Mastering a table...Your opinion?

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read once that you really shouldn't play in a higher stakes table until you've "mastered" the one your currently in.

I'm primarily a cash game poker player who's mainly comfortable at the $0.05/$0.10 small blind big blind tables. By comfortable I mean, I was comfortable at losing at these tables LOL!

I remember having a winning streak once and thought, "I think I'm ready for $0.50/$1 tables. I threw $200 dollars into those tables and it was like throwing chum into the sea. Those sharks ate it up! I lost that $200 within a week!:eek: $0.50/$1 sharks are different than $0.05/$0.10 sharks. That's when I began to understand the first sentence of this post.

The point is...I don't know if this is another winning streak or if I'm starting to play better. I've critiqued my skills, altered a few methods and now I'm seeing gains everyday at the $0.05/$0.10 tables.

My question is...how do you know when you've mastered it? How do you know your ready for higher stakes?

Threshold2122

Threshold2122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it's when you feel comfortable

After you have had good success at the level your at maybe try taking a set amount of money (you are prepared to lose) to test the waters so to say

You can then try and gage whether you feel comfortable playing at that level

Good luck out there

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's hard to judge.
When I play cash games and lose or win, in certain blinds, I have to know if the reason was because played bad, good or just had luck or bad luck. Most of the times when I loose, it's because I played bad.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
My question for you is, why don't you settle for daily earnings, as you say? They will be small but they are also winnings and in addition to that you have the joy of the game. To answer your question is difficult because you did not specify whether the games with higher stakes have the same style of play or the fear of not losing money and play more closely, for example .. however my advice is to you play where you have the best results!