Making a comeback after self exclusion

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About 6 months ago I had the worst run on line poker, was within a few hours the death switch was turn on, playing 50/100NL
My flush? You lose to straight flush.
Flop set of aces vs Kings, not good lose to quad KK,
KK vs AK flop set of kings not good lose to aces full. Thats right runner runner A on turn and river.
There were about 5 or so other hands just like this. Just insane. Needless to say i was disgusted beyond all recognition. I put myself on self exclusion and said i would talk to the fam on here first before doing anything. party poker is now in PA was going to give that a shot, no more poker stars for me.I haven't watched or read anything poker related. Any advice coming back to the game??? Funny too i purchased a beautiful laptop for online poker and its been collecting dust…My bank roll management skills have improved but its my emotions at the table that I need to work on, all advice comments welcome thx everyone.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all I would start quite a bit lower than 100NL, since at this limit the competition is already very hard, and its easy to lose tousinds of dollars in relatively short time. Depending on your budget maybe a reasonable strategy can be to deposit 500$ and then start at 10NL, if you cant be bothered with stakes even lower than that.

Also spend some time working with the variance calculator at Pokerdope.com to get a better understanding off, what you realistically need to expect. Maybe that "worst run", which caused you to quit, was just something completely normal, that happen to all poker players sooner or later. And then you obviously need to be able to deal with it without going on tilt or busting your bankroll.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to be honest it sounds like you're in for more of the same. High spikes of emotional play. The site doesn't matter or effect your overall strategy, saying stuff like "Party poker is now in PA was going to give that a shot, no more poker stars for me" show's you're still blaming the RNG for your results.

[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]I would recommend taking some time to work on your mental state with books like The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler or something similar as well as working on your strategy before coming back to the game in any real volume while playing for any real sums of money.

Fundiver199 also has good advice with dropping down to something like 10NL to work on your game, even if it doesn't seem like significant money to you it's better to win a little instead of losing a lot while learning and you'll naturally find the stakes you're most competitive at as you move up as well as receive the ego boost that comes with it
[/FONT]

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was a very good decision that you made. I took one like it a few years ago and retired for 1 year from Poker. It helped me a lot, you want some advice, here you go, do not blame a platform, you need to be aware that you have to take breaks and load new energy, when you play badly believe me, on any platform you do badly. Two, when a hand goes bad because there will always be bad hands, do not bring the past to the present, that can affect you a lot, and finally, if you find that you start to play bad again, take a break, face it, and realize that maybe you need a little more time without Poker. Regards and I wish you the best.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop set of aces vs Kings, not good lose to quad KK,
KK vs AK flop set of kings not good lose to aces full. Thats right runner runner A on turn and river.

Just want to point out, that while you were unlucky with the turn and river card in these hands, you were equally lucky with the distribution of hole cards preflop, and in the KK vs. AK hand with the dealing of the flop, assuming you were not all-in preflop. This is something, people often overlook, when they get into this victim mentality of telling themselfes, they are unreasonably unlucky.

But we need to always look at it from the other side as well. Would you rather be the player with AK on KXX flop and get the money in only to see your opponent flip over top set having you drawing nearly dead? That also sucks right? So you were no more "entitled" to win that hand, than he was. You both played your hands correctly (presumably), and unless its a chopped pot, someone has to lose it. Thats all, there is to it, and there is no point in getting overly emotional about losing in a particular way.