range because most of the time they will fold to flop bets.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play much 9 handed but I think it's roughly 3-5% less than 6 handed.
So if you open 15% utg in 6 max you would look to open 10-12% 9 handed.