Loose or tight

allinraw

allinraw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im a pretty tight player but lately I've loosin it up..I win more when I play loose and aggressive it seems like..I don't know depends on if I'm up or down too..If I'm up with a massive chip stack I start playing looser lol I be cracking big hands that way and become a suckout king idk lol how do you guys like playing and why???

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It depends on how the other players styles are. More aggressive if the other players fold too much. More passive if they often bluff. More loose if they pay of big post or fold to much. Tight if they are good OR bad pre flop.

But if you are a big stack in a MTT it is often right to put a little more pressure on the medium and sometimes small stacks since they are often more afraid of the risk of being eliminated.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I am a tight player but I try to learn to play a little more loose game , by limping or raising some hands in position , cause my big hands are not paid enough lol . But I still have many to learn in the future to become better :) Definetely for me being tight at all is not good .

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a LAG style for a bit but realized that many regular players catch on so they begin calling you lightly. It's a great way to play against tight players who stick to their tight strategy instead of adapting but once you go down that road, your bankroll will have some major upswings/downswings.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im a tight player too, so i can relate. and you need to know when to change your playing style during a tourney. because each fase its different. how is your table playing, because you are be moving around tables, so thats it what will dictate.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a tight player but can loosen it up especially in position. Sometimes can help you pull off more bluffs having a tighter image.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a tight player but I try to learn to play a little more loose game , by limping or raising some hands in position , cause my big hands are not paid enough lol . But I still have many to learn in the future to become better :) Definetely for me being tight at all is not good .

This sums me up pretty well.

allinraw

allinraw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how the other players styles are. More aggressive if the other players fold too much. More passive if they often bluff. More loose if they pay of big post or fold to much. Tight if they are good OR bad pre flop.

But if you are a big stack in a MTT it is often right to put a little more pressure on the medium and sometimes small stacks since they are often more afraid of the risk of being eliminated.
Thanx for the response..Yeahh I usually watch the way the players play and take out the fish and bluffers..

allinraw

allinraw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanx for the response..guess it all matters on the table ur at and if you got a lot of fishes or not lol

allinraw

allinraw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a LAG style for a bit but realized that many regular players catch on so they begin calling you lightly. It's a great way to play against tight players who stick to their tight strategy instead of adapting but once you go down that road, your bankroll will have some major upswings/downswings.
Agreed..

allinraw

allinraw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a tight player but can loosen it up especially in position. Sometimes can help you pull off more bluffs having a tighter image.
I def agree being a tight player you can bluff way easier and they will think you have a big hand lol

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Way change in the play style

When a play style is changed on the way of the tournament and the cash game, there is a case that I excel greatly.

There is a lot of that.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The best style of play is tight-aggressive. Against aggressive and loose opponents, it is best to play tight and against passive opponents it is best to play aggressively. I love the tight style more, but it all depends on my mood and well-being. It also plays a role on whether I play cash or in a tournament. In cash I play more tightly, and in tournaments more aggressively.

V

Vlad Savchenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically so called TAG style is much closer to optimal play than LAG. Top players all have roughly the same VPIP/PFR, and it falls under a TAG category.
You can start opening looser if your opponents are overfolding a lot preflop or postflop, or if you have an enormous edge against your opponents, but overall this isn't a great idea, as it's better to move up and face better opposition, battling for more money rather than grinding one low stake your entire career.
Against opponents of roughly your skill level you will just get destroyed, as your ranges will be weaker and you will be the one forced to either overfold or go to showdown with marginal holdings.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be playing according to your chip stack. When you have between 20-40 bb you’d want to play a bit tighter especially if your close to the money. If you have a large chip stack you should be playing fairly loose and if you’re short stacked you just need to play the odds.

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know whether I am right or not but to become a great poker player you need all the tactics tight or aggressive the difference is not all the tactics at the right moment

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A little bit of everything...

I believe there are many different variables in how to play...

- your stack vs others at the table
- position at table and in game
- the other players style of play
- where you are at in the tournament (early vs. late)

I also don't think that playing aggressive and playing loose are the same.

Normally, I try to play a fairly tight game but sometimes I have to be more aggressive or play a little loose but again, all the above things play in to my style at the time.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a bit of both depending on the tournament and stakes involved.

W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do a lot of both but lately I've been leaning towards a tighter play. Gotta build that bankroll lol

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I adapt according to the table and hand as every hand takes a life of its own, but I generally play aggressive.

I advocate an aggressive style because I feel a person's ability to do so and be uninhibited doing so has a huge advantage over someone who's too afraid to make certain plays. Even alot of poker pros today don't have that extreme boldness that a few poker pros have.

The few ones that have it are already at an advantage. Sure you might bluff off more chips here and there and risk losing your stack, but there's alot of times in which you can get a great laydown for a big pot since you're willing to go that EXTRA step.

The more you have in your arsenal and the less uninhibited you are, the more your skill advantage grows.

And plus there's so much creativity (in poker, you can only bet, raise, fold, or call; those are all the actions used to be creative lol) that goes into poker given the board texture and all. Take advantage of it!

Last edited:
0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically so called TAG style is much closer to optimal play than LAG. Top players all have roughly the same VPIP/PFR, and it falls under a TAG category.
You can start opening looser if your opponents are overfolding a lot preflop or postflop, or if you have an enormous edge against your opponents, but overall this isn't a great idea, as it's better to move up and face better opposition, battling for more money rather than grinding one low stake your entire career.
Against opponents of roughly your skill level you will just get destroyed, as your ranges will be weaker and you will be the one forced to either overfold or go to showdown with marginal holdings.

I generally agree with this but would want to add one point. You need to be able to adapt your game to maximize EV. There may be situations in which you want to open nearly all hands in LP assuming blinds are player that call very often preflop but then fold to COntinuationbets on the flop a lot. You might want to play much tighter if you get 3B a ton.

So you. We’d to be a bit flexible on your specific ranges and understand how they match the range of your opponent.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I believe that the success of the strategy to be used ... will always depend on the way your opponents play ..., so it is always best to take a few minutes and analyze your opponents before establishing your game strategy .. !