Hero bets 18 BB, BTN raises to 40 BB, Hero calls 22 BB

River : (104.5 BB, 2 players) Qd
Hero checks, BTN bets 69.9 BB, Hero calls 50.3 BB and is all-in

BTN shows 8h 9h (Straight, Ten High)
(Pre 23%, Flop 48%, Turn 100%)

Hero shows Ac Ad (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 77%, Flop 52%, Turn 0%)

BTN wins 195.9 BB

Should I fold turn raise or river? Obviously 89 beats me for the straight or any set.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I fold turn raise or river?

In my opinion, you should have folded already on turn. Reraise on turn on that kind of board implies that they have at least two pairs and that you are beat. This is based on only my own experience when I have been unable to fold Aces the same way as you and lost. And that has happened many times. Of course there might be times when they have a lower overpair in that situation but that's just the way it is, you can't really know.

It is so painful to fold Aces or any strong overpair but learn to do that. It hurts to click that fold button but that will really save you money in the long run. Do it and try not to think about it afterwards. I struggle with this same topic but almost every time that happens and I call, I end up losing and cursing myself for not being able to fold even though my intuition told me to do so.

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
considering the reraise on the turn it's a made hand not a draw most of the time, considering he's reraising it's a hand he's feeling strong with so the worst of his range is AT and up to all the sets and two pairs and straights, so facing that range you're AA isn't good 80-90% of the time. if deciding to call at least fold to a river bet there.
good luck

L

lionel85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you play in low table or for free money... if in your hand you have an AA try to throw everyone!

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to tell, but majority of the time when you get raised you're facing strong equity (For example 2 pair and higher)

If you have history of an aggressive opponent that plays draws or lower equity quicker then it's a easier call, but in most cases you are probably in bad condition vs the more common tighter players post flop.