Low pocket pairs - what to do?

mikester47

mikester47

Freeroll #8 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DarkDingo said:
im normaly slow playing my low pocket pairs and then go more aggressivly after ive hit the trips if i do if i dont im folding
yeah they really are the greatest or worst thing in poker, those low pocket pairs

T

thomsen6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play the low pocket pairs only in position, raise with theme if that is what u want, if someone hits something at the flop, u can still fold if that someone raises.

Thewebmaster

Thewebmaster

Freeroll #2 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low Pockets ??

Hi all,
I certainly wouldn't go all-in on low pocket pairs, in my experience there is nearly always at least one if not more that will call and with very low pockets I wouldn't feel the odds would be in my favour. Having said that on pocket 2's 3's or 4's I will call even quite a large bet to see the flop, if I don't hit anything I cut my losses to play another hand.
I've had pocket A's lose about 50% of the time for me and i've probably won more times on low pocket pairs. It's hard to follow any advice when what works for one person might not work for another and every game is different, i've probably played pocket pairs differently every time i've got them. Sometimes you just get a feeling and go for it and it works, other times you might slow play low pockets and even hit 4 of a kind and decide to milk it to the river hoping that a couple get a hand worth calling your all-in final bet.
Not much in the way of advice from me but I enjoy reading the posts and seeing how others play some of their hands, bye for now,
Tony ( The Webmaster )

lonemessiah

lonemessiah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't go with the 50/50 rule, it is only roughly 50/50 they will get a higher pair than you pocket pair, if they have to 'over' cards, please remember straights are also more likely if you have 2 different cards, flushes will be more likely if they have suited cards, also if 4 of a suit comes out, it is more likely that they will have a higher suited card.

Not forgetting that if 2 pairs come out, chances are that you are suddenly left with the lowest kicker. Low pocket pairs rarely have a 50/50 chance of winning any sort of hand that would call a big raise, so although a raise can be beneficial, i would be wary of going all in, or even making a large raise, if that 3 of a kind doesn't turn up (and chances are that a vast majority of the time it won't) then bail those cards cards if it looks like anyone else has hit a higher pair.

Never hold on for the turn or river to give you 3 of a kind, it just won't happen nearly often enough to work

R

RussGriffith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed. Limp in, and try to hit a set, unless you're heads up, then you can play them more aggessively.

C

charterboss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play them if the amount to call is low and then only after if they hit on the flop -- i think its only been around 10% of the time that when i folded them prior to flop they would have been the winning hand and much much higher percentage that if i play them i lose....this all changes when you get down to 3 or 4 players then i play them more often and harder

B

Benimaru

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Low pocket pairs have broven to be lethal to me. I used to raise them preflop to eliminate limpers but I figure no limper is gonna beat a set if I hit it. I just wait for the flop if no set then get rid of it.

D

Donovan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, this is my theory to playing low pocket pairs, say 7's or less. I will likely call one raise in middle possition or even put in the first raise in late position to try to win the pot right there. As long as I can see a flop with these cards cheap I love them. Especially when dealing with very low pairs like 2's or 3's, if you do hit a set it will be very hard to detect, especially when you put in a raise preflop. Therefore when the flop comes up A J 2 your likely to break somone. More often than not if there is one raise in and it seems likely you not be raised it's good to take a flop with small pockets, my strategy is to play them much like Axs or suited connectors but just a little more aggressively. These are hands that favor alot of players in the hand and not alot of aggressive raising. I dislike the bet hard pre flop and again bet hard post flop strategy a great deal because your really stripping the power from your cards and turning them into 2 7 off suit. Why play them that way when they really do have some power.

D

daka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with "Cubswin" on this one

and Go Cubby's!!!

Leftylou

Leftylou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:stupido:
Chatmaster said:
On a low pocket pair you only raise if a 3rd one fall on the flop. You cannot raise like crazy in the beginning with such a hand and you certainly do not have a 20% chance of winning the pot with a pair of deuces. The chances of someone else getting a higher hand dealt to them is to high.

I would call to see the flop and pray that there is another deuce or else I'll just fold.

What would you do with a 2,7 suited? The odds are higher that you will get a flush than take the pot with a pair of deuces.
I'm quoting this whole message, verbatim, cause everyone should read this twice. Including me! Leftylou

S

SeiferFF8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At a full table at any position, i limp in with low pockets and hope for the miracle set.

If it's too expensive to see the flop, then it's an easy fold just like a flop with overcards.

I never chase a set after the flop because the pot odds are against you and your potential set could be someone else's straight or flush

I definately overbet when I do hit a set to make drawers pay to try and crack me.

C

capax

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is definate logic in playing low pocket pairs in both table and tournament play. But I would say the biggest factor in whether or not to play them is in what position you are. The earlier you are the less likely i owuld be to play a low pocket pair. Considering that thare are 50+ starting hands that are better than pocket 4's you are hoping for the 1 in 5 chance of getting a set on the flop. If you don't get it your best bet is to find the quickest out.

M

mattlandry1000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise 3 times the big blind pre-flop. It's a good way to get the limpers out and also get a read on the competition

T

TITANS488

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
with a low pocket pair i will usually just play them and hope to hit a set on the flop