Moving from 9-max to 6-max tables

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, i'm looking to move from 9-max to 6-max tables. I wanna do this cause i would be able to get more hands on a shorter period of time. I know there is a lot to learn about it and people are more aggressive at every point of the game.
What would you recommend for some open ranges, calling, 3-beting, calling 3-bets.. stuff like that.
Also if there is anyone who made this switch what difficulties have you had in this process?

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
these tables are unbeatable becauae of the rake... maybe if you choose very carefully table and find fishes on the table and force yourself to play mostly against fish you could find edge. Also Cbet a lot. GL

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
these tables are unbeatable becauae of the rake... maybe if you choose very carefully table and find fishes on the table and force yourself to play mostly against fish you could find edge. Also Cbet a lot. GL
Why is the rake more unbeatable in 6 max vs. full ring? Is it because you have to loosen up your opening range and play a higher percentage of hands? Would you say this applies to live games as well? Just trying to understand?

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends what level you jump to, from 10NL to 2NL you find the games easy. Start widening your 3bet range, probably adding more bluffs, 10% is good value, but 7% is enough to be better than almost anyone, but small changes at the time.

More aggression around means that even good players might call a bit wider, also there are hardly any post flop nits so CB without idea is not that optimal anymore.

Some players are aggressive, big over adjustment mistake most of us do is trying to be over aggressive because some others are. Still solid value lines is the way to go, and stepping up aggression is not really the key even though it might feel so time to time. Aggression is hard, so just build your aggression slowly with smart choices without massive hammering. Notice that with increased aggression there are slightly more situations where you can call profitable, but still 3barrel and big river bets are for value 92% of the time. Some do 3barrel AK atw though.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is the rake more unbeatable in 6 max vs. full ring? Is it because you have to loosen up your opening range and play a higher percentage of hands? Would you say this applies to live games as well? Just trying to understand?

He might mean that blinds are eating hero alive with too nitty style in 6max?!? Probably he does not know what he means though, on that I might be wrong (again).

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree that the rake is really bad on 6 max tables so you should have some extra benefit to playing them like rakeback or jackpot or something. You should learn how to play them and beat them to whatever your skill level is. In tournaments, the playing style evolves as the players dwindle and you will eventually have six people at your table. Selective aggression will work.

Slav4obaby

Slav4obaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6 max is more aggresive than 9 max tabling. My advice to you is to play more marginal hands but don't wind up married to the hand which many times will lead to getting divorced from your chips.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
every theory of poker applies to HU, so I started a study of the tournament phases starting in the HU, and was evolving to the beginning ... practicing ICM .... that way I went from 6max to 9max and always varying from one to another

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey. It's a great choice. Call to 3bet need more than 1/3 of the time. Add suited connectors (54s+) and pairs, if your stacks allow it. Expand your range on the button, just like in a heads-up game (66% - any non-trash hand). Often use light 3bet with suited cards, if your opponent folds 3bet very often.

nopainnogain

nopainnogain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6-max is better than 9 I think.the chances of winning increase.And the tourney generally is shorter.

M

MinorMisfit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6max is much more fun! You can play a wider range and win with more marginal hands.

I would open with just about any playable hand. 67s+ 22+ Fold to a 3 bet unless your really strong. AK+ JJ+

C-bet any flop with an Ace, or that you make a pair or draw. If they call and your weak but have show down value, then try and get a cheap show down from there. If your strong, just value bet every street.

If your betting, just go with a pot size bet every time.

That's the simple version, but that should get your pointed in the right direction!

Good luck out there and happy grinding!

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know, I know people like 6max because they want to play more, but the dead truth is that you have three fewer seats for fish to sit in! and, new players always wind up at 9 max tables because they are less aggressive. I would drop down at least 2 levels from where you win now to go to 6max. It can be almost dizzy-ing at first it seems so hyper aggressive compared to 9 max. pick some 6 max MTTs that only cost a few dollars, and practice there too. The comp. is way tougher, warning Will Robinson, warning! :)

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Rake is tougher, but more chances to win pots! As a tight player, 6 max is tougher for me.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rake is tougher, but more chances to win pots! As a tight player, 6 max is tougher for me.
You are right, im used to 9-max play and moving to 6-max is kind of brutal.. and does not seem fun at all :/ so might not make the move for good after all :D

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Higher you go the more 9max starts to play like 6 max, so there are some noteworthy advantages about learning 6 max with tiny bit added agression as early as you can.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I treat 6max like the first three positions always fold so the ranges start at the lojack ranges.

MKaizer07

MKaizer07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't have to change your hand range by that much. It is very key though to not play beyond your bankroll. Try playing at a smaller stake table so you won't be afraid to call or take risk. It will also allows you to call a river bet to see what your opponent has and that is for information. Also playing at 6 max gives you more experience with people who will try to bluff you in certain situations.

N

npat052

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
More aggression around means that even good players might call a bit wider, also there are hardly any post flop nits so CB without idea is not that optimal anymore.

Some players are aggressive, big over adjustment mistake most of us do is trying to be over aggressive because some others are. Still solid value lines is the way to go, and stepping up aggression is not really the key even though it might feel so time to time. Aggression is hard, so just build your aggression slowly with smart choices without massive hammering. Notice that with increased aggression there are slightly more situations where you can call profitable, but still 3barrel and big river bets are for value 92% of the time. Some do 3barrel AK atw though.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play 6max and 9max and make more profit on 6max.:):):)

D

Dsqtq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest reason to move from 9 to 6 is that we have more tables for play

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really enjoy 6-max. I think the removal of the EP seats makes for a much more action packed game. With that being said I also think the player lists tend to be tougher as there is higher variance and the opportunity to make more money. I just started working my way through The Grinders Manual by Peter Clarke and I'm really enjoying working my way through it. I highly recommend it as it lays down the foundation of 6 max that you can use as a spring board to the higher stakes!

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The book Ryan Fee "6 MAX NL Stategy Guide" helped me a lot when moving to 6-max.
Although it was a long time, but it still will not be superfluous. The book is not big and easy to read.