Looking for advise on a 1/2/5 utg strategy adjustment

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all - so i started playing a home game (1/2 75%+ straddle 5 (button or utg...utg has priority for straddle option))

The game plays DEEP. average stack is usually around 2K

None of the players are just BAD. Players call and raise lots when they are in position...4 bets are not uncommon.

So the area i could use some help with is what to do with my utg & utg+1 ranges.

I'm finding that I'm put in some really nasty spots too often when I have hands like 99+ kqs+...story tends to go me raise, someone call(or raise) and another 2 call (or someone else raises again)...these hands seem too good to fold pre...my thoughts on adjustments are as follows:

1. Start limp call and limp raise the top of my range and add a few bluff hands to do the same for balance

2. Just fold everything less than JJ+

3. Flat more 3 and 4 bets...donk lead/fold on boards that have multiple face cards (assuming here that the 3&4 bets are generally too light

3.b same as above but plan check/raises on good boards

4. start straddling utg and look to raise top part of range and a few bluffs

Other thoughts??

Thanks for your input

Last edited:
Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just raise call all JJ+, ATs+ that are less likely to be dominated when you have "nuts". No 4bet/5bet range, just don't bloat the pot OOP

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just raise call all JJ+, ATs+ that are less likely to be dominated when you have "nuts". No 4bet/5bet range, just don't bloat the pot OOP

Thanks for the advise! I'll look to tighten up more, it is a cash game...so i like the idea of having less raise/fold hands in my arsenal. The post flop play of course is a horse of another color...but yeah was just making it too hard to play these hands post flop and being oop

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing that deep I would just straddle all day in UTG. You are basically looking at getting a small pocket pair to cracks ones big pre flop hand. I would change limits for go up to 250BB max starting. 1,000 BB deep all hands except offsuits 3 gappers + Q7os,K2os,J3os hands are playable change you with implied odds.

N

nicolndimes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would tighten up even more that JJ+, A10s. Limiting myself to JJ+, AQs, AKo UTG. That should limit the spots you put yourself in. IF there in a button straddle, some lower pocket pairs would get added to the mix, but folded to a 3-bet.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given hero is so deep, it doesen't really matter too much if hero is 3betted time to time, because many times we can call. Hands like JJ+ are annoying because one can not play big pot with one pair type hands, same goes with AKo. Not saying one can not open those lol, but deep stack poker is post flop oriented game.

Better google it and study it, links like below give you the starting point:
https://www.pokerlistings.com/strategy/cash-game-nl/playing-with-deep-stacks
https://www.cardschat.com/deep-stacked-poker.php

Last edited:
G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing that deep I would just straddle all day in UTG. You are basically looking at getting a small pocket pair to cracks ones big pre flop hand. I would change limits for go up to 250BB max starting. 1,000 BB deep all hands except offsuits 3 gappers + Q7os,K2os,J3os hands are playable change you with implied odds.

Thanks for this perspective. My last session I did start straddling once the average stack was over 1000 BBs ; sadly didn't smash any hands this go around, but I like the idea. I'm also thinking I should be able to steal limps and make squeeze plays with occasionally +ev given I have a generally tight image.