Micro Stakes Starting Hand Selection

C

Carol_W

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, so I have been playing the micro stakes for a few month now and am running at roughly 5bb/100 over 21000 hands at 02/04nl.

Not a very big sample I know but I think I am on the right path but just need to make a few adjustments to my starting hand range and obviously how I play them.

I tend to play ABC poker in general and play TAG, value bet hard when I have the cards to do so and only really ever semi bluff when chasing a straight draw or flush draw, or when I raise pre flop in position and c-bet even though I have missed the flop.

I was running Poker Trackers free 30 day trial but had to remove Norton to install it and ended up with a virus so had to restore my laptop back to factory settings as it was going really slow.

So starting with my pre flop starting hands. I did post this in the brags, beats and variance section but didn't get too much feedback so thought I would post it in here also. I have made a few alterations though after speeking to a few people, so here it goes.

UTG

I always raise 4bb here as I am OOP, I initially kept it really tight but have added a few extra hands as I do not want to be too predictable.

AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88, 77, 66, 55, 44, 33, 22, AKs, AQs, KQs, AJs, AK, AQ.

I never used to play middle to low pockets from UTG, or if I did I would just open limp which I know is bad, so that is something I never do anymore. Due to my table image of being a tight player and only really playing premium hands from UTG by raising say 22-99 I am looking initially to hit a set. If I do I c-bet hard, no slowplaying and letting the villian hit a flush or straight. If I miss I will still c-bet anyway and if called I will usually check from then on and hope to get a few free cards and maybe hit the set on the turn or the river.

MP

Now I raise the standard 3bb here with all of the above plus - ATs, KJs, KTs, QTs, JTs, KQ.

CO

Now I start to open up a little bit more with suited aces and suited connectors as they can have good implied odds from this position.

So again a standard 3bb raise with all of the above plus - A9s, K9s, T9s, A8s, Q9s, J9s, AJ, A5s, A7s, KJ, A4s, A3s.

BTN

Now I open up a lot and if folded around to me I will raise with most suited connectors, most suited one gappers, all suited Aces and a few suited Kings and Queens.

3bb raise with all of the above plus - All suited Aces, all suited connectors, all suited one gappers, any two broadway, KT, QT, JT.

BLINDS

I tend to play super tight from the blinds and only raise the same hands as I would raise with UTG. If some one from the CO or the BTN raises and I am in the blinds with any of my UTG range I will mainly 3bet as it will probably be a steal attempt. But majority of the time even if I think they are stealing and I am sat with say KQ offsuite I will just fold as I am OOP.

So there it is, any advice would be much appreciated as I am hoping to gradually improve my WR at these micro stakes and maintain 10bb/100 over say 50k hands and then I think I will be ready to move up to 5/10nl.

Forgot to add my hand ranges from MP, CO and BTN if facing a PFR I will just fold, but if I am in the any of them positions with the best of my UTG hand range I will usually 3bet. So QQ+, AK+. I will also probably call a raise of up to 3bb with middle to low pockets and look to set mine.

I also include a 3bet bluff range when facing a PFR from EP when I am in the CO or BTN. So I might 3bet suited connectors for the implied odds as I am in position and will have a rough idea if villian hit the flop or not, unless of course he has the nuts like AA, KK etc. I will also raise blocking hands like K2s-K6s, Q2s-Q6s. So if villian is raising PF with say AK, AQ I will always hold either one of the possible 3 Kings or Queens therfor minimising his chance of hitting a pair or whaetver. And if there is no Ace-Queen on the flop I have a good idea that he has missed.

Anyway please let me know what you think as am really wanting to perfect my micro stakes play and gradually improve my game so I can hold my own at the lower stakes like 25/50 etc.

Cheers :)

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forget about Norton and get Microsoft Security Essentials for free. Norton is pretty much for Grandparents that have no idea how to use a PC.

"UTG

I always raise 4bb here as I am OOP, I initially kept it really tight but have added a few extra hands as I do not want to be too predictable."

This is 100% something you do not need to worry about at the micros.

On a final note, you went through a lot of work typing all this out but honestly no one is going to tell you anything about opening hand selection that has not been blasted all over google and youtube already. Just do some research.

knileh

knileh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell me something...have you identified your leaks yet? If not find them and post them, give us something to work with. Each player develops his own style then adapts. Identify where/who you have a hard time adapting/adapting to and we can give you helpful insight from there.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I dont see the point raising all suited cons and suited one gappers on the button, you will end up making a lot of marginal/non nut hands.

