learning to follow what you learned

bigreD451

bigreD451

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a new recreational player played some cash games and sit n goes. I read a number of post where people claim the tables are fixed. I don't quit believe that. My problem is I'm my own worst enemy.
Example to day I played in a 05/.10 ring game. The problem is I had a pair of J's. Flop boarded another J. At that point I was so centered on the trips I lost concentration to the board. Long story short I was beat by a straight. I knew better but got caught up in my own hand and rather then apply what I've learn. The sad thing is I knew better then to follow the path I was on. From any experienced players what the best way not to get caught up in these situations.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a new recreational player played some cash games and sit n goes. I read a number of post where people claim the tables are fixed. I don't quit believe that. My problem is I'm my own worst enemy.
Example to day I played in a 05/.10 ring game. The problem is I had a pair of J's. Flop boarded another J. At that point I was so centered on the trips I lost concentration to the board. Long story short I was beat by a straight. I knew better but got caught up in my own hand and rather then apply what I've learn. The sad thing is I knew better then to follow the path I was on. From any experienced players what the best way not to get caught up in these situations.

Thank you for posting.

One thing you may try is to always know what the nuts is on every board on every street.
You can get yourself in the habit of knowing this when you are not in a hand. Take the time to think about what the nut hand is on the flop on the turn on the river and then think about how the players are betting. Are they betting like they have the nuts? What would that betting pattern look like for your games?

It takes 10k repetitions to be an expert 3 per hand means only 3333 hands and you will not miss the nuts ever again:D

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just takes time & effort my friend. Good luck.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My problem is I'm my own worst enemy.

Congratulations on this achievement. Your a step ahead of many poker players. You made the error and that was it. Not the site, not the poker gods and no someone stealing from you.

Now to stopping it. One thing I do is after each card come up is deter man what beats me. If nothing we just keep on going but if something now does we need to look at what just happened. Lets say the flop is 2,3,J rainbow. and the turn is a 6 all different suits. You are now beaten by a straight if they have 56. The question you should ask does he have that? Well if you raises and he is a tight player who 3bet you would he really raise 56 here. Of course he does not have it so we should just keep going. The river is a ten and the only hand you lose to is the 56 still. Yeah we can safely say he does not have it. While this is as simple as can be for this hand its taking these type of questions as the hand that plays out that will help you.

Best of luck.

bigreD451

bigreD451

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to look at the situation and the feedback is very helpful.
I'm reading Dan Harrington's books that real points one in the right direction without all the fluff. Next time I play I will try to remember some of the great advice and comments.