Micro stakes strategy. Oxymoron?

CerberAcE

CerberAcE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my limited 5NL experience it seems slightly tighter than 2NL.

In 2NL you have some idiots with 64/10 stats that want to see every flop..vs these guys im more inclined to limp along (knowing that they will all call regardless). Raises and cbets just arent always profitable vs these donks with small pp or scs.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You still get those same idiots at 5NL all the time, and they start to trail off a little into 10NL, but they are still there.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You kind of have to figure out who at your table knows what he's doing and who doesn't. It usually doesn't take long to figure out.

I just had a guy call my 4xbb raise with 63 offsuit. And you know what? He spikes a triplet of 3s on the flop. But he kept checking, and he only called my 25c raise on the turn (with AK on a QQ33 board). So I only lost 45c there.

Against a guy like that, you'll need to forget about bluffing or semibluffing and jam it when you have a reasonably solid hand.

THe Slob

THe Slob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost my job and had to take out almost all of my money from tilt and stars; now forced to play micro and trying to grind out a BR. Yea there's a lot of buffoons out there making completely insane plays, but you occasionally run into some good players at that level as well.

PF if you've got a good starting hand - raise the hell out of it.

I have noticed that if you fold too much, sometimes even the fish notice when you come in for a raise and get out of your way. Of course I've folded for 3 rounds, come in for a raise with a big PP and gotten called by 4 players as well.

Ramblin' reply - I know I had a point to make when I started - maybe I'll think of it later.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After doing only Sng and Mtt for a while,I have been studying a lot and trying to improve my cash game. I feel like I have a better grip on game strategy, I am paying attention to position, calling/betting/raising range, and feel ok about the way I am playing. I understand variance, but I am wondering if you just need the best hand or fold on these tables. In maybe 20 hands I saw 2 way all in 3 way all in and 4 way all in with hands like 79 s, KJos, Atos. OK, not all of em, some were JJ or KK or AA but lots of impossible PF all in hands. My raises were getting re raises that were then getting re-raised again that made it hard for me to stay in...... I havent been on cash games so much maybe I just forgot how it is.... I am on the micro stakes. Is it just an all in frenzy, or did I have bad table selection (watched 4 tables, happening on all of em)

OK I didnt post a question here so here is one...
Is Micro stake strategy: wait till you can afford to see the flop with a good hand, and take advantage of flopping the winner and then take the money and otherwise fold???? Of gambling with the rest of em.....?

What stakes was this at?

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost my job and had to take out almost all of my money from tilt and stars; now forced to play micro and trying to grind out a BR. Yea there's a lot of buffoons out there making completely insane plays, but you occasionally run into some good players at that level as well.

PF if you've got a good starting hand - raise the hell out of it.

I have noticed that if you fold too much, sometimes even the fish notice when you come in for a raise and get out of your way. Of course I've folded for 3 rounds, come in for a raise with a big PP and gotten called by 4 players as well.

Ramblin' reply - I know I had a point to make when I started - maybe I'll think of it later.

Yes u cannot be that tight even at microstakes.
But the big problem is not preflop. Problem is after the flop where sometimes donks follow u untill the river. and make streights or 3 of kind with 2,3,4,5. U have to raise like hell when u have the best hand after the flop cose if they have a chance of streight they will follow if u raise like 1/3 pot or half of the pot. That is the problem at microstakes. They follow draws untill the rive a lot of times.

shrimp29

shrimp29

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wont enter a game where the table leader is more than one and a half the max entry. these people have usually been at the table some time and have the cards going for them...play tight and dont tilt on bad beats.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wont enter a game where the table leader is more than one and a half the max entry. these people have usually been at the table some time and have the cards going for them...play tight and dont tilt on bad beats.
I wouldn't necessarily take that into maximum consideration. There have been times where I have found tables where the biggest fish in my database has even up to a 3x max buy-in stack because he either got lucky or found someone who was an even bigger fish. In those cases I will absolutely sit down with them because then I have that entire stack to win. Also, there have been many times when I have seen someone sit down at the table and 5 minutes later they have double their stack because of one of two good hands. When you're starting out and don't have any history on players, then you might want to keep this in the back of your head, but I wouldn't revolve my game around it.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play uber tight, wait till you have a very good hand and make them pay, they will. dont bluff, dont limp in too much, unless you have maybe a small pair and you want to catch a set. people dont give a crap if they have 7 9, for 2 cent they will see a flop and times will come when they are going to bust you, happens crap loads of times so you might as well get used to it :p
Meh playing tight is kind of debatable. I was crushing 2nl and my stats I think were 35/10. Lower stakes are more passive preflop so u can limp in with more mediocre hands, hit hard, and get paid off.

Don't be afraid to cbet also.

P

playerk7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people play like idiots low stakes dont take preflop reraises serious down thier assume you jj kk aa is good and play them the same way you would as normal