Is learning GTO going to help me crush 50NL?

M

MrUnlikely

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get the general idea that no one can possibly beat you if you play GTO. Recently I have used a couple of GTO Apps for 5-10 minutes and felt like I was learning something. I feel with practice, I could emulate the type of play, although not exactly, I see in these GTO apps.

My concern is that I am not sure this would help me win. Would it? If I played very close to GTO would I be expected to have a good win rate?

My concerns are this:

If GTO tells me to triple barrel bluff with a draw (I am not sure it ever does this because 10 minutes isn't much) and the players I am playing against play pretty tight, then I will tend to fold out weak or medium strength hands on the turn and get stacked on the river by strong hands.

As a GTO strategy is unbeatable, does this mean that I simply get stacked in these situations, but make up for it by stacking them when I have a premium hand that beats their strong hand?

Also, on a paired flop say KK7, GTO says to bet 1/3 pot on a AJ and , from memory, fold to a raise. Again, I understand GTO is not exploitable, but if they play aggressively on paired boards, won't I overfold when I call, can't they just give up? Considering how rarely I would have a K that seems like a bad strategy. Is the answer that my understanding of the GTO play in this position is not correct and I should be calling a significant amount of the time, and maybe rearising sometimes? That is what I would tend to do vs tricky players.

Finally, I noted the last time I played that the SB was raising to 12BB when the initial raise was 3-4 BB. This seemed larger than I was used to and new. Would GTO teach me how to deal with these large preflop raises? (In the end I got annoyed and started rearising them and the result was a very high frequency fold from the SB, but I was expecting to eventually run into a premium hand and get hurt)

I am capable of adapting my play and would adapt if I saw something like someone bluffing frequently.

Is studying GTO a good way to improve from a slightly winning player to someone who could consider going professional? (For the record I am a losing player due to tilt, but my A game is certainly winning). I currently think my winrate is only slightly higher than the rake, so I might go from $100 to $400 over 10-20 hours of play of $25NL or $50NL but pay something like $300 or in rake which is sickening to me.

I am sure I have significant other leaks including a horrible redline. (is it redline when you are sticky and then fold?, or call large raise pre and fold when not hitting set)

I would be interested in what GTO trainers you guys recommend and what you think they will do for me.

I have always thought I should get some coaching, but I have no idea who to try. Coaches or people who have used coaches please let me know your rates and recommendations. What kind of rates are typical? $60 an hour? $100 an hour? I think initially, I would have obvious leaks that could be easily identified. Most of all, going all in pre with 33 because I am on tilt after a couple of unlucky hands.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"As a GTO strategy is unbeatable"

You are making a fundamental mistake. GTO is not unbeatable. Its unexploitable. Big difference.

M

MrUnlikely

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"As a GTO strategy is unbeatable"

You are making a fundamental mistake. GTO is not unbeatable. Its unexploitable. Big difference.

What is the difference? If you can't be exploited, how can you lose? -apart from bad luck.

I guess one way that when people play too closely to GTO and luck is about even, both players will lose to the rake.

A strategy to beat GTO would require exploiting a weakness, and as GTO can't be exploited, it is therefore unbeatable, isn't it?

Therefore, GTO is unexploitable and therefore unbeatable, isn't it?

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is the difference? If you can't be exploited, how can you lose? -apart from bad luck.

I guess one way that when people play too closely to GTO and luck is about even, both players will lose to the rake.

A strategy to beat GTO would require exploiting a weakness, and as GTO can't be exploited, it is therefore unbeatable, isn't it?

Its more of a defensive strategy than an offensive one. The closer your opponent is playing to GTO the more defensive it is.

Its goal is to not be exploitable but does not always take the most profitable line so as not to be exploitable. You sacrifice profits so as not to be exploitable.

The most profitable line to take against opponents will involve maximally exploiting their imbalances through a specific counter-strategy.

