NL5 Problems

G

George Zalos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello , I have beat NL2 4 zoom with 4.5bb/100. I took 7 NL5 shots and all of them failed ( -$35).
What are the mandatory adjustments I need to make to maintain a +EV gameplay?
People tend to 3bet / 4bet really light in and out of position...How to cope with that? Should I 4bet light as well and play a LAG game or tighten up and fold to every 4bet on guys I don't know stats ?
e.g I call 1 out of 4 4bets on a guy and he end up having KK for an overpair winning the pot. Was he bluffing / semi-bluffing on the rest 3 4bets ?
In NL2 I simply waited a hand and never called a turn raise without 2pair+. I also rarely hero called the river 3rd barell. Are hero calls necessary in NL5 as people bluff jam too often to keep a good winrate?
Thanks!! Hope I'll fix my leaks!!
NL2 graph: http://imgur.com/a/ADT7j

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
post your positional stats , but have a feeling you are going to have nitty stats and passive post flop , since in above post you talk about calling all the time rather than raising.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's difficult to know with the limited info that you give. Posting stats would be helpful.

G

George Zalos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I deleted all the sessions as it was of no point keeping them in my database ( they were nl5 shots ). I was playing 17/15 with 11% 3bet...thats all I remember ... but the level is too high as I'm still used to playing nl2

M

mr_kommpa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you say 7 5NL shots and lost $35, do you mean that you took 7 seperate shots? If that is the case you should consider grinding 2NL a bit more and take a shot when you can handle at least a 5BI downswing.

Another thing is to carefully table select and I usually take shots at weakends just beacuse there are more fish and you can get used to the stakes while playing at sort of similar players as the stakes below.

When people is 3Betting a lot you should 4Bet more and 4Bet bluff and you should call more, this does cause some awful flop situations, but I guess you get used to it.

DONT REMOVE YOUR HISTORY. When you move up stakes you usually are a losing player at the next stake and to study your higher limit history can greatly speed up the process to become a winning player and you dont lose money while studying, so do that.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your pre stats seems good, very good actually, so the most likely reason as pointed out is a bit too passive post flop play (supported by red line) At nl2 practise thin value bets, 3 barreling for value, raising for value, and cbetting a bit more (this is a guess), 3 barreling for semi-bluff should sometimes happen ;) not that it's profitable, but gives the idea of agression needed to have great win rate. Now similar red line happens too if you go too deep on the hand and then you have to fold, whitch it is, you know better.

It's quite normal that new level multiplies every mistake one have, so just keep grinding, also only one table (maybe 2) on nl5 first.

When 4tabling you don't learn too much, so you need to devote lots of learning hours off the table. There is no need to change style, just hone it a little bit more perfect. 3bets are still 90% for value. Also when was the last time you changed your pre opening range? When you are better player than the rest, you should be able to open your ranges a bit more (both pfr and calling), but nl5 better keep it a tad tighter than normally first.

Last edited:
J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Deleting your shot taking was the first mistake you missed. I'm sure it's more aggressive than 2nl, but compared to higher stakes it is still way more passive than your leading on. 17 15 sounds pretty damn tight for six max, 11% 3 bet sounds awfully high, as your going to have huge variance with that high of a 3 bet %. It sounds like your not giving your villains enough credit.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if he bluff 3bets, hoping for folds, thats is not that high 3bet%, if he does it for value then yes it's too high. First thing people learn in 2NL zoom is that 3bets are for value, having 85% fold to 3bets is quite standard number. If he does it for value, that would explain at least partly giving up the hand post flop.

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
might be worth you recording a half hours normal play using something like obs and then posting a link to it .You will likely get far better feedback from us actually seeing you play than vaguely guessing off some stats as they won't show up a lot of leaks.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id aim for a higher bb/100 at 2nl first

Clearly you have mega issues in your game which need to be addressed still.
Just always be true to yourself and keep up the good work