Limping AA/KK utg?

CarlosLemarDixon

CarlosLemarDixon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

Most importantly, the cards I am holding have no bearing on how I am coming into the pot. You were asking about AA or KK in early position, but I play them the same as I would play JTo, 44, 96s or AKo. My position dictates if a hand is playable, but once I decide to play it, I'm playing it the same as any other hand from that position.

Every time I arrive at a new table, my first order of business is generally to look for the aggressive players. I want to quickly find out who likes to raise preflop, especially those that come in for a raise with limpers in front of them. Based on this, I can generally determine which positions are likely to be favorable for a raise after I come into the pot, and those positions are the ones which I will limp with any cards that I choose to play. I can then either re-raise or fold, depending on the cards that I am holding.

For example, if there are two aggresive pre-flop raisers at my table, then I will only open-limp in the positions where I am acting before them. If they have already passed, I will raise if I'm coming in, and if they limp, I will pass unless I have a hand that can stand a reraise. (Of course it's possible that they are limping with a multi-way hand, but it's far more likely that the limp is a trap.)

Any time that a major change occurs (I get moved, a new player arrives at the table, or one of the aggressive players busts-out or slows-down) I re-evaluate the table positions.

Ideally, whenever I limp strong hands based on position, the table dynamics work as planned and I get raised, but sometimes it does just get called and then checked on the BB. When this happens, I play very carefully and understand that I'm probably going to want to keep the pot small unless I flop a monster.

This style of play only works if you have the discipline to fold an overpair (even AA) against significant action when the pot was unraised preflop. I find that the times that I wind up with limpers caught between the original raiser and my reraise more than make up for it.

Good luck! :)
This is the best comment. Just reminds me that balance is key. Now that I have read this I start to meditate on the fact that a extremely Intilectuial will limp. For the longest I believed that limping was weak however from this I understand that you really have to evaluate your ops in order to make better pre flop choices. Thanks

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering how everybody else plays top hands under the gun in a regular 9 person holdem table. It works beautifully for me when people cooperate and raise, but I saw how it can completely go awry yesterday when it didn't pan out for me. (K6 checked the bb and flopped a set) I usually don't do this everytime i get aces or kings first to act; it depends on if i see a short stack that could push or if somebodys on tilt, etc. Is it a good play to limp these hands, or should you just raise so there's no chance of a cheap limp-around? How does everyone else play AA, KK, etc UTG? Thanks!
Hi There. I like to limp with AA and KK from under the gun. It feels like most times I make a raise with them, almost everyone folds. When I limp, usually at least 1 player will put in a raise pre-flop, and then I get action. This is just my opinion, and I do mix it up here and there though, where I will put in a 3xBB-4xBB raise pre-flop with AA or another monster hand under the gun. Have a good day !!! :cool:

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will typical do a min raise. I love when I min raise and get a reraise when I've got a monster like that. But if you just call and let others limp or even let the BB check you are in a dangerous position.

I like how someone up in the comments mentions if you do let people limp in you would generally want to keep the pot small. When people limp in then start betting and raising, it's usually pretty safe to say their bad hand has struck gold. In these situations it takes great discipline to fold a premium hand like AA or KK.

I dont like limping or slow playing monsters. Even just buying the blinds and ante is better than getting sucked out on and losing chips. A win is a win

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was just wondering how everybody else plays top hands under the gun in a regular 9 person holdem table. It works beautifully for me when people cooperate and raise, but I saw how it can completely go awry yesterday when it didn't pan out for me. (K6 checked the bb and flopped a set) I usually don't do this everytime i get aces or kings first to act; it depends on if i see a short stack that could push or if somebodys on tilt, etc. Is it a good play to limp these hands, or should you just raise so there's no chance of a cheap limp-around? How does everyone else play AA, KK, etc UTG? Thanks!

Unless you are so short stacked that you will jam the flop OOP - you are limping UTG to trap a raiser in later position - and hoping to have some callers in between you and the raiser that will be dead money when they fold preflop.

If you choose to limp with a big pair like that - you just have to be ready to fold it - unless you get a set you only have one pair with maybe a good flush draw.

Many players don't want to release their big pair because they get too attached.

Good luck !

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion is to alternate limp and raise. depends on the opponents at the table. but more often raise

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The following hand is $1-$2 NL at Caesar's in South Indiana on Thursday night.

Hero stack: $300​

Villain stack: $600​

*** PRE-FLOP ***

BTN straddle to $5
SB (Hero): limps $5 [ :ac4: :ah4: ]
BB: limps $5
UTG: limps $5
MP: limps $5
MP1: limps $5
HJ: lamps $5
CO: limps $5
BTN (V): raises $20
SB (H): raises $60
all folds​
BTN (V): calls $60
Pot Size: $150
Everything is going according to plan at this point. The button had raised his straddle 3 of the last 4 orbits and I was hoping to exploit this.