REALITYPOKER

REALITYPOKER

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you playing 6max or 9max? I am going to send you a PM as well so check that.

6max ranges:

UTG (9.35%)
55+, ATs+, KQs, AJo+, KQo

MP (14.63%)
22+, ATs+, KJs+, QJs, JTs, ATo+, KJo+, QJo

CO (20.97%)
22+, A6s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, A9o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo

BU (34.54%)
22+, A2s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, 65s, 54s, A2o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo, T9o, 98o, 87o, 76o

SB = CO Range

BB = BU Range

My 3-bet range is value-oriented at 10NL and 5NL and depends upon my position, what position the original opener is in, as well as the original opener’s stats. For the most part here is what it looks like:

3-Bet Range
JJ+, AQ+ (I will sometimes limp with JJ, QQ, AQ, and AKo depending upon villain)

9max simplified:
9MAX RANGES:

Early position (UTG-UTG+1): Raise {AJs+, AQo+, TT+}, limp {22-99}
Middle position (MP1-MP3): Raise {ATs+, AJo+, KQs+, 66+}, limp {22-55}
Late position (CO-SB): Raise {most aces, most broadway, suited connectors, some offsuit connectors 22+}

RE-EVALUATE OOP 3B VS OPPONENTS!!!!
DON'T CALL 3B OOP POSITION IF YOUR INTENTION IS TO FOLD TO A FLOP CBET!!!

Last edited:
starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"So again a standard 3bb raise with all of the above plus - A9s, K9s, T9s, A8s, Q9s, J9s, AJ, A5s, A7s, KJ, A4s, A3s."

I dont really see the logic here. If you are raising A5s,A3s and A9s why not just Axs?

C

Carol_W

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I dont see the point raising all suited cons and suited one gappers on the button, you will end up making a lot of marginal/non nut hands.

Forgot to add that I only do this if it is folded round to me and my intention is to steal the blinds.

The fact that they are suited and either connectors or one gappers gives me something to fall back on if they do call, as I may have 4 to straight or flush or maybe although rarely hit 2 pair.

But tbh 8 times out of 10 they will be folding if they are tight players.

C

Carol_W

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you playing 6max or 9max? I am going to send you a PM as well so check that.

6max ranges:

UTG (9.35%)

MP (14.63%)

CO (20.97%)

BU (34.54%)
22+, A2s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, 65s, 54s, A2o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo, T9o, 98o, 87o, 76o

SB = CO Range

BB = BU Range

My 3-bet range is value-oriented at 10NL and 5NL and depends upon my position, what position the original opener is in, as well as the original opener’s stats. For the most part here is what it looks like:

3-Bet Range
JJ+, AQ+ (I will sometimes limp with JJ, QQ, AQ, and AKo depending upon villain)

9max simplified:
9MAX RANGES:

Early position (UTG-UTG+1): Raise {AJs+, AQo+, TT+}, limp {22-99}
Middle position (MP1-MP3): Raise {ATs+, AJo+, KQs+, 66+}, limp {22-55}
Late position (CO-SB): Raise {most aces, most broadway, suited connectors, some offsuit connectors 22+}

RE-EVALUATE OOP 3B VS OPPONENTS!!!!
DON'T CALL 3B OOP POSITION IF YOUR INTENTION IS TO FOLD TO A FLOP CBET!!!

Thanks for the reply and sorry 6 max.

Replying to PM now :)

C

Carol_W

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell me something...have you identified your leaks yet? If not find them and post them, give us something to work with. Each player develops his own style then adapts. Identify where/who you have a hard time adapting/adapting to and we can give you helpful insight from there.

No this is something I have not done yet.

The reason I wanted to sort out my starting hand selection is so that I can re install Poker Tracker and after so many hands look at what hands are loosing me money, and if it is the position I am playing them in that is loosing the money or how I am playing them.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Micros are really interesting and it depends what your goal is. My goal is to be a better poker player and therefore treat the micros with lots of callings stations like very loose games and play tight and fast. Otherwise you will learn bad habits that will hurt you letter on.

S

seventhcereal

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really surprised that works even at 2NL. You run the risk of getting reraised off a lot of hands and I'm surprised you haven't run into reverse implied odds when you do hit.

OK, so I have been playing the micro stakes for a few month now and am running at roughly 5bb/100 over 21000 hands at 02/04nl.

Not a very big sample I know but I think I am on the right path but just need to make a few adjustments to my starting hand range and obviously how I play them.

I tend to play ABC poker in general and play TAG, value bet hard when I have the cards to do so and only really ever semi bluff when chasing a straight draw or flush draw, or when I raise pre flop in position and c-bet even though I have missed the flop.

I was running Poker Trackers free 30 day trial but had to remove Norton to install it and ended up with a virus so had to restore my laptop back to factory settings as it was going really slow.

So starting with my pre flop starting hands. I did post this in the brags, beats and variance section but didn't get too much feedback so thought I would post it in here also. I have made a few alterations though after speeking to a few people, so here it goes.

UTG

I always raise 4bb here as I am OOP, I initially kept it really tight but have added a few extra hands as I do not want to be too predictable.

AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88, 77, 66, 55, 44, 33, 22, AKs, AQs, KQs, AJs, AK, AQ.

I never used to play middle to low pockets from UTG, or if I did I would just open limp which I know is bad, so that is something I never do anymore. Due to my table image of being a tight player and only really playing premium hands from UTG by raising say 22-99 I am looking initially to hit a set. If I do I c-bet hard, no slowplaying and letting the villian hit a flush or straight. If I miss I will still c-bet anyway and if called I will usually check from then on and hope to get a few free cards and maybe hit the set on the turn or the river.

MP

Now I raise the standard 3bb here with all of the above plus - ATs, KJs, KTs, QTs, JTs, KQ.

CO

Now I start to open up a little bit more with suited aces and suited connectors as they can have good implied odds from this position.

So again a standard 3bb raise with all of the above plus - A9s, K9s, T9s, A8s, Q9s, J9s, AJ, A5s, A7s, KJ, A4s, A3s.

BTN

Now I open up a lot and if folded around to me I will raise with most suited connectors, most suited one gappers, all suited Aces and a few suited Kings and Queens.

3bb raise with all of the above plus - All suited Aces, all suited connectors, all suited one gappers, any two broadway, KT, QT, JT.

BLINDS

I tend to play super tight from the blinds and only raise the same hands as I would raise with UTG. If some one from the CO or the BTN raises and I am in the blinds with any of my UTG range I will mainly 3bet as it will probably be a steal attempt. But majority of the time even if I think they are stealing and I am sat with say KQ offsuite I will just fold as I am OOP.

So there it is, any advice would be much appreciated as I am hoping to gradually improve my WR at these micro stakes and maintain 10bb/100 over say 50k hands and then I think I will be ready to move up to 5/10nl.

Forgot to add my hand ranges from MP, CO and BTN if facing a PFR I will just fold, but if I am in the any of them positions with the best of my UTG hand range I will usually 3bet. So QQ+, AK+. I will also probably call a raise of up to 3bb with middle to low pockets and look to set mine.

I also include a 3bet bluff range when facing a PFR from EP when I am in the CO or BTN. So I might 3bet suited connectors for the implied odds as I am in position and will have a rough idea if villian hit the flop or not, unless of course he has the nuts like AA, KK etc. I will also raise blocking hands like K2s-K6s, Q2s-Q6s. So if villian is raising PF with say AK, AQ I will always hold either one of the possible 3 Kings or Queens therfor minimising his chance of hitting a pair or whaetver. And if there is no Ace-Queen on the flop I have a good idea that he has missed.

Anyway please let me know what you think as am really wanting to perfect my micro stakes play and gradually improve my game so I can hold my own at the lower stakes like 25/50 etc.

Cheers :)

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

6max ranges:

UTG (9.35%)

MP (14.63%)

CO (20.97%)

BU (34.54%)

SB = CO Range

BB = BU Range

3-Bet Range

This is way too tight for 6 max.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is way too tight for 6 max.
+100

If you've ever seen my posts on hand ranges and preflop charts I don't approve in general, but I understand people need a framework to start from.

You really should be around something like:
UTG (12-13%)
MP (17-19%)
CO (~25%)
Btn (38%+)

Also I wouldn't suggest playing your SB/BB with CO/Btn ranges either. I think you're going to be playing way too much crap out of the blinds with that type of range and you're gonna bleed out. I'd stick to a much tighter range in those two seats. You're going to have to figure out what you're good with, but I'd much rather see you playing too tight in that spot than too loose.

Last edited:
D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Janda's book has some stuff on starting hand selection that's pretty decent. The idea is not to blindly follow some chart but to ask yourself why certain hands are better off being included/excluded in whatever range being looked at. I advocate that players always try to construct their own ranges by position (at least once) for that reason even though there's a lot of stuff out there online that covers this topic.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands