NLH Position

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!!!

Lookinig for posts about position in poker. Anything and everything!

Thx in advance for help!

S

strick9customz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Position position position. A motto to live by

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight in early positions, increase range in middle, aggressive towards button. Good luck.

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Links pls :)
I need to learn that thing and need as much material as possible!

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight in early positions, increase range in middle, aggressive towards button. Good luck.
That is acctually quite easy but my concern is what happens when others fold. Button changes position and no idea I'm very confused about it!

M

Marowin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have poker tracker like holdem manager 2or pokertracker 4 i suggest you to build your own range at every position. You must to see it how play your villains and analyze it. It depend on what size of table is and what u playin.
Probably it helps you better than posts (ofcours if you are not a beginner).

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Position at the poker table is one of the most important factors in the game. Your decision depends on your position on different cards. But for complete success, you still need poker software such as Hold'em Manager or Poker Tracker, or just watch your opponents very carefully. If you are in late position and players who rarely enter the game sit on the Blind, then you can safely raise and steal their Blind on almost any card. In the same way, if you are in early position and you do not have a premium hand and a not very good hand, you can safely make a pass. The main thing to know the basics of poker, and everything else becomes clear with experience. The more you play, the more experience you have. Good luck.

subluchuk

subluchuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Try to watch your Position game over and over again.For beginners its difficult to under stand.One of the biggest mistakes beginners offen do,is to call reraises with marginal and often dominated hands(AJ,KJ,K10,QJ)out of Position.You really have to avoid that.Especially when you re unexperienced and not so firm with the play after the flop

B

bagoly696

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early position requires cautious play. You have to wait until you know the players and see some hands. But you can be successful in every position.

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was thinking that no one will reply but I lots of got helpfull info.
Many thx to all. I have a map in which direction I can go.

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have poker tracker like holdem manager 2or pokertracker 4 i suggest you to build your own range at every position. You must to see it how play your villains and analyze it. It depend on what size of table is and what u playin.
Probably it helps you better than posts (ofcours if you are not a beginner).

...is any of these softaware forbidden at pokerstars? I turned on ones equilab and got an email that I should not use it.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a better view

Starting Hands by Position
Some starting hands are so strong they can be played in any position. You don't get these hands very often, but when you do, you are generally a favorite from the get-go to win that pot.
Playable Hands In Early Position

The following table shows that we recommend playing any pair of 7's or higher in early position, as well as the twelve suited and six unsuited card combinations.
Pairs
  • 7's through Aces
Suited
  • Aces with a king, queen, jack, or 10
  • King with a queen, jack, or 10
  • Queen with a jack or 10
  • Jack with a 10 or 9
  • 10 with a 9
Unsuited
  • King with a queen or jack
Playable Hands In Middle Position

When you are the fifth, sixth or seventh player to act, then you are in middle position and can safely play smaller pairs like 6's and 5's. You can also add ten additional suited hands and four more unsuited combinations to your playable repertoire if the pot has not been raised.
Cards added to the early position's playable hands are italicized:
Pairs
  • 5's and 6's through Aces
Suited
  • Aces with a king, queen, jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, or 6
  • King with a queen, jack, 10, or 9
  • Queen with a jack, 10, 9, or 8
  • Jack with a 10, 9, or 8
  • 10 with a 9, or 8
Unsuited
  • King with a queen, jack, or 10
  • Queen with a jack or 10
  • Jack with a 10
Playable Hands In late Position

In late position you have the advantage of acting last or next-to-last. As a result, you can add a variety of hands to your arsenal. Most are bargain basement specials, however, they should be played only if the pot has not been raised. Moreover, you should be disciplined enough to release them if the flop brings anything less than an abundant harvest of friendly cards.
Cards added to the middle position's playable hands are italicized:
Pairs
  • 2's , 3's and 4's through Aces
Suited
  • Aces with a king, queen, jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4,3,or 2
  • King with a queen, jack, 10, 9, 8 ,7, 6, 5, 4, 3, or 2
  • Queen with a jack, 10, 9, 8
  • Jack with a 10, 9, 8, or 7
  • 10 with a 9, 8, or 7
  • 9 with a 7 or 6
  • 8 with a 7 or 6
  • 7 with a 6 or 5
  • 6 with a 5
  • 5 with a 4
Unsuited
  • King with a queen, jack, 10, or 9
  • Queen with a jack, 10, or 9
  • Jack with a 10, 9 or 8
  • 10 with a 9 or 8
  • 9 with a 8 or 7
  • 8 with a 7
If you are new to the game, have been playing indiscriminately, or have an any-two-cards-can-win philosophy, you may believe these recommendations are too tight. They're not. In fact, they are somewhat loose.
A hand like K
hearts.gif
hearts.gif
while playable in late position, is a pretty sorry excuse for a Hold'em hand. If you flop a king and there's any appreciable action, it's fairly apparent that someone else has a king with a bigger kicker than yours. If you flop a 2, you've guaranteed yourself the lowest pair on board. Even if you are incredibly lucky and flop a flush, there's no assurance that it is the best flush. Probably the very best flop you could hope for is something like A
hearts.gif
clubs.gif
diamonds.gif
, which gives you three deuces with a strong kicker. You also have three cards to a flush, and while the odds against catching two more hearts are long indeed, it is an additional way to win. Players call this a backdoor draw. More importantly, an ace on the board guarantees a call or two from any opponents holding an ace in their hand.
Still, K
hearts.gif
hearts.gif
and a lot of the other playable hands in late position are vulnerable from any number of direction, and it takes some degree o skill to navigate your way through the murky waters of a Hold'em pot in a rickety canoe like this one.
--Reprinted by permission from "Poker for Dummies", by Richard D. Harroch and Lou Krieger. IDG Books Worldwide, ©2000.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is King, as everyone says. The reason why position is so important, is that you are "last to act" which means you have more information than anyone else at the table. (Yes it is true that the Big Blind is truly last to act, but only pre-flop.)