*** FLOP *** [ :kd4: :4c4: :jd4: ]
Hero : checks
BTN : checks
Pot Size: $150
I don't like this flop as JJ and maybe KJs are possible holdings for him.

*** TURN ***
[ :kd4: :4c4: :js4: :kh4:]
BTN : bets $35
Hero : calls $35
Pot Size: $240
I like the turn even less now that AK and KQ are winners for him but can't fold for $35.

*** RIVER ***
[ :kd4: :4c4: :js4: :kh4: :7s4: ]
BTN : checks
Pot Size: $240
Villain shows :9s4: :9c4:

There was nothing I liked about this hand after pre-flop and just kept hoping to get to showdown. It worked out but I wasn't comfortable at all. I wouldn't have played it this way unless there was a specific exploit I was trying to take advantage of. But if he had bet close to pot on the river, there's a strong likelihood I would have folded.​

Last edited:
kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically you invited anyone with any 2 to call you pre-flop... pot odds say call even with marginal hands...
I understand that you expected villain to raise anyway, but even then people with suited connectors or pocket pairs still have a good reason to see a flop...
Why allow them to get lucky? Limping with a strong hand like that preflop is usually a great way to end up in a desaster....
And why check the flop ? There are only 3 hands that have you beaten already. Why give villain another chance to get lucky for free here?

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, what a good discussion))) I think limbo call is always a very very bad decision, especially with AA and QC, and then these same people write that we are afraid of such a strong pocket card. Hello, guys, just learn how to play them confidently and uncompromisingly:rolleyes:

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically you invited anyone with any 2 to call you pre-flop... pot odds say call even with marginal hands...
I understand that you expected villain to raise anyway, but even then people with suited connectors or pocket pairs still have a good reason to see a flop...
Why allow them to get lucky? Limping with a strong hand like that preflop is usually a great way to end up in a desaster....
And why check the flop ? There are only 3 hands that have you beaten already. Why give villain another chance to get lucky for free here?

I checked the flop because JJ was definitely in his range after calling the 3-bet. So what is the sequence if I lead?
1. I bet out $75-$85
a. he calls or raises and I'm crushed (KK, JJ, KJs)
b. he calls and I'm still ahead (AK, QQ, KQs)
c. he folds (TT, 99, 88, 77) because of the 2 overcards
Of these 10 scenarios, only three have a favorable outcome (option b). The pot bloats to $300 and I have $165 left with no fold equity.
2. I check and keep the pot reasonable
I don't have a monster, I only have AA.

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, what a good discussion))) I think limbo call is always a very very bad decision, especially with AA and QC, and then these same people write that we are afraid of such a strong pocket card. Hello, guys, just learn how to play them confidently and uncompromisingly:rolleyes:

One other factor in my hand was that the table had a very interesting dynamic. Most of the table was limping all night. They were not calling raises. I was raising with T9s, AJo, and 76s. They all folded immediately. If I make a standard raise, I stand to make $7 (BB + BTN straddle). I've heard that most players play to win pots, not money. That is, as long as I bet big and my aces don't get cracked it'll be a good night. As I stated AA, are 75% against suited connectors and 80% against other pairs. Some action is not a bad thing. I'm am not advocating this as a standard play. I had a specific plan with my hand it worked pre-flop and it still put me in a tough spot. But someone is going to have to put some real math behind some comments before I believe it was absolutely a "bad" play.:deal:

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I typically will raise a standard amount with AA or KK UTG. I will limp on occasion just to mix it up. If I have a player behind that likes to raise I may limp more so I can reraise.

iWin210

iWin210

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually raise preflop no matter what. If u get called or reraised u got what u were wishing for.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually against a single opponent and if the flop suits me. I 3bet preflop to bet the pot on the flop and push all-in on the turn if it is not already the case.

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm raising 2 BBs UTG usually and hoping for a 3 bet. Depends on progress of the tournament and my stack size sometimes it's necessary to shove. I would never limp UTG. On one hand experienced player would know that you have a huge hand. I think your range reduces. On the other hand you'll let to many hands to be involved in the pot, that you don't want to be into.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I raise 95% of the time standard with AA or KK UTG. make that move from clean to explore the maniacs players can be good, but also you the opportunity
to other players enter the hand

kissapig

kissapig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once had AA utg and limped, got a few more limpers then raised by the button. I called hoping others would call but I ended up hu with the button. Flop comes KKQ and I check, button raises half pot and I call hoping for an A on the turn. Loose call to be sure, should have folded right there but I'm optimistic to a fault. Turn J and another check raise call. River 9 and I check. He shoves. I fold. That hand cured me of limping with AA.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mix it

I have no problem with a standard raise with these cards, but depending on the player that is hyper aggressive, this may call for a trap (limp) hoping it doesn't backfire.

