Oh MY! What to do???

D

drawingneardead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you know this?

The 3 bet before the flop.... When we limp with a small pair and flop a set, we usually have to be deceptive to win a big pot. When we call a raise to get there, we tend to get paid off.

If the 3 bettor had a big pair, we get paid. If he had some random paint & connects to the flop, we get paid. Bottom set rulez....

I think IO was good here. I like to get in a bit cheaper myself, but I'll slowplay a set like a dog......& if I have to muck it later, so be it.

Not gonna recommend to any player that they limp & slowplay.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Dorkus Malorkus....y does that sound so familiar? I think my stepmother used to call me that....Is it from something or did u make it up???

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's from the simpsons. i think bart said it

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
p.s. oh noes i used my 3000th post explaining the origin of chris's screen name :(

MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what on earth is "the positive EV kept me in" supposed to mean? throwing phrases like that around without any explanation really makes it look like you don't know what you're on about, i'm afraid. :)

LOL Dorkus I like your blunt honesty. :) You're right, my notion of "positive EV" is skewed and I will have to re-invest some time into re-studying that concept. I have read many books on poker and truthfully my eyes gloss over when they get into the math and I've probably given the concept the wrong definition in my mind.

Which is one of the reasons I posted this here, I wanted to learn from this hand and have learned quite a bit from the comments from everyone. So thank you all for taking the time to give me some input.

There are a lot of different reasons why people play poker and just as many reasons why they play a hand a certain way. I did play this hand terribly and got lucky, I accept that.

Here's my perspective on this hand.

Keep in mind that I play 1/2 no limit live with 200.00 buy-ins, online I have played the 50.00 and the 25.00 max buy-ins I'm used to calling and playing better than 2, 5 and 20 dollar bets. Stepping down of late to the 10.00 max table with nickel and dime blinds had a lot to do with my decisions in this play.

I do know that pre-flop the re-raise represented Aces or Kings, I took a chance on the call, it's "ONLY" 2 bucks. What I was doing without realizing the ramifications was playing outside the table limits.

Pretty much through out the hand, I knew each call was wrong but the chance to triple my stack kept me in and I erroneously called it "positive EV". It was a tilt/gamblers call and I got lucky.

In my mind I could "afford" to lose the 10 bucks ...most definitely a bad play on my part.

In this hand I'm out of position, and call knowingly a raise which represents a higher pair than I'm holding. Oh the humanity :D

I asked about "positive EV" because I had a feeling I was interpreting it wrong, especially in this instance. See the question marks after "positive EV"????

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm off to re-study some math concepts. LOL :D

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey,
i may be quite drunk but this is an easy fold pre-flop and if not, a definete fold on the flop, the big raise preflop says to me he has at least an overpair to ur fives, if i had 99, 1010 or JJ i'd bet big and try to collect the blinds + any other limpers.

I'm not trying to be harsh but you winning with a full house when you shouldnt even have been in the hand is real bad luck on both of the other players and is quite hard to take! Everyone has to learn though and as long as you take in the comments that the guys on this site give you, u should learn not to make calls like that again because in the long run u would lose a small fortune, a raise and a re-raise and you call with 55 seriously not good man, even if u do hit a five if theres any over cards u cant rule out someone with a bigger PP that may also have hit there set and ur gonna stack off in a hand u should never have been a part of in the first place.

I'm not trying to make out that i'm a god at the tables, just trying to give my piece of advice. Good luck in the future

P

pkrook

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow...

Very interesting scenario...no comment at this time. Sry.

MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I suspected, my understanding of positive EV was way skewed. In this hand I could assign positive EV to 5/5 when it was dealt to me, but I'd have to evaluate position and being on the BB lowers it.

The pre-flop raise and re-raise put me heavily in the negative EV range and I shouldn't have called the original bets.

I was thinking of positive EV being "what I could win compared to my stack size/tripling up" confusing myself thinking the "gamble" is worth the calls. Tripling my stack *IF* I win. BUT I was ignoring the actual indicators/reality that I was actually in a negative EV situation.

Even when I win one of these, I lose because it reinforces gambling instincts rather than smart solid poker basics.

Maybe I was thinking "pot odds"??? LOL I think I better go re-study that too before I make more of a fool of myself.

Evidently "EV" doesn't consider chips already entered into the pot, "EV" positive or negative is the expectation of the value of your hand relative to the other players and the texture of the cards on the board.

Here's a couple of articles I found on "EV".
:: expected value :: - www.bet-the-pot.com :: intelligent poker community

Poker articles: An in-depth look at the nature of poker

This was a foolish hand on my part, I had an Idea I could learn something from it, I didn't know how far out of line I actually was. Foolish but nothing ventured nothing gained. :cool: