Online Timing Tells

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I think I've noticed something interesting. I make more with my good hands if I don't instantly hit the bet button. Am I just imagining this?

If I make a quick bet with nutted hands people seem to fold more often than if I sit and think about my bet sizing a bit, is this a thing, or is there some kind of imagined bias going on where I'm only having more success because I'm picking better bet sizes by thinking about them :confused:

Is it just random chance? I feel like after playing over 30k hands in the past few weeks and trying both approaches, that slowing down has been more lucrative. People give my cbets more credit if I don't just mash the bet button immediately. And they are more likely to call later streets if they called a previous one and I extend the pause a bit more before betting.

Anyone else ever notice this?

Last edited:
Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's interesting, I haven't noticed that before but am definitely going to be on the lookout for it!

My favorite (for observing in others at least) is the quick call -- when someone calls your bet quickly, it's much more likely to be a draw or low/mid strength hand. Strong hands and air are both very unlikely with these fast calls.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I realy don't think it makes any difference since most players usualy play more tables, so i don't think they even see what you do :D

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realy don't think it makes any difference since most players usualy play more tables, so i don't think they even see what you do :D

Ah, then perhaps it's just a coincidence.

Though it could be possible that people who know others are playing multiple tables take advantage of a pause because they think it means someone is multi-tablingfand not paying attention? I could swear I get 3bet more often if I hesitate a lot preflop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to standardize my reaction times as much as possible to not give away timing tells. As for picking up tells from others one of the most reliable in my experience is an instant check behind, because it mean, the opponent had pre selected "check/fold". Also if someone tank before calling my turn bet, I am more likely to fire the third barrel on the river, because I assume, it typically mean, they were close to folding.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like fundiver, I try to standardize my time. However, that is sometimes impossible especially if I'm multitabling. I personally don't put too much stock in this with other players unless there is something shown that is blatantly obvious. Most players multi-table or are distracted so they probably don't pay much attention to time.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not think it will help you become a successful player. Your skills and experience are more important to your success.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always wondered about this .. sometimes I've had good results with bet bet bet instantly all three streets ... sometimes I try to take about 5-10 seconds every action regardless of the action ...

The conclusion I've reached is that proper bet sizing is the real way to influence a villain's action .. timing plays a role but a much smaller one ...

Haze777s

Haze777s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's interesting, I haven't noticed that before but am definitely going to be on the lookout for it!

My favorite (for observing in others at least) is the quick call -- when someone calls your bet quickly, it's much more likely to be a draw or low/mid strength hand. Strong hands and air are both very unlikely with these fast calls.
Yes, but this can also be a misconception, who specifically with medium hands makes a quick decision to pick up the Bank, usually a small Bank

Poker Tells