limping with ace rags suited?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't coach. If that was sarcasm sorry wasn't sure since no smiley. :)

What about all the cases where you get limps raised or raises reraised? Call and miss what do you do since you are acting first? You call hoping to hit a 4-5 flush? You reraise and get called and are out of position. You call the raise and now someone else goes all-in with their probably medium pocket what do you do then? Everyone limps and there is an A on the flop but someone probably with a better Ax starts calling you down? You'd have to be too lucky to consistently limp or raise weak A's like A3s from early position at a full 9-10 person table.

My biggest argument against Ax being like small pocket pairs is that your weak aces are much harder to play post flop. After the flop you know if you have a set, over pair, the board is above you, and what kind of players are in the hand with you.

Since your sarcasm meter appears to have broken let me help you:

IT WAS SARCASM!!!!!

You advocated limping with AK, why would anyone ever listen to you again???

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, this. Everything you say from here on out is pretty much just the warbling of a losing player.

zek

zek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It doesn't say all of the time. You can't play every hand the same way every time you get it. I'm more likely to raise with AK at tight tables, and even more likely when it's suited or later positions. I'm more likely to limp in earlier positions and if I'm at a loose table with some other players likely to do the raising and post-flop betting for me. I'm usually good for a check raise somewhere in here eventually too. If you always come out firing pre-flop you scare away some potential AQ's or worse that are willing to call down their stack to someone who did not raise pre-flop. I guess I'm saying mix up your play and mix in some check raises with them when you hit. The AK's are money makers for me. I attached a screen shot for my March AK cash game stats. I understand it's not a lifetime statistically meaningful number of hands. If you are not interested that's fine, but maybe someone else is interested in trying out varying their play and not always raising with them. Different ways of playing should not be summarily dismissed as "losing poker".

March AK

Last edited by a moderator:
c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you always come out firing pre-flop you scare away some potential AQ's or worse that are willing to call down their stack to someone who did not raise pre-flop.
A) No one folds AQ preflop.
B) No one limps AQ behind you after you limp AK.
C) Even if that did happen, most non-shitty players won't stack (or allow you to stack) top pair when the SPR is like a trillion.
D) I'm on a huge downswing right now at about -3bb/100 and my AK winnings are still higher than yours.

cucumber_pandas

cucumber_pandas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, limping with Ax hands is generally pretty bad. Sometimes i will do it if they are suited and there are a bunch of limps in front of me and I am CO or BTN and don't want to raise preflop as I will be playing a huge pot mutiway most likely.

greywind50

greywind50

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I "USE" to play Ax's from any position trying to see a cheap flop but after reading this thread I now understand why it's a losing strategy. THANKS!

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you're on a really tight table and can steal in position it's a fold hand. If you limp in you're most likely just giving money away.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually only play them if I am 1st in MP/LP and or if 2+ have limped in front of me from LP.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping with Ace rag is shit. Don't do it...

Limping with most cards is bad but if your going to do it at least do it with suited connectors or low pockets when your in position. Your saying that you like it when you limp and manage to make your flush, why not do it with 7,8s and give yourself the chance of making a straight as well?

As for if you hit an ace on the flop, check out the table at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_probability_%28Texas_hold_%27em%29
This has the Probability of facing an ace with larger kicker when holding Ax.

Holding A,5 at a 9 handed table there is a 50% chance of someone having a better kicker than yours so you can toss that straight into the muck.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like open shoving Axs much more than limping with it.

:dito: , but tbh, I prefer open-raising and then 4bet shoving over villain's light 3bet. More dead moneyz. :D

If someone raises behind me,
depending on the opponent and the pot size, I may call or fold.

Out of curiosity, what makes you call and what makes you fold when you get iso-raised?

C

crowhui

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how your style is really,i do limp with A-X or pocket low pair and it's been workin' out for me...

O

ongkie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try not to limp in at micros. more limping in tournaments especially. at bigger table, a raise is possible