Medium pairs, minibet on the flop; Fold or Call?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a policy of when getting into a hand with pairs, medium to low, if I miss the flop, I'm out of there unless I have reads that tell me otherwise.

My poker buddy pointed this hand out to me; the person in position minibet the flop after it was checked around to him. My buddy says he might have called this as the bettor might have nothing.

Do you call this, or get out to any bets? What if I were the one in position; should I be taking a stab at the pot if it's checked around to me?

pokerstars Game #8189888434: Tournament #41780821, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2007/01/29 - 23:06:31 (ET)
Table '41780821 2' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Erica104 (3250 in chips)
Seat 2: ODEE9 (2175 in chips)
Seat 3: snaker2520 (990 in chips)
Seat 4: jtzig1 (1905 in chips)
Seat 5: Roe2269 (8095 in chips)
Seat 6: YllowLdBettr (1140 in chips)
Seat 7: leafs fan67 (4275 in chips)
Seat 8: Ninelions (2060 in chips)
Seat 9: tiptoes (3110 in chips)
Roe2269: posts small blind 25
YllowLdBettr: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Ninelions [7h 7c]
leafs fan67: folds
Ninelions: calls 50
tiptoes: folds
Erica104: folds
ODEE9: calls 50
snaker2520: folds
jtzig1: folds
Roe2269: folds
YllowLdBettr: checks
*** FLOP *** [Qd 6s 4h]
YllowLdBettr: checks
Ninelions: checks
ODEE9: bets 50
YllowLdBettr: folds
Ninelions: folds
ODEE9 collected 175 from pot

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id open betting into it.

Only 3 players, good chance none have queen. With 1st check its only down 2 one player most probably.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly wouldn't give up a pocket pair of 7s this easy to a mini bet here. The turn might give you a set and you have a backdoor straight draw. I would consider reraising here. Chance are villan doesn't have a queen or a high pocket pair. Let's find out. If he calls or raises you have more information to make a decision. You will see alot of people mini-raise after the flop in a cheap steal attempt. I would certainly at least call.

Why didn't you raise preflop. Chances are 7s are the best hand and if called you will have a better idea of where you stand. You also will be able to take down the pot more often betting the flop if you bet pre-flop.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check raise a minibet, check/fold a more moderate bet.

if raised preflop i check call here too usually.

depends a lot on reads tho.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why didn't you raise preflop. Chances are 7s are the best hand and if called you will have a better idea of where you stand. You also will be able to take down the pot more often betting the flop if you bet pre-flop.

In my opinion a preflop raise with 7-7 in that position would get less info than a limp. Most decent hands there would probably call a small raise the same as calling the BB.

If you raise here and someone re-raises you then you are probably beat. If you limp and someone raises then they might only have KQ, AJ, KJ...who knows. I like to see what they do on the flop and if they are betting the 1 overcard or making a weak stab like here.

Late position would be an ok raise if there was only a couple of limpers but you never know whats going to happen and having to fold to a reraise preflop can really put you on tilt.

M

mikeyaces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ya i would agree with whats been said before. id prob preflop raise with that hand and after the flop i would check/call too. very good chance someone doesnt have the queen plus you did have enought chips that in case you did make a mistake it wouldnt hurt u too much to see the turn and/or river.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have raised to see what the other players actions might have been. Like it has been said before, the chances are slim that someone is holding a Queen considering the min raise.

R

Ryan130

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have made a decent preflop raise and ruled out the possibility of someone playing a picture card w/ a crap kicker. would have limited the chances of someone haveing a Q.

Folding in Poker