Micro-Stakes Advice (Newbie)

tealogic

tealogic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best way to play at microstakes? Should I just be playing tight and aggressive? I'm starting at the lowest stakes but I am willing to do whatever it takes and spend as much time as it takes to improve. I'm currently reading "The Mathematics of Poker" by Bill Chen. Any advice would be deeply appreciated. :D

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played 250k hands at 0.01/0.02 zoom so I think I can give you some advice.

Tight aggressive is defenitely the best way at micro's. People at these stakes love to call to draw out on you and they love to bluff. So you can read a lot of books from pro's but they are not meant for micro's. There are some guys out there who give good advice for micro's. My preferences are with BodoPoker and Blackrain79, although I disagree with some things they say.
You can also use poker software with some sites that will keep track of their actions. These poker software cost money, but there are a lot of different ones that will give you a 30-day trial. So you can keep using a different one every month which will make it free for like 6 months. So don't download and install them all at the same time. One every month. You got pokertracker, drivehud, holdem manager, starshelper with hand2note and so forth.
Bill Chen's book is the best one on math, but it's extremely advanced and difficult. I have made a notepad file and put all the formulas and math in there, but I know them by heart now. I suggest you put formulas in a file too. There are about 15 different ones that I use so that makes it easy. Also start learning the outs by heart. Learn a few every day, repeat them multiple times a day and after two weeks you'll quickly see the benefits for little effort. Good luck.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and yes.

"Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky and "Crushing The Microstakes" by Nathan Williams are the only two books you really need at the micros. There is other material that can be visited once you master the basics covered in these two.

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best way to play at microstakes? Should I just be playing tight and aggressive? I'm starting at the lowest stakes but I am willing to do whatever it takes and spend as much time as it takes to improve. I'm currently reading "The Mathematics of Poker" by Bill Chen. Any advice would be deeply appreciated. :D

"Tight and Aggressive" is a good basic strategy for almost all stakes. Develop good starting hand ranges by position, stick to them, never limp first in and profit.

P

polarized

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"tag" is usually a style that works for most people. i would start by watching some twitch streamers and try to emulate the things that they show on stream. its a good place to learn about other pros thought processes.

N

Needleburst3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know what Site you play on but I usually play tight aggressive and one of the things I like to do is make notes on different players on the table so I know if I can get away with some bluffs here and there, which will help me when I get my big hands.

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can play any style at the micros in reason and get away with it I think first of all assign solid guidelines for preflop raising and preflop calling ranges this is where my biggest leaks were when I started playing always bet your strong hands and if against a noticeably weak player (limping a lot min raising ep min 3betting or even a short stack ) treat top pair as the nuts unless they check raise on scary boards

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The number of people is essential

When the turn has come, it's the good plan which is most that how many people are on the table including yourself that vanity is considered.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a player that has had a lot of success at the micro stakes along with BBennie. I also feel I can speak on this. BBennie is correct with everything he said, and the advanced training videos arent as effective at the micro stakes....

Something that is lacking in the poker community in general, I feel, is a curriculum designed to take you from learning the super micro's to super high roller play. Even though I'm not a super high roller myself, I am confident I can compete in the 1/2-2/5 cash NLH, and everything from the $50-$1200 MTTs. With the equating out in online play anywhere from 2-50NLH, and freerolls-15 MTTs....

With my exsperinces I will give a few pointers here....

1) dont mess with GTO at the lower limits. It really doesnt work. Instead focus on soild fundamentals, and learn how to exsploit player types. While forcing yourself to pay attention to each table enough to get player tendancies from villians.

If you're playing at a table where no one knows GTO. GTO is useless, because GTO is designed to be used against players that also use it. The general understand of the game today is actually pretty simple....

You either play "standard" or you play "exsploitive". In general, without any infomation you should be playing standard. Because having a soild standard game, with fundamental backing. You should not be exploitable. Then when you realize the villians playing type, you then can get out of line to exsploit them. While keeping in mind. When you get out of line, you then become exploitable yourself....

If you have any questions about that. Feel free to message me, I'll do my best to explain in better detail.

2) never OPEN LIMP PREFLOP, and stick to your ranges! If your not comfertable playing a multiway limped pot with a T9o on the BTN, cause you know you should hit the pot button and raise. Then dont. It's better to be safe then sorry. This is exsactly why every exsperinced player that offers free content on the internet publishes thier ranges as very tight. Cause they know a lot of players that take this free content are not the strongest post flop players. With that said that leads to 3....

3) get very comfertable post flop, really dig in. Understand things like fold equity (even though you wont have much in the micros), post flop fundamentals (when to CBet, when not to), and planning ahead to later streets (for example, betting small on the flop, and betting about 60-75% pot on the turn regardless of then turn card, because over 3/4 of the deck to come on the turn is a scare card, and you block the draws)....

The only way you can do this is by studying. Find a group of players that get together once a week over Skype and review hands. I personally dont run a group anymore, but I do have friends that do if your interested in finding 1.

And lastly....

4) stop being resualts oriented, and stick to bankroll management. The more you start to understand the game, the better you get. The more likely you will get sucked out on. Even though you stacked 6 Villians in the exsact same spot. You're always gonna remeber those 2 that hit thier boat on the river. You can never let those 2 times effect your win rate EVER! cause if you do. You will only be mediocre at best.

Like I said, if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. I would love to help build your game.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Tight and Aggressive" is a good basic strategy for almost all stakes. Develop good starting hand ranges by position, stick to them, never limp first in and profit.

Definitely agree. In micro stakes, you get a lot of calling stations that will not fold to any bet. Best is to play premium hands and protect them.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1> Play tight
2> Play mostly in Position
3> Play straight forward
value bet >>>> sneaky lines
4> value value value
5> Don’t worry about balance // GTO

M

moonshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1> Play tight
2> Play mostly in Position
3> Play straight forward
value bet >>>> sneaky lines
4> value value value
5> Don’t worry about balance // GTO

this is the winner right here. dont get in a rush to make money, learn to play right and the results will come. Keep it simple.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Study, Game Selection well, Play Patiently, Put in the Volume

As for learning, that book you have is fantastic, and if you need any easier to digest content my youtube channel and website are great wealths of knowledge which are available free!

Good luck & Happy stackin friend! :alien: