Open raising range?

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a loose 6 max cash game where the action usually goes limp limo and people often flat call your raise wide,

From UTG Would you be raising 22-88 or folding or open limping?
Also From UTG would you raise or fold broadway suited hands eg: KTs, QTs?

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a loose 6 max cash game where the action usually goes limp limo and people often flat call your raise wide,

From UTG Would you be raising 22-88 or folding or open limping?
Also From EP would you raise or fold broadway suited hands eg: KTs, QTs?

I'd open these broadways. The low pockets 55-22 I would open-Limp if you think it's going to go trough without a raise after you. Given the rake at lowstakes setmining from utg is marginally +ev at best.

Also if you feel you get flatted to much increase your openraise size. If there is a lot of 3betting then lower it.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd open these broadways. The low pockets 55-22 I would open-Limp if you think it's going to go trough without a raise after you. Given the rake at lowstakes setmining from utg is marginally +ev at best.

Also if you feel you get flatted to much increase your openraise size. If there is a lot of 3betting then lower it.
You opening 66-99 utg?

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q. From UTG Would you be raising 22-88 or folding or open limping?
A. I open to raise to eliminate other players. But, it´s not a good hand against higher pairs. Therefore, I do it to check other ones´hands.

Q. Also From UTG would you raise or fold broadway suited hands eg: KTs, QTs?
It´s valueble to make a 4 or 5 bb bet. It´s strong except pokect pairs & Ax.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will not say anything new, only if there are notes on the player, you can do a strategy game on it.

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a guidance, I would not openly limp any hand, except for the SB in case the BB is weak i.e. action is folded to you in the SB or facing lots of other limpers.

Typically if I face limpers, will reaise and CBET w/o mercy and they loose most of the time with their junk ranges.

From UTG suggest to open with strong hands only. Depending on the game (lots of 3Betting ahead) not even open weak pairs 22, 33, 44, 55. They will have difficulties calling a 3 Bet due to the low equity i.e. need to hit set which is only the case in 10% of the time.

In terms of KTs and KJs, I think it is too weak opening from UTG. If you call a 3 bet you are OOP. Even if hitting K, T, J on the board in a horrible spot against tight ranges such as KQ+, AT+, JJ+. Recipe for disaster if opponent is aggressive and you keep calling. These hands typically don't want to play big pots. The only strong hands are KTs, KJs flush or straight draws which do not come along that often (also dominated/blocked by nut A holdings of opponents) so folding and loosing chips is default action when facing aggression with these hands most of the time. Typically good for IP play when you can pot control (CU, BU) keeping the SB, BB in with all their junky calling ranges.

In summary would open 66+, QJ+, A10+ from UTG. Would use RFI charts from various sites such as Blackrain, ChardChat or Johnathan Little and adjust according to the table. Aggressive tables (lots of 3Betting) tight opening ranges, weak tables opening a bit wider in order to see a cheap flops.

Last edited:
LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a guidance, I would not openly limp any hand, except for the SB in case the BB is weak i.e. action is folded to you in the SB or facing lots of other limpers.

If BB is weak, why not just steal?

Typically if I face limpers, will reaise and CBET w/o mercy and they loose most of the time with their junk ranges.
Sure, but OP asked about exploiting fish. Open-limp should by no means be our default strategy.
V

[...]

In terms of KTs and KJs, I think it is too weak opening from UTG. If you call a 3 bet you are OOP. Even if hitting K, T, J on the board in a horrible spot against tight ranges such as KQ+, AT+, JJ+. Recipe for disaster if opponent is aggressive and you keep calling. These hands typically don't want to play big pots. The only strong hands are KTs, KJs flush or straight draws which do not come along that often (also dominated/blocked by nut A holdings of opponents) so folding and loosing chips is default action when facing aggression with these hands most of the time. Typically good for IP play when you can pot control (CU, BU) keeping the SB, BB in with all their junky calling ranges.

In summary would open 66+, QJ+, A10+ from UTG. Would use RFI charts from various sites such as Blackrain, ChardChat or Johnathan Little and adjust according to the table. Aggressive tables (lots of 3Betting) tight opening ranges, weak tables opening a bit wider in order to see a cheap flops.

I think your range is to tight.
Especially if we are talking weak tables as OP stated. I think you are missing value not opening these hands. VS regular opponents you will have a hard time since your range is too unbalanced, thus any regular will mark you as a Nit and never play against that UTG-range unless he is nutted.

Last edited:
E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I would be raising down to 22s here after there have been some limpers but pocket pairs and suited Broadway cards are good cards to raise limpers with. Remember to increase your sizing tho as now more people will have better odds to call if you don't. I usually 5.5 or 6bb raise after there's been limpers.

Hope this helps!

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, it all depends on the players at the table, on their style of play and skill of the game.

Usually, playing small pocket pairs from the UTG position is negative on the disstation, and KTs and QTs are often dominant in the case of a call, and they are also not particularly happy with the statistics. But if the opponent is weak, or plays too many hands, then everything changes.

Usually when you read your opponent's hands correctly, your cards don't play as much of a role. And now mistakes on the preflop are not as disastrous as a bad postflop game.:)

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I usually call these hands over 4 players in the same hand because one thing and certain low values are attracted to low pairs!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should definitely be showing a profit raising suited broadway hands from all positions in 6-max cash.

With the low pocket pairs, I like raising these as well. It's fine if several players call and you play a single-raised pot with good implied odds if you hit a set, and sometimes winning a small pot when you miss (either by checking down or getting your c-bet through). But for sure, in very loose-passive games, open-limping these hands is a reasonable alternative :)

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In loose 6max games (assuming 100bb stacks), yes I would be raising these hands from early position. I want to be involved in as many pots as possible with bad players.

I

imhereforfreerolls

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In cash games i always open pockets, unless the bet way too high for low ones.