So because of this advantage, you are able to play a wider selection of hands due to having more information. The thing is, this isn't just a passive advantage. What I mean is, that simply playing more hands is not an advantage by itself. To take advantage, you must increase your aggression to truly take advantage of what you know.

I don't think that playing more hands passively is an advantage - i would hope that most would agree.

Good luck.

S

Salteballe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position at the poker table is one of the most important factors in the game. Your decision depends on your position on different cards. But for complete success, you still need poker software such as Hold'em Manager or Poker Tracker, or just watch your opponents very carefully. If you are in late position and players who rarely enter the game sit on the Blind, then you can safely raise and steal their Blind on almost any card. In the same way, if you are in early position and you do not have a premium hand and a not very good hand, you can safely make a pass. The main thing to know the basics of poker, and everything else becomes clear with experience. The more you play, the more experience you have. Good luck.
wow, your suggestion really helps!!

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is King, as everyone says. The reason why position is so important, is that you are "last to act" which means you have more information than anyone else at the table. (Yes it is true that the Big Blind is truly last to act, but only pre-flop.)

So because of this advantage, you are able to play a wider selection of hands due to having more information. The thing is, this isn't just a passive advantage. What I mean is, that simply playing more hands is not an advantage by itself. To take advantage, you must increase your aggression to truly take advantage of what you know.

I don't think that playing more hands passively is an advantage - i would hope that most would agree.

Good luck.
That is very helpfull and best advise I've read. I really appreciate your time!!! :)
Many, many thx!

btw I think K2 suited is not that bad if you are against a notorious drawer and aim for the strongest showdown only.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
I am not contradicting anyone here.
Just that my thought process is a little different.

Position in a game helps.
But you need good cards to play.
No matter what position you are at.

If you have AA does position matter?

If you have 57os (on the button)how does position help?

Just think without Emotions:)

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some things I consider before I act in late position:
What has already happened?
Who is in the pot & blinds?
What are their likely hand ranges?
What is the size of the pot / SPR?
What outcome do I want for a given action? - Is it REALISTIC?
If I bet / raise am I willing to fold to a re-raise?
Am I getting a good price to call?

Last edited:
A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to watch your Position game over and over again.For beginners its difficult to under stand.One of the biggest mistakes beginners offen do,is to call reraises with marginal and often dominated Hands(AJ,KJ,K10,QJ)out of Position.You really have to avoid that.Especially when you re unexperienced and not so firm with the play after the flop
Very helpful...shortly but explains a lot.
Mant thx!

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After some time my thread shapes a nice conversation...interesting.

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi
I am not contradicting anyone here.
Just that my thought process is a little different.

Position in a game helps.
But you need good cards to play.
No matter what position you are at.

If you have AA does position matter?

If you have 57os (on the button)how does position help?

Just think without Emotions:)
Good Point!
Somehow this is how I play naturally...position is an interesting topic. ...but generally, I think that in the end hand wins...not position. :D
I just have to be more aware of that what is going on... on a table...I mean poker rules.

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some things I consider before I act in late position:
What has already happened?
Who is in the pot & blinds?
What are their likely hand ranges?
What is the size of the pot / SPR?
What outcome do I want for a given action? - Is it REALISTIC?
If I bet / raise am I willing to fold to a re-raise?
Am I getting a good price to call?
I acctually had a chance to watch a near-pro player for 2 days...very good player...my friend. What you write is what I have learned. Now acctually he is pushing me to learn position. So here I'am :D