Moving up the limits.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok this weekend was my first foray into $1-$2 and a little €2-€4 at pokerstars. I was initally very nervous about the whole thing and was wondering about the quality of play that i would be facing. I deposied €100 at stars just for this to see how i would get on.

Sat at a 6 player table initially €1-€2 with 80bucks, played very tight for the first few orbits and literally was astounded by the quality of play. There was 4 players to every flop raised or not. So i decided to wait for premium hands and play as hard as i could. ABC poker for about two hours, and moved my €80 to €210. I found the quality of play very poor (maybe it was just the table) and not far ahead of the micro-limit games.

Then i decided id have a go at €2-€4. Shorted handed table again, this time i brought €120. Now this was a different animal to the €1-€2 game, the quality of play was a lot better but the bloody deck went cold on me for a good 45 mins, here is the first hand i played that i won, and after this i spotted that these players actually respected raises and could tell if your hand was strong, i put in a few moves (not many) and left the table with €184. Overall i was happy with my play and the bankroll i have i should be playing €2-€4, but for the time being i think that ill be happy with the muppets at the€1-€2 games.

PokerStars Game #2815460606: Hold'em Limit ($2/$4) - 2005/10/16 - 02:27:54 (ET)
Table 'Sarpedon' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: tenbob ($82 in chips)
Seat 2: TONGRFF ($153 in chips)
Seat 3: CodeStah ($45 in chips)
Seat 4: YaletownJoe ($73 in chips)
Seat 5: Aces2005 ($32.50 in chips)
Seat 6: PRIVATEPILE ($95 in chips)
Aces2005: posts small blind $1
PRIVATEPILE: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to tenbob [9d Td]
tenbob: calls $2
TONGRFF: folds
CodeStah: folds
YaletownJoe: raises $2 to $4
TONGRFF leaves the table
Aces2005: folds
PRIVATEPILE: calls $2
tenbob: calls $2
*** FLOP *** [5d 9h 3d]
PRIVATEPILE: checks
tenbob: bets $2
YaletownJoe: calls $2
PRIVATEPILE: folds
*** TURN *** [5d 9h 3d] [Js]
tenbob: bets $4
YaletownJoe: raises $4 to $8
tenbob: calls $4
*** RIVER *** [5d 9h 3d Js] [4d]
1MaK joins the table at seat #2
tenbob: raises $4 to $12
YaletownJoe: folds
tenbob collected $47 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $49 | Rake $2
Board [5d 9h 3d Js 4d]
Seat 1: tenbob collected ($47)
Seat 2: TONGRFF folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: CodeStah folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: YaletownJoe (button) folded on the River
Seat 5: Aces2005 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: PRIVATEPILE (big blind) folded on the Flop

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spend a lot of day in chat with the other mods, and Grumbledook keeps us posted on his adventures on the rings. I also watched him play for a while on a 5/10 table and I just couldn't believe the way folks were just throwing money around and hoping to catch. A long time ago I wrote a post about people with more money than sense and it must be true a lot of the time. I played a little 1/2 over the weekend and nobody at the table respected a raise at all which made you wait for a premium hand and hope your callers didn't get the suckout...

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I logged on to Paradise half an hour before Pokerstars tourney on Friday, and won $80 on $1/2 table in just half hour. Was a 5 person table - 3 of the players called absolutely everything, and the other was only slightly more choosy. To give an example, I was first to act with A2 with rainbow Ace flop. I bet, hoping that the others would fold, knowing I would be on loser if one called. All 4 called! I checked down to river, and won hand! They had ALL called with Ace on board, without having an Ace themselves - How can you call with nothing, when FOUR people had already called i'll never know!!

I've had 2 more sessions on 1/2 5 player tables at Paradise without much success, but when you can hit dream table you can make a killing. There is nothing worse however than being in a mega-loose table and never getting a hand to attack with.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I posted a message on here a few months back about the difference in quality between $1/$2 and $2/$4

There is a big difference in the amount of hands people are willing to play. I find in anything loswer than $2/$4 players, especially the blinds, will call practically anything hoping to get lucky. So basically the luckiest player on the night walks away happy. In $2/$4 you tend to find only premium hands get played, with the obvious steal evey now and again.

I would never go below $2/$4 now and only play this limit if I am not playing too well or if the deck is cold on me

Well done on the gains though, its always nice to make the step up and start off well

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tenbob said:
*** RIVER *** [5d 9h 3d Js] 4♦
1MaK joins the table at seat #2
tenbob: raises $4 to $12
YaletownJoe: folds
looool, I wonder what he had?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dorkus Malorkus said:
looool, I wonder what he had?
Not sure but this guys had re-raised on the river several times prior to this and induced folds. He raised pre-flop so i figured him for a medium ace A9 ? Or a pocket pair or 67 ? (if he had that he would have called my re-raise). But for my first pot i was laughing my head off at the time.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well virtually every limit at every site online has loose players. Generally speaking, as you move up limits there are just fewer bad players. The main reason you find a lot of bad players at 1/2 online is because of the wager requirements most sites have on their comps or bonuses.

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking at some of the stats for Omaha on some sites, it looks like there are some pretty loose players on all of those tables - you can find tables at all stakes where well over 60% of players are seeing the flop, even at $10/$20 stakes... so I'm pretty sure that with the right table selection you can find a nice loose table to profit from...