It is good to add to your arsenal of weapons but against an easily exploitable opponent its not that useful.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ask someone who is crushing 50nl (< that is not me)

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GTO is good even in non tough games in that understanding GTO continuing ranges helps you to pick much better bluffing candidates and bluff catching candidates. Also if you know GTO ranges, you can use it as a baseline to widen or tighten your ranges based on your opponent tendencies. If you know GTO it also allows you to understand when your opponent is making mistakes since you will have an idea of the proper defending and openning frequencies.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

GTO will passively exploit bad players, but it won't maximize your earnings from bad players. GTO might earn you 5 BB/100 hands from bad players, but maximum exploitation might earn you 15BB/100 hands from bad opponents.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
To simplify GTO, it's about ranges and balance. If you play rock, paper, cisor with a GTO perspective you have to choose each option 33% of the time, even if your opponent knows that, he can't exploit you. But if you start to deviate let's say you choose an option around 45-50% of the time, and villain notice it, he will adapt and will exploit you. Now in poker you have the starting ranges at each position, 3bet ranges...etc these ranges should contains some bluffs otherwise you are too predictable, if you always 3bet with premium hands it's not gonna make it, you have to add some marginal hands and play them like your premium ones.
Now on some flops (boards) there is a player who has the range advantage like you mentioned "Also, on a paired flop say KK7, GTO says to bet 1/3 pot on a AJ" if you had a K you you would bet 1/3 pot to get paid by a 7 and in the Turn you'll barrel again with a high ratio (above 60%). You play your bluffs like when you have a hand.
I would say also that adaptaion is the key, profiling players is what leads you to success. If you play a calling station on the previous board (KK7) won't gonna work because he will call with 66, 55 try to hit his 2 outers or win at showdown if your hand don't improve. But if you play a reg he surely will fold the best hand.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get the general idea that no one can possibly beat you if you play GTO. Recently I have used a couple of GTO apps for 5-10 minutes and felt like I was learning something. I feel with practice, I could emulate the type of play, although not exactly, I see in these GTO apps.

My concern is that I am not sure this would help me win. Would it? If I played very close to GTO would I be expected to have a good win rate?

My concerns are this:

If GTO tells me to triple barrel bluff with a draw (I am not sure it ever does this because 10 minutes isn't much) and the players I am playing against play pretty tight, then I will tend to fold out weak or medium strength hands on the turn and get stacked on the river by strong hands.

As a GTO strategy is unbeatable, does this mean that I simply get stacked in these situations, but make up for it by stacking them when I have a premium hand that beats their strong hand?

Also, on a paired flop say KK7, GTO says to bet 1/3 pot on a AJ and , from memory, fold to a raise. Again, I understand GTO is not exploitable, but if they play aggressively on paired boards, won't I overfold when I call, can't they just give up? Considering how rarely I would have a K that seems like a bad strategy. Is the answer that my understanding of the GTO play in this position is not correct and I should be calling a significant amount of the time, and maybe rearising sometimes? That is what I would tend to do vs tricky players.

Finally, I noted the last time I played that the SB was raising to 12BB when the initial raise was 3-4 BB. This seemed larger than I was used to and new. Would GTO teach me how to deal with these large preflop raises? (In the end I got annoyed and started rearising them and the result was a very high frequency fold from the SB, but I was expecting to eventually run into a premium hand and get hurt)

I am capable of adapting my play and would adapt if I saw something like someone bluffing frequently.

Is studying GTO a good way to improve from a slightly winning player to someone who could consider going professional? (For the record I am a losing player due to tilt, but my A game is certainly winning). I currently think my winrate is only slightly higher than the rake, so I might go from $100 to $400 over 10-20 hours of play of $25NL or $50NL but pay something like $300 or in rake which is sickening to me.

I am sure I have significant other leaks including a horrible redline. (is it redline when you are sticky and then fold?, or call large raise pre and fold when not hitting set)

I would be interested in what GTO trainers you guys recommend and what you think they will do for me.

I have always thought I should get some coaching, but I have no idea who to try. Coaches or people who have used coaches please let me know your rates and recommendations. What kind of rates are typical? $60 an hour? $100 an hour? I think initially, I would have obvious leaks that could be easily identified. Most of all, going all in pre with 33 because I am on tilt after a couple of unlucky hands.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
GTO strategies are balanced and unexploitative. Hence opponents cannot exploit you. It does make it more likely that you will win against more unbalanced opponents.

However, GTO doesn't maximize EV against all opponents. Sometimes exploitative adjustments make you more EV than GTO. But it's a double edged sword as your opponents can exploit you back.