Limp - 3 bet SCs utg. Yes or no? And why?

S

strick9customz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm curious to hear some players thoughts on limping hands like 56s 67s utg then repopping a late position raiser, or squeezing a raiser and a caller. (I tend to prefer the second situation as you have much better pot odds if you get flatted by both.) Of course you will have to play the whole hand out of position and you are always at risk of being 4 Bet by strong hands but have you ever employed this technique? I find that it looks like KK AA to most people and is VERY profitable when you smash a str8 or flush and str8 draw. Thoughts?

S

strick9customz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like this is a great tool to have in your arsenal when used sparingly because it opens your utg 3 bet range WAY wider than hands like AKs KK AA. Meaning, if players see you make this move, you are far more likely to be played back at when you DO have AA KK. That paired with the chance of stealing the pot when you lead out (which you should basically always do when called) and the chance that you flop a monster which Is well disguised, seem to make plays like this worth it to me. Oh and you can easily get away from it when played back at or when you miss and get looked up.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm curious to hear some players thoughts on limping hands like 56s 67s utg then repopping a late position raiser, or squeezing a raiser and a caller. (I tend to prefer the second situation as you have much better pot odds if you get flatted by both.) Of course you will have to play the whole hand out of position and you are always at risk of being 4 Bet by strong hands but have you ever employed this technique? I find that it looks like KK AA to most people and is VERY profitable when you smash a str8 or flush and str8 draw. Thoughts?

low suited connectors are mostly not profitable for many people from utg. Like you mentioned you play oop, you have many people behind. If you would like to balance it with your monster hands then you wouldn't definitely get maximum value from your top range. So it's senseless to limp aces or kings. Generally limping is pretty bad idea. Simply you can't win a pot preflop by making a limp. Limp/raising is just a fishy play on cash games. People think that if they hit sometimes and win a huge pot with their suited combos played by limp/call or limp/raise they make a profit. Believe me. If you would make a large volume you would notice how this is a bad idea. In long run your hands won't make a profit by playing this way

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No way. maybee limping Top range vs maniac who raises limps and attacks with very large bets.

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is interesting and could have certain success in a tight table, the problem is when playing vs loose fishes they will pay you too frecuently, and then what?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I love a good squeeze!!

But personally I have had good success with this play from the BB - so it's a cold 3-bet.

In the end you are still limping and 3-betting with 7-high OOP. If you hit the bottom end of your straight with 67s then QJ has the nut straight. Two pair might be a better prospect?

If you keep your c-bet and turn-bet cheap OOP that should be apparent to your opponents - who have position on you!

If you can pull this off then more power to you! I like the comment that says this is a good tool in your kit - but basically you are usually bluffing out of position - at least for a street or two.

Good luck !

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
No just no.

The fact that you get harder to read can never make up for the range and position disadvantage.

If you play against good players you can put in some low percentage of suited connectors from EP just for board cover and unpredictability but raise them the same as you would with all the other better hands.

If you play against very bad players that pay you off then you hit you can expand your range to include these hands also.

But there is a reason that no charts recommend them from early position: that is that is very hard to earn money with them OOP.