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise. In my experience, too much bad can happen when you slowplay a hand that should win almost all of the time. AA-KK is not a bluffing hand. Slowplaying is for when you back into a monster against aggressive/loose players.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is something we want to incorporate in our game, yet not do all the time. We have to remember, we have to play a style that can disguise our hands and not play the same way each time. If we limp with our okay hands AND our monsters UTG, then this can turn out to be a very profitable play.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm against open limping (I consider it as a weakness). Given that, always raise with monsters preflop otherwise the move will look suspicious if someone limps all of a sudden.
But if someone limps many hands (which I insist that I don't like xD) like I guess small pocket pairs and some suited connectors, etc then yes I think it makes much sense to limp some of his monsters too, otherwise he 'll be exploitable.

Although it's a nice move I prefer a standard raise (because of the reasons above) for every hand which is always a better disguise (limp->3bet pretty much sounds the alarms)

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Play with the arrogance of the Pharaoh!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I checked the flop because JJ was definitely in his range after calling the 3-bet. So what is the sequence if I lead?
1. I bet out $75-$85
a. he calls or raises and I'm crushed (KK, JJ, KJs)
b. he calls and I'm still ahead (AK, QQ, KQs)
c. he folds (TT, 99, 88, 77) because of the 2 overcards
Of these 10 scenarios, only three have a favorable outcome (option b). The pot bloats to $300 and I have $165 left with no fold equity.
2. I check and keep the pot reasonable
I don't have a monster, I only have AA.

I really like the way you played this!

You raise big and isolate preflop -- Hallelujah!

When I isolate an opponent preflop w AA - I am only working to get my stack in. I barely care how the board runs out....except 4 to a flush that I don't have.

Checking the flop made him think you didn't have any of that. Maybe TT maybe QQ maybe AQ - maybe A5s and try to teach the button straddle a lesson? He was wondering until the 2nd King came out and then he was more confident you didn't have one.

And...heh heh...I assume you guys were sitting right next to each other as the table was watching the action!

Poor guy actually had a good button hand 99 - but his 2 pair no good. I think his mistake was calling your Turn bet and not raising big.

Would you have folded your AA if he jammed the river? I have been in this situation several times - especially OOP - and all 3 times in recent memory they had air - missed draws and there was too much money in the pot for them not to try and steal it.....I tank called all 3 of those times......and they usually put out a large pot-size river bet....that large bet is what got me to call....it was them telling me to go away!

Edit: Just read your answer about river bet.
Good luck !

Last edited:
antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
AA very dangerour to limp with such a premium hand . In ZOOM cash games rarely I will . KK is another story , I have been rewarded too many times when I limped cowboys UTG , watching the action and speak last with call or shove , see the flop for a set or low cards and play , or an Ace or scary board and GTFO of this hand :)

AK in ZOOM 9 max I might do it rarelly , especially when very short stacked so as to 3bet/4bet shove and double up my stack . In tourneys I might do it to reshove , but I don't think I have a clear picture whether it is usefull in tourneys or not , I don't know yet whether I have more profits than losses by doing this .

QQ is so fragile , I really don't know in tourneys when I am not shortstacked , so afraid when I get it UTG , if I raise sb else shoves. and gets there with AK , KK , AA , or even with sth worse like Ax , also AQ or KJ KQ !!!!
But when shortstacked better shove QQ without hesitation , at least bet , or else ......................................
PokerStars, $0.24 + $0.03 - Hold'em No Limit - 500/1,000 (125 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

3722BMZ (UTG): 27,169 (27 bb)
b3nJo1989 (UTG+1): 9,509 (10 bb)
tubs36 (MP): 33,088 (33 bb)
vatoff (MP+1): 32,334 (32 bb)
DLiberator (LP): 14,289 (14 bb)
xxxm738 (CO): 25,037 (25 bb)
Markel456 (BU): 22,258 (22 bb)
CyndiLoPair (SB): 4,914 (5 bb)
Buratina007 (BB): 21,043 (21 bb)

Pre-Flop: (2,625) Hero (3722BMZ) is UTG with Q Q
3722BMZ (UTG) calls 1,000, 7 players fold, Buratina007 (BB) raises to 20,918 (all-in), 3722BMZ (UTG) calls 19,918

Flop: (43,461) 7 J 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (43,461) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (43,461) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 43,461

Showdown:
Buratina007 (BB) shows T T (a straight, Seven to Jack)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 24%, Turn: 14%, River: 100%)

3722BMZ (UTG) shows Q Q (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 76%, Turn: 86%, River: 0%)

Buratina007 (BB) wins 43,461