Min,medium or max buy in

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play cash games, i usually go with min buy in 0.8$. Why? I know i limit my self if i get good hand to earn more money but it saved me few times with my bad judgment. If i had more money i would put and lose.:D

E

ev10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally it usually recommended to play with a full stack (ie 100bb), it increases your implied odds and makes a lot of hands more playable.

Although you can play whatever stack size you want and there are players who do extremely well short stacked, it just changes the way you need to play drastically. For beginners the standard 100bb stack is recommended as most study material will relate to that stack size. But if you do choose a smaller size stick with just one size so you can learn it fully.

Hope that answered your question.

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally it usually recommended to play with a full stack (ie 100bb), it increases your implied odds and makes a lot of hands more playable.

Although you can play whatever stack size you want and there are players who do extremely well short stacked, it just changes the way you need to play drastically. For beginners the standard 100bb stack is recommended as most study material will relate to that stack size. But if you do choose a smaller size stick with just one size so you can learn it fully.

Hope that answered your question.

I understand that but my bankroll is not high enough atm and that's why I play min but in.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The small stack strategy (20 BB) is better for beginners because the early all-in means that the player does not face difficult decisions in the big pot on the turn or river.
On poker rooms this strategy will not work.
You can play either by the strategy of medium MSS (40bb) or large stacks BSS (100bb).
MSS is beneficial if you play 9 max, for 6 max BSS is better suited.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you play cash games, i usually go with min buy in 0.8$. Why? I know i limit my self if i get good hand to earn more money but it saved me few times with my bad judgment. If i had more money i would put and lose.:D

I would suggest buying in at the table max as it does a couple things. It allows you to win more money when you have a good hand and can get all your chips in, specially if you are the effective stack. Second it allows you to play more hands. What I mean by this is that you should only be playing multi-way pots with speculative type hands (suited A's, suited connectors, small pair) for less than 5% of the effective stack size. If you buy in for a small amount, then most times you will not be able to make these calls profitably as they are more than 5% of the effective stack size (which would normally be your stack size). The goal of these types of hands is to invest very little with the chance to win a large pot multi-way (ie flopping sets, straights, flushes etc. and only continuing with two pair or better or a draw of 8 eights or more).

Example would be a live $1/$2 game. UTG raise to $10, MP calls, you are in CO with pair of 4's, the effective stack size would need to be $200 for you to call this hand speculatively based on the 5% rule. If you buy in for less, then you should not make this call if you can not win $200.

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest buying in at the table max as it does a couple things. It allows you to win more money when you have a good hand and can get all your chips in, specially if you are the effective stack. Second it allows you to play more hands. What I mean by this is that you should only be playing multi-way pots with speculative type hands (suited A's, suited connectors, small pair) for less than 5% of the effective stack size. If you buy in for a small amount, then most times you will not be able to make these calls profitably as they are more than 5% of the effective stack size (which would normally be your stack size). The goal of these types of hands is to invest very little with the chance to win a large pot multi-way (ie flopping sets, straights, flushes etc. and only continuing with two pair or better or a draw of 8 eights or more).

Example would be a live $1/$2 game. UTG raise to $10, MP calls, you are in CO with pair of 4's, the effective stack size would need to be $200 for you to call this hand speculatively based on the 5% rule. If you buy in for less, then you should not make this call if you can not win $200.
You have a solid point, after reading the twice i understand it. Problem is, i am on my limit for this month deposit, i have only ~10e bankroll, happened few times that i got pocket AA Kk QQ and lost it in 10 hands with all in pre flop. So i am cautious a bit.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not have certain tactics, it all depends on the mood, sometimes I play with the full. sometimes I go in with minimal buy-in.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you will need to open least (strongest range for position) with a 100 bb + stack than with less so if you need to play a tighter stronger range play 100bb and weigh the range to far few off suit broadways and no weak os aces including ATo or KQo early. only opening A8o and KJo until Later positions similarly with suited 9s such asQ9s J9s.Co and button open widely.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't feel confident with post flop play, playing short stack is very acceptable. Short stack playing is much easier. Play only premium hands and you will be good.

When you find that you are among the best players on the table you should buy-in deep, because that raises your profit per hour significantly. You can play more hands and you have more chances to outplay them after the flop. But it works only if you are much better than your opponents. If not, stick to short stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play for fun, then just do, whatever you want, and realistically buying in short might help you win more or lose less. And it can also help streatch the budget, if its really limited, as might be the case here.

However if your goal is to eventually play for profit, then 2NL, 5NL and even to some extend 10NL is only for practice. So rather than focusing on, how high or low a winrate you have right now, you want to focus on enhancing your learning. And the way to do that is to always buy in for the maximum.

Yes it will be painfull, when your overpair gets stacked for a full 100BB buyin by a set, but its a lot cheaper to endure that pain now at 2NL or 5NL rather than later at 25NL or 50NL :)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that bankroll management is an integral part of the game for any disciplined player. If you stick to your own limits, then in the long run, you will always be able to get a predictable and stable profit.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! After reading this thread I learned a lot of useful things for myself, but if your bankroll is $ 10, then it's better for me not to go for the cash, it's better to play in the tournament. Sincerely Sergey